Postings by Parker's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 108: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Choosing the Right Dog > is the goldendoodle right for me?
Baci

Prey Model- Puppy!

Barked: Thu Dec 22, '11 2:41pm PST 
I have a (rescued) Goldendoodle. He's actually my Mom's, but he spends almost half his time with me. We have had him since he was 12 weeks old. Long story short, he was rehomed to my family because the people who purchased him from the breeder couldn't handle him.

Not only do I have a Goldendoodle, I see MANY at work. They are not dogs for the faint of heart. Baci needs at LEAST an hour of exercise a day (walk, fetch, yard time, training games) but is happiest after a day of daycare. He is very high energy, and can still, at 2.5 years old, be destructive if he's bored. Luckily his destructive is stealing toilet paper rolls. laugh out loud

We are lucky that he doesn't shed, but it wouldn't have mattered to us if he did.

Baci is VERY, VERY SMART. Too smart almost! On the other hand, he is very sensitive. He was easy to train, but that's also because my mother and I are very training savvy. He is very much a retriever! He was an exceedingly mouthy puppy and required a lot of soft mouth training.

Overall, I don't believe a Goldendoodle is a good fit for your family- at least not a puppy. They require a LOT of exercise, consistent training and they may turn out to be heavy shedders. An adult, perhaps, would be a good fit for you, but not a puppy.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jan 22 6:50 am

Dog Health > Cancer in the Mouth
The P, B & J- Poms!

Parker,- Jack-Jack and- Bebe Belle!

Barked: Thu Dec 22, '11 2:23pm PST 
Jack-Jack just finished radiation treatment for an oral Plasma Cell tumor. He had a dental in October that showed nothing, and then the first week of November he was chewing on a bully stick, dripped some blood, I looked in his mouth and he had a chicklet sized tumor on the roof of his mouth. I took him to Purdue University to see the oncologists and that's where he had the testing and radiation.

Oral tumors are aggressive, but there are many different kinds. Getting the biopsy results and a CAT scan will be really helpful for you. My regular vet thought Jack-Jack had Squamous Cell Carcinoma, his Oncologist thought it was Melanoma, then Multiple Myeloma... After a bone marrow aspirate it was determined to be a plasma cell tumor.

Jack-Jack did 20 days of radiation. 5 days per week for 4 weeks. It was rough, but it should buy us a year of tumor control until we have to start oral chemotherapy/ immunosuppresants.

It was very expensive, I'm not going to lie. All included (initial oncologist consult, CAT scan, abdominal ultrasound, radiation) has been close to $10,000. Obviously, depending on where you are costs can be different.

Pmail me if you want to chat. Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Zora, Dec 23 1:15 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Do you have a puppy mill dog?

The P, B & J- Poms!

Barked: Sun May 23, '10 10:25am PST 
I have 2 puppy mill rescues.

Jack-Jack I adopted 3.5 years ago. He went from the mill to a kill shelter to Pom rescue to me in the span of a week. The poor dog was TERRIFIED. He spent 6 months sitting on a couch staring at us before even trying to interact. However, he attached to me instantly. He followed me around from day 1. Jack-Jack has every imaginable PM related health issue. He's blind from PRA (most likely from having distemper as a puppy), had both patellas fixed, a heart murmur, an idiopathic neuropathy in his right front leg, IBD... I could keep going. His medical expenses are probably around $20,000 to date. Jack-Jack has severe SA from me. Admittedly, we've bonded so closely that I have SA from him, too! He also has pretty terrible storm anxiety. The really wonderful thing about Jack-Jack is he has NO temperament issues. He doesn't really care about other dogs (other than a greeting sniff), walks well on leash- he's the opposite of dog reactive Parker!

Bebe Belle is also from a puppy mill. I adopted her almost 2 years ago, when she was approximately 2 years old. She had SEVERE, horrible issues related to being from the puppy mill. She was afraid of thresh holds, doorways, shiny floors, large spaces, small spaces, she would invent thresh holds that she "couldn't cross" (in her mind). She was a housebreaking NIGHTMARE. Bebe would poop and pee and lay in it if I wasn't watching. She would also poop, pee, lay in it and eat if I wasn't watching. Unlike Jack-Jack, it took a very long time for us to bond. When I brought her home she wanted absolutely nothing to do with me. I would try to cuddle her and make her sit with me and she would stiffen and look away. Finally, thanks to the amazing help of Mokie, I started ignoring her and she started to come around. It took a very, very long time. Almost a year, I'd say. Luckily, other than her recent bilateral luxating patella surgery (and some possible hip issues), she has been healthy. Since her surgery she's really started to come out of her shell. It's been almost 2 years and she's turning into a funny, sassy, tomboy princess.

