Postings by Arrow's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 244: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Ever notice that *most * behavior problems are breed related?
Lucy

Angel Puppy

Barked: Tue Oct 6, '09 10:59am PST 
Actually, what bothers me is what I see here as what constitutes "behavior problems" are restricted to:

-issues that are 'dealbreakers' and result in pound/rescue/abandoned dogs

-issues that are not being worked

-and issues that the owners could have known about

There are dogs who have behavioral issues who will never be given away. In fact, I'd say *MOST* dogs probably have one or two things that their owners would like to change. Fluffy jumps up. Spike likes to dig in the begonias. Pansy eats tissue. So forth. But the owners can live with it. It's not a dealbreaker, so a dog can remain happy in his home.

Whether or not a dog is working thru it's problems and recieving training, if they are not behaving well, they have a behavioral problem. So a behavior problem CAN coexist in ithe presence of mindful owners/trainers/behaviorists.

Also, there are a host of dogs who's parentage is unknown to the people who take them in. Either a Heinz 57 or perhaps a mis-identified pound/rescue dog can make any research and education on breeds completely defunct.

And then sometimes mindful owners may still find themselves in a bind. We did. We adopted a dog we were assured was one thing. As she grew, evidence grew to the contrary. And what we now know she needs, to be used in small game hunting, is not allowed due to rescue contract terms--and yes, we would have taken up hunting just for her. So we are left with what is a behavioral problem because it's a working drive we aren't legally allowed to excercise. But for us it isn't a dealbreaker--we just know we have to be extra cautious.

Be cautious when making generalizations...there are always exceptions.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Bruno, Oct 6 3:00 pm

Behavior & Training > Ever notice that *most * behavior problems are breed related?
Arrow

wait for me!

Barked: Tue Oct 6, '09 5:44am PST 
I'm on the "it's both" camp.

For example, our Jackie is a hunter. She has always been a hunter despite my attempts when she was a pup to socialize her with other animals. I would never say I can't trust her behavior with a cat or a rabbit, because I can. She will, 100% of the time, do her best to kill it. You can trust in that.

For her, it's completely nature. Because we did the best anyone could do to get her to stop. Otherwise, this formerly horridly naughty dog is beautifully behaved.

Arrow it's nurture. Her big issue is territorial/protective barking. And it was learned. Terriers by nature can be fiercely protective of their families from percieved dangers. And to her, the house to our left represents danger. We had a series of neighbors living there who were awful, a true threat, and whom we regularly called the cops on. Now that we have normal neighbors who are actually afraid of dogs (so won't work with us on a desensitization scheme I KNOW works--come over for dinner and give Arrow a few bites of bacon, she'll be your bestest bud for life) it's a hard road. Progress, but it's much slower than anyone wants.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Bruno, Oct 6 3:00 pm

Arrow

wait for me!

Barked: Sun Oct 4, '09 11:35am PST 
I dunno...you see, some dogs don't track as "typical".
Arrow is a kerry blue. Apparently known for dog aggression and I can't tell you HOW MANY TIMES I was told they couldn't be kept with another dog of their same sex.
Because a female would kill another female dog in her home.
How they won't back down from a fight.
How they were terrier stubborn and would test my patience.
How they were soooo smart and I'd strugle to stay one step ahead.
How they are escape artists.

Yeah, um...Arrow lives quite happily with a smaller, bossier female dog.
She never meets aggression with aggression. She'll stand a "sit in," but won't fight.
She's the most obediant dog I've ever had.
She's not the sharpest tool in the shed (but we love her anyway! there is such a things as "too smart")
She won't even leave the house if we have the front door wide open.

Her problem is barking. Something kerries aren't supposed to be excessive about.
[notify]
» There has since been 45 posts. Last posting by Bruno, Oct 6 3:00 pm

Raw Food Diet > I don't get this.....

