Postings by Hannibull Barka's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

French Bulldog > French Bulldog rescue Basket Raffle is Here!
Hannibull- Barka

Obey the- Frenchie

Barked: Sat Mar 14, '09 11:14am PST 
cheer ANNOUNCING FBRN'S 4TH ANNUAL
EASTER BASKET RAFFLE! cheer

The French Bulldog Rescue Network is once again raffling off some amazing baskets stuffed full of gifts for you and your pampered pooch!

There are lots of baskets to choose from – something for everyone!
Raffle starts March 13th and ends March 27th at 9pm EDT.

Visit our website!

http://www.frenchbulldogrescue.org

**DETAILS FOR THE RAFFLE WILL BE POSTED ON THE SITE ON OR AROUND MARCH 13TH – PLEASE CHECK BY OFTEN!**

Tickets are only $5 each or 5/$20!

Don't miss out!!

All proceeds to benefit French Bulldogs in French Bulldog Rescue Network's care. way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Hannibull Barka, Mar 14 11:14 am

French Bulldog > New Frenchie- What to buy...
♥- Clementine- ♥

Shake your- moneymakah

Barked: Sat Nov 8, '08 5:50pm PST 
Hmmm, let's see, some Frenchie specific suggestions:
Bowl- shallow and wide work better for our smush faces. Mom gets ceramic bowls that have enough lip to keep us from spilling our food but are shallow enough we don't end up wearing our food over our whole face.

Bed I would hold off on getting an expensive bed if its a puppy that you are bringing home. Beds are like giant chewies/stuffed toys to a pup. We just had fleece crate liners (when we proved we would not pee on them), and a simple pillow in our x-pen until we were older.

Hygiene Supplies Fragrance -free wipes, in fact buy stock in themlaugh out loud You have to wipe our faces and wrinkles daily, as well as our private parts since we cannot reach to clean ourselves.
Also we use un-petroleum jelly for our noses, some use Vaseline, some use Frenchie Nose Butter.
And we think our Pedi-paws nail grinder is the best thing ever! We hate nail clippers. Death to nail clippers!
OOOoooo, and gallons of Anti Icky poo (or Nature's Miracle) for you know, accidents, hey no one is perfect. Mom also likes the saw dust type clumping cleaner for throw-up messes.

First Aid Benadryl- great to have on hand for allergic reaction emergencies.

And we would highly recommend a harness over a collar because of our compromised airways/ potential spinal issues, why risk aggravating a potential problem when you can just use a harness for walking.
That's it off the top of my head, I'm sure others will have other helpful hints.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Stella White, Nov 17 11:11 am

French Bulldog > Do Frenchies 'slobber' a lot?

Hannibull- Barka

Obey the- Frenchie

Barked: Sat Nov 8, '08 5:33pm PST 
Most Frenchies rarely drool. However, if you take Clementine to the dog park or anywhere where there are lots of smells, she's been known to get a drool string or two. And if our mom takes out a watermelon to slice, me and Clem get a little drippy around the jowls. Nothing like a Bulldog or Mastiff though.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Sep 22 9:40 am

French Bulldog > Flying a Frenchie in the cabin?

♥- Clementine- ♥

Shake your- moneymakah

Barked: Thu Oct 2, '08 7:48pm PST 
I wanted to update everyone that the airlines have cranked up their prices on pets flying in-cabin- I just flew with my mom to San Francisco and my pet fee was more than her ticket- a lot more. United used to charge $75 each way to fly with a pet, this San Francisco trip was $125 each way and the new price from Oct. 2 forward is $175 each wayshock

Oh yeah and flying coach on United, the window seat had the most room underneath for the bag. Another tip for flying in the summer or anywhere where the temp is warm- board last.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Ellie, Dec 6 12:39 pm

French Bulldog > My puppy flattens like a pancake!!!

♥- Clementine- ♥

Shake your- moneymakah

Barked: Sat Aug 16, '08 3:37pm PST 
Ah yes, the Frenchie pancake, we know it well. When you have him a little longer, you will realize that you cannot really make a Frenchie do anything. The best you can hope for is to eventually convince him it is his idea and you're obliging him. I will just expand a little on the good advice already posted but keep in mind that major progress may not take place until the weather cools down some. My two French Bulldogs are three and four years old and love going for walks but once the weather is over 85 degrees, I have to drag them to kickstart their walks outside even to use the bathroom. Another tip is to switch from a collar to a harness if you have not already. The next tip is to train him to make positive associations to the leash and walking on a lead: lots of praise for any steps he takes on his own, highly valued treats are also a valuable tool (tiny pieces of dried tripe or dried lamb lung work well and freeze dried ice cream dots are like doggie crack for my two.) If you can employ another person to help, one person holds the treat a little ahead and the person with the lead walks towards it, if the pup follows- he gets a yummy bite and pets and praise. Yes it looks ridiculous and for nearly three months my husband and I sometimes drew crowds on our New York City street coaxing our 11 pound pancake of pure stubbornness for 30 minute stretches to go the single block to the dog park. But eventually Clementine caught on that leash+ steps= dog park, playtime, pets and treats from her adoring public and she decided to go ahead and give the people what they wanted.
Hannibull on the other hand took to walking on lead like a duck to water but then it took us years to convince him that the front hall was not a toilet but that's a whole other thread.
Your pup will get it eventually, it will just take consistency, patience and a positive attitude (believe me they can tell when you are exasperated and the unpleasant vibes you give off make them dig in their heels more)
Maybe try walking practice sessions at air conditioned spaces like Petsmart or Petco until the weather cools down?
Good luck.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by ♥ Clementine ♥, Aug 16 3:37 pm

