Postings by Lily CGC 2001-2014's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 91: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Goodbye Amanda
Amanda- 2009-2011

I've got my- wings

Barked: Tue May 10, '11 9:31am PST 
Yesterday Amanda slipped away while being spayed. She started bleeding uncontrollably and the vet did everything in her power to get it to stop. There was no blood available for transfusion and it seems she had some sort of clotting disorder. RIP big girl, your time with me was so brief. I wish you could have had the chance to have a home of your own. At least you spent the last 5 months of your life being treated kindly and well fed.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Lucky 21.08.2001 - 12.05.2011, May 13 2:22 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > dealing with animal control.
Sophie CGC- CSD

da da dada da da- BAT DOG!!!!!

Barked: Thu Jan 27, '11 1:31am PST 
Easy stop being so nice. When their dog barks report them every time. The barking pit could be getting blamed on your dog as some pits have deep barks. Maybe you should start reporting that so if other reports coincide with yours, they will know it isn't your dog since you reported a barking dog around the same time. Luckily I have no problems with the neighbors cause there is a whole lot of barking that goes on at this house at times. We just try to not let them bark at night. Thy do like barking at people walking by and bark when they play sometimes too. We just have a lot of dogs and I feel we keep the noise down considerably considering how many dogs we have.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Daegan, Jan 28 9:32 am

Dog Health > Dewclaw removal?

Sophie CGC- CSD

Barked: Thu Jan 27, '11 1:14am PST 
I have never heard of wrist issues in breeds that traditionally have their dewclaws removed. I have both dogs with and without. I haven't noticed any difference between the dogs and the oldest without dew claws seems to be having some issues with her back legs first and not the front. The poodle does prance but I don't think it has anything to do with dew claws. They don't seem to have any issues holding bones either. Both my GSD have dew claws and while they do use then, they are a breed that keep the dew claws. They do seem to stay fairly close to the paw when compared with some other breeds and the do use them. My sister's basset has dew claws which stick out more and are looser. She doesn't seem to use them and bones slide off them. Each breed is different but they don't need them. Some breeds can use then and some cannot. With some they are more if a pain than others. If Taffy had them I'm not sure I would be able to find when she has a full coat. It is a matter of personal preference and usually up to the breeder as it is usually done to pups.

I did have a pointer staying with me for a while that had one grow back a little. We chose to have it removed properly while he was being neutered as it was just the result of a bad dewclaw removal as a pup. Sometimes it can be hard to get the whole thing properly. I just had to keep him from licking it for a couple weeks and it healed up nicely. Since your pup will be under anyways it makes sense to have it done at the same time if it is troubling them. There isn't much additional risk since dew claw removal doesn't take long and you can ask the vet to glue it instead of stitches so there is nothing to pull out or obsess over. I've noticed dogs that have been spayed/neutered that have been glued don't seem to lick as much as those with stitches. The main risk is going to be infection which is associated with any surgery and easily prevented and treated. It is really up to you. There is a risk and you should discuss it with your vet. If it isn't any more risky than the spay or neuter then I would go ahead and do it if it would make the dogs life easier and less painful. I'm sure ripping them out constantly would result in more pain than the one time deal of having them removed. Once the dog heals, it can never experience the pain of ripping the dewclaw out again.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Jinjo *Stumpy of the Wild*, Feb 2 8:54 am

Food & Nutrition > "Thems some skinny dalmatians!"

Sophie CGC- CSD

Barked: Thu Jan 27, '11 12:42am PST 
I can understand her thinking they are too thin. They are thin but that is the breed. The breed isn't very broad like some other breeds like labs so tend to look skinny to inexperience people. As long as the ribs aren't easily visible, the dog is fine. What annoys me more is dogs that are obviously overweight that their owners feel are just right and their vet doesn't have the guts to tell them their dog should be kept on the lean side for better longevity.
[notify]
» There has since been 30 posts. Last posting by Ellie CGC, Feb 2 10:02 pm

Other Barks & Woofs > What breeds am I?