I love both of my PM rescues to death. As long as there are puppy mills, I will have a puppy mill rescue.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , May 23 11:26 am

Food & Nutrition > Canine Caviar

The P, B & J- Poms!

Barked: Sun May 23, '10 8:51am PST 
Any experiences with Canine Caviar? I'm thinking of bringing it in to my boutique as a replacement for California Naturals. It's not as simple in ingredients, but would hopefully work. I'm not interested in Wellness Simple Solutions (will soon be in Petsmart) or Natural Balance LID (already in big boxes), but need a replacement for Cal Nat. Thanks!

ETA- anyone try the Mulligan Stew dry foods?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Lucy Mae, May 26 5:56 am

Food & Nutrition > Tast of the Wild...???

The P, B & J- Poms!

Barked: Mon May 10, '10 10:10am PST 
TOTW will be going ethoxyquin free as of June 1 (or July 1... I don't remember!)
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Bama AKA "Buddybear', May 11 9:46 pm

Food & Nutrition > BREAKING NEWS - Proctor and Gamble purchases Natura Pet Foods
The P, B & J- Poms!

Barked: Thu May 6, '10 5:49am PST 
I own a pet boutique that sells quite a lot of Evo and Cal Nat. I found out about the merger yesterday by getting a call from a fellow retailer while my Ziwi Peak rep was in the store. Apparently Natura reps didn't even know this was happening until yesterday morning, when they demanded they all fly out to Atlanta tomorrow (today) for an emergency meeting.

This is really disheartening. I'm one of the top 5 selling Evo and Cal Nat stores in Illinois. I want NOTHING to do with the product now. What am I supposed to bring in that's similar to Cal Nat and not carried in the big box stores???

Neither Champion or Ziwi Peak want nothing to do with conglomerates or big box stores. The owner of Ziwi Peak was approached by Petsmart and turned them down (rather rudely, according to my Ziwi Peak rep!).

If anyone has any ideas of Cal Nat-like foods that aren't carried in the big boxes (Natural Balance, Wellness) let me know. Off to dog food analysis to research!
[notify]
» There has since been 118 posts. Last posting by Quincy- FM TFE-II TDIAOV CGC, Jun 26 11:22 am

Behavior & Training > No more Petsmart for us...

The P, B & J- Poms!

Barked: Mon Apr 5, '10 12:59pm PST 
How about visiting your local pet boutique? That way you can support local business, and get some less crowded training time in.

FWIW, I own a pet boutique and refuse to sell flexi leashes. They're dangerous and unnecessary in an urban environment.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Kate, Apr 7 8:49 am

Food & Nutrition > Bad Experiences with Family . . .

The P, B & J- Poms!

Barked: Thu Mar 4, '10 1:42pm PST 
I deal with this every day with customers at my boutique. Generally if someone stops in or calls and asks for one of the crappy brands, we say "No, we just carry all natural foods." That either piques their interest or it doesn't. Some people will respond positively, with questions about the difference, why X food isn't all natural... Other people say "thank you" and hang up the phone or walk out. When they do that I always wonder what they're thinking!!
[notify]
» There has since been 48 posts. Last posting by , Apr 4 2:35 pm

Dog Health > Had a Seizure

The P, B & J- Poms!

Barked: Mon Mar 1, '10 12:57pm PST 
Seizures are soo scary! All three of mine have had at least one seizure. Is there any way Bingley could have hit his head? That seems to be the trigger for Parker and Bebe Belle. Bebe had a seizure half an hour after taking a tumble down the stairs a few weeks ago. Hopefully that was Bingley's first and last seizure!
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Mar 2 5:22 pm

Grooming > people people...
The P, B & J- Poms!

Barked: Fri Feb 12, '10 8:42am PST 
Please don't put all doodle people together. My Mom has an 8 month old rescue Goldendoodle who, since she got him at 12 weeks old has been groomed every 4 weeks ON THE DOT. He has never had a single mat and gets brushed every day. He is also on track to take his CGC and TDI the month he turns one year old. If you want to generalize, I see a LOT more poorly groomed Poodles than doodles at my store, thank you very much.
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by Ember FDX, Feb 17 10:20 pm

(Page 1 of 108: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.