» There has since been 73 posts. Last posting by , Nov 24 7:17 am

Who's Feeling Silly? > Music Group Game
Jenkins

Jenkins - Nature's Muppet

Barked: Fri Nov 17, '06 3:19pm PST 
No Doubt
[notify]
» There has since been 446 posts. Last posting by , Nov 11 1:42 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Two Things I wish I Had Thought Harder About Before I Got My Dog...

Jenkins

Barked: Fri Nov 10, '06 9:33pm PST 
I LOVE this thread! Dogs teach us so much, including valuable lessons about our own personalities. Jenkins was a stray and we are VERY lucky that he is so well adjusted and relatively issue free. Having fosters has really shown me how important it is to find the right "match." What I've mainly learned from working in rescue and having had several kinds of dogs in my home:

1. Be Honest with Yourself About Your Lifestyle.

I do not go jogging or hiking and I hate being outside for very long during the summer months. I should never have a high energy dog. During the summer I lather on the sunscreen, put on the baseball cap and sweat out a 30 minute walk for Jenkins and luckily that's just enough to keep him well behaved. In the rescue I work with I've seen both dogs that I know I couldn't foster because of their exercise needs and also the effect not getting enough exercise can have on a dog.

2. Understand YOUR Dog and Look Beyond Your Own "Common Sense"

One of the best ones mentioned is the "I knew a _____ once and ever since then I've always wanted one..." This also extends to the assumptions many people make based soley on the few dogs they've known in their life. There are people think that its fine for ANY dog to be off leash because the ones they've known have been fine or because that's the way they were raised. One thing everybody learns from reading the forums on Dogster is that you don't know everything! I switched my dog's food after joining Dogster because I learned I was ASSUMING I was feeding him good food. I learned I could give him much better food and now do. Understanding that different dogs have different needs (even dogs of the same breed) and that the conclusions you come to about dogs in general based soley on the ones you've encountered can be a narrow point of veiw are two things that you should always be concience of.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Nov 12 3:18 pm

Who's Feeling Silly? > the movie game

Jenkins

Barked: Thu Nov 9, '06 7:39am PST 
East of Eden
[notify]
» There has since been 805 posts. Last posting by , Jul 11 9:17 pm

Jenkins

Barked: Mon Oct 30, '06 7:52pm PST 
Lady and the Tramp
[notify]
» There has since been 895 posts. Last posting by , Jul 11 9:17 pm

Jenkins

Barked: Fri Oct 27, '06 7:54pm PST 
Valley of the Dolls (The)
[notify]
» There has since been 911 posts. Last posting by , Jul 11 9:17 pm

Lil Bessie- ?-2005

Its Lil Bessie- Time

Barked: Wed Oct 25, '06 8:36am PST 
Princess Bride
[notify]
» There has since been 947 posts. Last posting by , Jul 11 9:17 pm

Jenkins

Barked: Tue Oct 24, '06 5:40pm PST 
City Slickers
[notify]
» There has since been 951 posts. Last posting by , Jul 11 9:17 pm

Jenkins

Barked: Sat Oct 14, '06 8:21pm PST 
Singing in the Rain
[notify]
» There has since been 1052 posts. Last posting by , Jul 11 9:17 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > When Does Rescue Turn Into Hoarding?
Jenkins

Barked: Thu Jun 1, '06 8:29am PST 
Honey, I guess it just all depends on how a rescue is structured. If the person "in charge" or the one that started the rescue is the one doing the collecting then I'd say there isn't really any checks and balances in place. Also, if a rescue is a bunch of people that keep dogs at their house and have the last say as to who gets their dogs, that can set someone up for hoarding too.

Our rescue works like this: There are application screeners, foster homes, volunteers, and the Director. I foster dogs. I get a say about who gets to adopt them, but I don't get to make the final decision. That is up to the screeners and the Director. If that isn't okay with me then I can't foster any dogs. This structure certainly keeps anyone from hoarding as long as they continue to work with the rescue. But that is a highly organized rescue with many volunteers, lots of areas don't have those kinds of resources.
[notify]
» There has since been 33 posts. Last posting by , Jul 31 5:04 pm

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.