Pooh Bear

Barked: Thu Jan 27, '11 12:31am PST 
I was rescued recently and my owners have no idea what I might be. I was listed as a chow mix but I only have a couple very faint spots on my tongue but many breeds can have spots on the tongue. I'm quite unique looking and beautiful. My coat is long and full, obviously I'm double coated. I weigh about 40lbs. I haven't barked at all though I have growled when I didn't want another dog bothering me. I'm very bouncy. I love hopping about. Otherwise I'm a pretty easy-going gal. Does anyone have a clue what I might be? My owners say they might do a wisdom panel insight test on me later to see what it says but guessing first is part of the fun. Their guess is maybe there is a little chow, maybe some corgi, maybe a tiny bit husky, who knows.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Sally Beaker , Jan 27 5:53 pm

Other Barks & Woofs > Patch got his DNA results
Sophie CGC- CSD

Barked: Thu Jan 27, '11 12:16am PST 
I definitely see the husky. Maybe there is a breed involved that the test you used doesn't detect. What brand was it? I hear some will give you the closest breed to thge markers they find so results can be in accurate such as a purebred AKC staffordshire coming back as a bulldog/border collie/boston terrier. I hear the wisdom panel will not do that and can detect most breeds. It is always important to make sure whatever test you are using includes all the breed you suspect are in the mix. Malamute could be because malamutes and huskies are closely related and whatever else it is cannot be detected. Maybe cattle dog or catahoula. She does look like she may be part catahoula.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Maverick , Feb 8 9:44 am

Dogster Railroad > Transport Resources ~long list~

Zeke

Barked: Mon Nov 29, '10 9:23pm PST 
Don't use Kat's Waggin Train. There are a lot of horror stories with her such as leaving the dogs in crates for days without any breaks to potty and someone that went with her on a trip reported she was drinking and driving. It isn't worth the risk.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=459126667936

http:// www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=178288398853286&topic=267
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Shane DEC '08-JAN '12 RIP, Dec 12 6:51 am

German Shepherd > Need a name

Zeke

Barked: Sat Oct 30, '10 10:27pm PST 
We named him Hans. He actually took to it within 5 minutes so I wonder if that was his former name or if close to it. I looked up the meaning of the name and it said it means God is gracious. How perfect for this boy now that he has a new life. He has bratty sisters that keep digging up the bones he keeps hiding under clothing and toys.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Dieta, Dec 4 11:47 am

Dogster Railroad > Changes URGENT transport NYC to Hartford, CT for 8/25 2 legs needed

Sophie CGC- CSD

Barked: Mon Aug 23, '10 8:21pm PST 
Again sorry about the last minute but we pulled her off death row just before she was to die. She is a 1 yr old 46lbs white GSD mix. She has just been spayed and UTD on shots. She is very scared and will have just been spayed so will need to be handled extra carefully. A crate is suggested but optional and not provided. We were trying to set up transport for tomorrow but that has changed as she need to be spayed before leaving the shelter. She now leaves Wednesday. We have someone to pick her up but they don't really want to drive further than Rye, NY. Someone offered to take her from New Haven, CT to Hartford, CT but I haven't been able to confirm it with them. So we just need 2 short legs covered.

#1 NYC to Rye, NY taken
#2 Rye, NY to New Haven, CT NEEDED
#3 New Haven, CT to Hartford CT NEEDED
#4 Hartford, CT to Sterling, MA Taken

Let me know if you can help with these 2 short legs.
brighthorizon@comcast.net or brighthorizondogs@gmail.com

Please pass this onto anyone you know that may be able to help.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sophie CGC CSD, Aug 23 8:21 pm

Dogster Railroad > Urgent Transport NYC - Tolland, CT 8/24
Sophie CGC- CSD

Barked: Mon Aug 23, '10 8:08pm PST 
OOPS we still need a little help on the transport, just 2 legs about an hour long. The date have changed to. She needs to be spayed first so cannot leave until wed 8/25

Now that I talk to the person transporting her out of NYC and she'd rather someone meet her in Rye, NY. I had a person offer to drive her from New Haven, CT to Hartford, CT but I haven't heard back. So right now we need Rye, NY to New Haven, CT and New Haven, CT to Hartford, CT
I will make a new post with the date changes.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sophie CGC CSD, Aug 23 8:08 pm

(Page 1 of 91: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.