French Bulldog > Child at heart?
♥- Clementine- ♥

Shake your- moneymakah

Barked: Sat Jul 19, '08 9:20am PST 
Hmmm, well we are still waiting for Hannibull to grow up and he is almost three, but he may be slower than most BOL! It really just depends on the dog. Clementine was an old soul even as a puppy. We got her at 12 weeks and she is not much different now at age 3 and half. Hannibull has slowed down some but he is still a goofball puppy at heart.
I think the choice of a young adult or small pup is just personal preference. We do rescue work and my French Bulldog fosters made some of the most seamless placements because the breed tendency is to bond readily to people, any people, they are definitely not known for their loyaltylaugh out loud More of a "love the one you're with" kind of dog. In fact my two will kiss up shamelessly to anyone they think will give them a butt scratch and maybe a treat, which is also why they make great therapy dogs (Clem and Hannibull are volunteers at hospitals)
Puppies are great. They are little and small for such a short time and just adorabull but they are also a ton of work. Unless you can schedule getting a pup with some vacation time from work, then getting an older dog with slightly less needs for constant supervision and a larger bladder capable of holding it past 30 minutes might be the way to go. With a Frenchie it really will not impact bonding. And if you do your homework and go through a reputable breeder, you will likely get a dog that has been socialized properly and if not totally housebroken, has the foundation laid for an easy transition. As far as other training, French Bulldogs can be a challnge in that regard no matter that their age, the trick is to make them think it's their idea and the reward quotient needs to be high- praise alone usually does not get it. Good luck.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Mia, Jul 21 6:03 am

♥- Clementine- ♥

Shake your- moneymakah

Barked: Sun Jul 13, '08 7:29pm PST 
We've flown American, Delta, US Airways, America West, United, Jet Blue, and Alaska, as well as some charter flights to Mexico. Both Clementine and Hannibull are used to their bags and used to traveling and snooze the whole trip as well as settle in the bag fine in the airport so we've never had an issue other than the one on Jet Blue one time that I described earlier, which was about the size of the bag, not them. Oh and one time Hannibull was strip searched at Newark Airport but that's a whole other threadlaugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Ellie, Dec 6 12:39 pm

French Bulldog > Scratching

Hannibull- Barka

Obey the- Frenchie

Barked: Thu Jun 26, '08 5:35am PST 
If the scratching is excessive, I would consult a vet. Allergies can be contact, inhalant or food related and the symptoms can vary from watery eyes, to paw licking or biting, to scratching, ears, sides, chest wherever, and butt scooting. Allergies can be one of the most frustrating things to deal with since there can be so many sources. If you noticed the scratching coincided with a change in food, that is a starting point. Is there a new ingredient in the new food? Also keep in mind that dogs can beome allergic to something they have been around or been eating, over time.
My Frenchies can't have grains or they get itchy. They also experience some seasonal allergies when the pollen count is high which we deal with by rinsing (no rubbing and no shampoos) with cool water whenever they come in from outside. Good luck, I hope you pinpoint the problem because it is miserable to be itchy.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Schmoop Dawg, Jun 26 8:11 am

French Bulldog > Anyone familiarwith Pin Oak kennels??

♥- Clementine- ♥

Shake your- moneymakah

Barked: Sat May 3, '08 2:52pm PST 
Someone posted about this kennel a while back on the rescue forum list that I belong to. I won't post the info here since I have no firsthand knowledge of its validity but you are welcome to contact me directly. Check out www.frogdog.org and www.frenchbulldogz.org for tips on finding a reputable breeder and recognizing "breeders" to stay away from.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by ♥ Clementine ♥, May 3 2:52 pm

♥- Clementine- ♥

Shake your- moneymakah

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '08 9:09pm PST 
We've never been weighed or had any problems about being too large. I weigh 18 lbs and Hannibull is 21 lbs. and we're both built pretty low to the ground so most people guess we weigh less than we do. But we have some Frenchie friends who are the leggier type Frenchies who have had problems at the counter. We think it's because they checked in without being in the bag. If you get a cranky counterperson, and you walk up with your Frenchie out of the bag, they may make you deomnstrate that your dog fits in the bag and can stand and turn around, which is what happened to our friends. I suppose they could weigh the bag too.
We've flown lots of airlines and we fly about 5 times a year and we've never had a problem with one exception- one leg of a flight on JetBlue where the counterperson tried to say the bag was too big to fit under the seat. It was our return flight so we argued that it had fit getting there and they let us board. We've flown JetBlue since then with the same size Sherpa and not had a problem. Our favorite airline is American, we've always had flight crew who were animal lovers and let us put the bags on an empty seat if there was one available.
Just make sure you make a pet reservation as soon as you know your travel plans because most commercial flights only allow 2-4 pets per flight to fly in cabin and the spaces fill up fast.
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by Ellie, Dec 6 12:39 pm

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.