Postings by Josie's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 31: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Choosing the Right Dog > I Need Pictures!
Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Sun Apr 13, '14 10:51am PST 
What kind of pictures are you looking for? just any dog related or do you want pictures of specific activities?
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Bosley , Wed 8:55 pm

Puppy Place > We got a puppy!
Wiggles

wiggles is my- name ,digging is- my game

Barked: Wed Mar 19, '14 9:47am PST 
YAY Lupi!! I cannot wait to see pictures!!!!!!!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Apr 7 1:00 pm

Behavior & Training > older Bernese attacking puppy

Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '14 5:11pm PST 
Contacting a behaviorist is a great idea but you may also want to contact your breeder for suggestions.

The BMD people i know are always wanting people who purchase their puppies to contact them with any issues and to keep a line of communication open for the dogs entire life (and sometimes longer). They try their best to develop a friendship between puppy buyer and breeder. Since the breeder is familiar with the breed they may have some suggestions that a behaviorist would not think of.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Kali, Mar 19 4:11 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Adopting a rescue amstaff/lab mix, advice please?

Maggie

im a squeaker

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '14 5:06pm PST 
I am sorry for your loss.

In my years of experience being both an adopter and a foster for many dogs and cats. The current animals pick the new one more than the person does. It will be up to your current dog if she likes the new one or if it is just too much for her.

Most shelters and rescues require the current dog to meet the possible new dog so make sure your girl is comfortable meeting new dogs and that you know her stress signals. For example, is she trying to hide from the other dog or is she pulling you to get to it? Is she interested in sniffing and playing with the new dog or is she all over you? Take signals from your dog, that will be the ultimate deciding factor. You may end up finding that your dog will pick out a dog with the best energy level for you and her, if this dog is too active your girl will probably let you know when they meet.

As for the space issue, that is up to you and how much space you are willing to share with the dogs.

The breeds are most likely a guess but it is a good idea to research the breeds that are believed to be in it. This way you have an idea of what the tendencies will be and what health issues may be more prevalent in the future.

Let us know what happens!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Maggie, Mar 17 5:06 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Breeder broke contract

Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Wed Mar 12, '14 5:23pm PST 
Im with Toto. I have also shown dogs for people for many years. I have shown many different breeds including but not limited to Bernese Mountain Dogs, Golden Retrievers, Borzoi, Whippets, Samoyed, etc. I know that some of these dogs had umbilical hernias and they were still show quality and almost all of them achieved their championships (and some are even grand champions). None that I know of had to have surgery to repair the hernia.

Also about the whole having to be a champion before you can breed the dog, that is a standard practice in most breeds especially if this is the first dog you have gotten from the breeder. They want to make sure that you have good intentions of showing the dog and furthering the health of the breed and not just breeding to make money. I am surprised that is all the breeder has as being required to breed the dog, most require that the dog not only is a champion but has all health tests that are relevant to the breed such as eye, heart, hips, and elbow clearances.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Star BN RN RA, Mar 12 5:23 pm

Dog Health > Why my samoyed has fifth nail???
Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Thu Mar 6, '14 6:31pm PST 
Many dogs are born with front and rear dewclaws (some even have double dewclaws like Great Pyrenees). Most breeders will remove them at 3 - 4 days old (before the nerves have developed). By the standard Samoyed's should not have rear dewclaws but lots of dogs are born with them, the breeder will usually have them removed.

Just because your Samoyed has rear dewclaws does not mean it is not pure Samoyed, it just means the breeder for whatever reason decided not to have the rear dewclaws removed.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Dona, Mar 7 4:57 am

Dog Health > 2 year old Great Dane Torn ACL

Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Thu Mar 6, '14 6:21pm PST 
We have a few dogs who come to my work (grooming shop) with torn ACL's (some have had surgery and rehab, some just surgery, some did nothing).

From what I have seen, the dogs with the surgery and rehab are back to normal and very happy. The ones who just have the surgery and do not do the rehab limp but will occasionally put weight on the leg. The ones who have nothing done are arthritic and very painful whenever you handle the leg, some even bite when we look like we are going to touch the leg (these are dogs that were fine before they torn their ACL) these dogs also cannot put ANY weight on their leg and we have to hold them up for most of the grooming.

Like I said these are just my observations, I have personally not had any dog who torn an ACL
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Star BN RN RA, Mar 6 6:21 pm

Dog Health > Is it Horner's? Droopy ear, lip and eyelid that doesnt blink and his eye jumps

Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Sat Mar 1, '14 4:42pm PST 
I actually had this EXACT thing happen to my friends Bernese Mountain Dog a few years ago. The whole right side of his face was paralyzed, the vets had no idea. Tests reveled nothing, then my friend demanded a test for Lymes disease (after all Lymes can cause facial paralysis in people right). Well the test came back positive, the vets thought it was just a coincidence. They started the treatment for Lymes and the dog was back to normal within 2 days and has not had an issue since.

Lymes usually causes dogs to limp but it can have other symptoms, such as the partial facial paralysis that my friends BMD experienced. I would highly recommend getting a Lymes test done.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Star BN RN RA, Mar 1 4:42 pm

Behavior & Training > What to do??

Milo

My love is worth- your time

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 5:06pm PST 
I am going over her house tomorrow and will definitely have to have a serious conversion with her. Thanks for the tips and legal advice, i will use that while talking to her. My aunt knows what damage a dog can do to a kids face, I was attacked when I was 3 years old (i know it was my fault, i did jump off a chair and landed on the dogs tail) and the dog bite me in the face. She has seen the damage a small dog could do yet she allows this behavior to go on.

I talked to the kids parents and they are also concerned and said that they would not be bringing either child over unless the dogs were locked up. I had the little girl over today and she kept asking what she did to make Izzy mad and is still upset over the incident...it broke my heart.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Babe, Dec 28 2:00 pm

Behavior & Training > What to do??
Milo

My love is worth- your time

Barked: Thu Dec 26, '13 6:22pm PST 
Thats basically what i said on Christmas, I told her that I lock up 2 of my dogs when kids come around because they are stressed and that maybe Izzy would be happier with just Lucy in a room with her this way Izzy was not alone. I even helped to set up the study with 3 beds, a bunch of toys, their water dishes, 2 antlers, and 2 pee pads (yes she uses pee pads and it drives me insane!!). Yet she still brought them out 15 minutes after putting them up, the dogs were being quiet in the room so i think they would have been fine being alone in the room for a few hours. Im just worried because my aunt likes to have all family events at her house and I dont want my little niece to be scared to come to family events because the dog tries to bite her.

I think im just going to stay quiet and watch Izzy really close whenever kids are around. I think that is my only option...
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Babe, Dec 28 2:00 pm

(Page 1 of 31: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.