Postings by ♥Lennon♥'s Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 66: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Article on ear cropping
♥Drea- mer♥

Show dog in- training

Barked: Sat Apr 23, '11 8:32pm PST 
Anyone concerned about the pain aspect of docking should know there is a reason that it is done at 3-4 days old. The nerves in the tail are not fully formed at that age, so guess what, no feeling in the tail. I have worked for doctors who used lidocaine (local anesthetic) and some who didn't when doing tail docks, and all the puppies have just sat there. No screaming or crying.

I've worked in the veterinary industry for 10 years and have seen many tail docks, dewclaw removals, and ear crops.

Personally, both of my dogs are cropped. Lennon's crop never stood, and I'm ok with that. Dreamer's stands beautifully. Neither dog seemed to be in pain after their surgery, and as earlier mentioned Lennon seemed to be in more pain after his neuter vs. after his ears.

I prefer the cropped look, always have, always will. Personally I believe if cropping/docking/dewclaw removal are made illegal it only opens up a huge black market for kitchen crops, horrible home dock jobs, and infected oozing holes where dewclaws used to be.
[notify]
» There has since been 58 posts. Last posting by , Apr 26 3:43 pm

Dog Health > frequent urinating
♥Drea- mer♥

Show dog in- training

Barked: Thu Apr 14, '11 4:56pm PST 
diabetes and kidney failure are the first things that come to mind. if it is kidney failure they say that by the time you notice symptoms 70% of kidney function is already lost.

good luck with your girl!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by ♥Dreamer♥, Apr 14 4:56 pm

Dog Health > How long is a vet required to keep records?

♥Lenn- on♥

How could you- not LOVE this- face???

Barked: Fri May 14, '10 8:38pm PST 
I don't know what state you are in, but here in Georgia, there is no set "standard" for what constitutes "notes" on any veterinary patient. Every doctor is different. Most vets (I've been a technician for almost 10 years) will at the very least keep track of a pets Temperature, Pulse, and Respirations (TPR) daily, and keep track of any medications the pet is receiving as well as examining the pet daily (if not more than once daily) to see how they are doing.

I agree with the other poster who suggested calling your states veterinary board. They may be your only hope in getting records. Once again, not sure on your state, but in Georgia they are required to keep records for 7 years.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Leah, CGC, May 19 1:23 pm

Dog Health > What made you decide to become a Veterinarian or Vet Tech?

♥Lenn- on♥

Barked: Tue Apr 20, '10 9:35am PST 
For me, it was kind of a "what else would I ever want to do..." kind of moment. I have always loved and had animals, and needed a job after high school. I found a position cleaning kennels and moved up from there. I have been a technician for 9 years now, and cant imagine doing anything else. I was lucky enough to be able to sit for boards in 2008 (I was grandfathered in b/c in Georgia as long as you can prove 5 years experience you can sit) and got my Registered Veterinary Technician license.

I do have dreams of someday going to vet school or becoming a groomer, but if I never accomplish either of those I will still be happy. I love what I do. (even though right now I am going CRAZY trying to find a job!!)
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Sasha Belle, Apr 21 6:00 pm

Dog Health > What vaccines do you get?

♥Drea- mer♥

Show dog in- training

Barked: Mon Apr 19, '10 5:48pm PST 
Lennon and Dreamer get DHPP (no lepto, no corona) and Rabies every 3 years. Louie only gets his rabies every 3 years because of his age. We did run titers on Lennon and Louie last year before we boosted Lennon's DHPP and before we stopped Louie's. We will Titer Lennon and Dreamer the next time they are due before giving vaccines.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Spuds "The Angel Potato Head", Apr 21 7:22 pm

Dog Health > Holy expensive insurance premiums!!!
♥Lenn- on♥

Barked: Thu Apr 15, '10 5:14pm PST 
We don't have insurance, yet. I have been looking at premiums for a while and will get insurance when I get a new job (and can afford it, I've been unemployed for 2 months)

The premium for Lennon (4 1/2 year old great dane WITH pre-existing wobblers disease) is only around $60 per month.

And for Dreamer (2 year old great dane who is not spayed b/c of showing) is only $45 per month.

That is with TruPanion (spelling?)
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Addy, CGC, Apr 15 5:47 pm

Dog Health > POTP for Lantis..

♥Lenn- on♥

Barked: Mon Apr 12, '10 5:00pm PST 
Glad to see that Lantis is home and doing well!!!! Lennon's stomach was extra gurgley (if that makes sense) for a week or so after his surgery too. We did start him on Pepcid (generic name is Famotadine) immediately after his surgery and kept him on it for a few months after just to be safe. Pepcid is used fairly often in veterinary medicine and your vet should be able to give you a dosage. Lennon got 40mg once a day.

The other thing I forgot to mention to you is one thing we ALWAYS keep on hand is GAS - X. It will help in case of another suspected bloat or even if Lantis just seems extra gassy some days. Your vet can give you the dose on it as well. Lennon's dose is like 4 capsules. When we have used it we puncture the capsules and squirt the liquid down Lennon's throat.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by ♥Lennon♥, Apr 12 5:00 pm

Dog Health > POTP for Lantis..

♥Lenn- on♥

Barked: Thu Apr 8, '10 8:36am PST 
I know exactly how you feel, and exactly what your going through. My Lennon went through GDV last year. If you need anything feel free to pm me with any questions you may have or if you just need a shoulder to lean on.

Here's hoping Lantis continues to improve!hughug
[notify]
» There has since been 50 posts. Last posting by ♥Lennon♥, Apr 12 5:00 pm

Dog Health > Spay incision not fully healed 1.5 months later

♥Lenn- on♥

Barked: Thu Apr 1, '10 10:15am PST 
Sometimes dogs can have a reaction to the sutures used to close the surgery incision under the skin. These sutures can take MONTHS to dissolve. I would definitely have your vet check the incision and see if this is what's causing the problem.

When Lennon was neutered he had a problem with the internal sutures. He had a couple of spots that looked like they had never healed and they kept getting infected. Finally about 3 months later they went away.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Foxxy, Apr 1 12:03 pm

Dog Health > Disagree with vet
♥Lenn- on♥

Barked: Thu Mar 4, '10 8:35am PST 
No offense to your vet, but trust your instincts. You see your girl every day, and know her WAY better than your vet does.

If I would have listened to my vets 100% Lennon would not be here with me today.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Sabre, Mar 4 3:27 pm

(Page 1 of 66: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.