Lucy

Angel Puppy

Barked: Wed Sep 30, '09 1:00pm PST 
I wish I could be more help. We have an ethnic market less than a mile from my house and we know a lot of people who hunt. We're never at a loss for PM style food.

As for the vet, you can approach it the way we did with our Jackie, The Huntress.

She wouldn't eat dogfood. Seriously.

If it was cooked/processed/or messed with in any way she wouldn't touch it. In fact, she much preferred it it were still moving (imagine having to feed your dog a thawed chicken by tying it to a string and running?).

SO the vet came to our way of thinking because dogs gotta eat. Mostly. She still did her darnedest to get her on Science Diet.

Later we changed vets and our is actually GLAD to see a dog on PM.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Brady CGC, Oct 1 3:56 pm

Grooming > If you wanted to know the world's hardest dogs to groom!

Arrow

wait for me!

Barked: Wed Nov 26, '08 7:59am PST 
Claire--
Just curious. Are you one of those groomers, who insist I bring my dog in muzzled when I'm trying to make an appointment and state my dogs' breed?
We don't go to those.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Toto, CD, RN, CGC, Dec 9 3:46 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Something for fun - how many dog breeds can you name in 10 minutes?
Jackie Poo,- NPC

I swear, I- didn't do it

Barked: Wed Nov 26, '08 7:25am PST 
just realized, it wont take something if there's an accent or other mark if you just put in the plain letter. Of course, who's keyboard has that?
[notify]
» There has since been 36 posts. Last posting by Thor, Dec 10 6:33 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Something for fun - how many dog breeds can you name in 10 minutes?

Lucy

Angel Puppy

Barked: Wed Nov 26, '08 7:00am PST 
There's something wrong with the site. I must've put in (spelling correctly) about 12 different breeds and it wouldn't take ANY of them!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 40 posts. Last posting by Thor, Dec 10 6:33 pm

Other Barks & Woofs > What is the BEST comment you have gotten on your dog?

Lucy

Angel Puppy

Barked: Tue Nov 25, '08 7:33am PST 
People who are “dog people” always comment on how well behaved my dogs are. A few have even asked if we competed in obedience.
Actually, if you knew how “naughty” they can be, it’s kind of funny that publicly they are seen as “perfect”.
But only by dog people. Non dog people think they’re wild, disgusting, and unruly. Sometimes though, all they have to do to get that is breathe or lick themselves.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Strider, Nov 25 8:55 am

Grooming > Grooming suggestions for an itchy dog

Arrow

wait for me!

Barked: Tue Nov 25, '08 6:02am PST 
Gizmo,
If you aren’t allergic to eggs, maybe your people can make you a homemade mayonnaise? My people do it for me (I, too, have lots of allergies but not to egg). They whip the raw egg with oil and then, after my shampoo, slather it on me for a few minutes, then rinse me out. If I eat it, it’s not like it’ll hurt me (it’s food, after all) and it does make my skin very moisturized.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sanford Hawley , Dec 2 9:27 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Where is the line?
Arrow

wait for me!

Barked: Tue Nov 25, '08 5:57am PST 
Well, right now it's kind of even.
She's scheduled for surgery two days before Xmas (because we'll be able to spend more time with her so she can recoup well at home). We're hoping a few "ectomies" will be what she needs and taking out the diseased and damaged parts of her will allow the functional parts to...well, function properly.
Other than that, we only do non-traditional medicine. Drugs had too many side effects and interactions and either weren't really helping or were making things worse. We've moved on to "energy therapies" so, at worst, nothing happens, rather than making her worse (as the drugs were) and other simple life changes to help her out.
Yeah, her bad days are pretty bad. But the good days are pretty good, though we know...as a KBT...she can hide things well. She's been in full blown hemmoraging with a raised hematocrit and still was bouncing around with the vet asking me if I was sure she was sick (till the shot blood all over everywhere).
I guess we just need to see if this works. If it does, great. If not, we know where we stand.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Ruby, Dec 4 9:36 pm

(Page 1 of 244: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.