Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Puppy Place > Another quest for breed guesses
Gorilla Grod

Zoom!

Barked: Sun Aug 18, '13 4:35pm PST 
When I got Gorilla, I was told that his mom was a Choc Lab/Golden Retriever mix and that his dad was a Shar-pei. There are a couple pics on his profile page.

I can see the Lab in him, but Shar-pei? Not convinced. I have a feeling Gorilla's dad was a Pit Bull or Pit mix, and the people just didn't think I'd take him if they said that.

The strange thing is he seems taller and thinner than pictures of lab or pit puppies at his age (he's 9 weeks old and weighs about 10-11 lbs).

Anyway, anyone want to guess? I've been jokingly calling him Chinese Labrabull laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Aug 19 5:22 pm

Puppy Place > (PIOF)
Keyser- Soze's- Hammer of- Thor

If it moves, it- plays!

Barked: Sun Aug 18, '13 4:18pm PST 
I agree with what was already said. Its normal behavior and utterly amazing that someone would suggest putting down such a young dog for acting like a pup!

But I also wanted to suggest that you talk to your kids and teach the, how to "be the boss" as well. You said that the pup listens to you...he needs to listen to everyone in the family, including the youngest (when she can talk of course). Make sure the kids understand that they can be firm without being mean. Neither your puppy nor your kids are too young to start learning how to encourage good canine behavior.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Aug 20 4:48 pm

Food & Nutrition > Pet Owners Blame Blue Buffalo

If it moves, it- plays!

Barked: Sat Aug 10, '13 2:28pm PST 
I've fed my dogs BB for years - 1 Chow, 2 Akitas, 1 Pomeranian-Chihuahua mix. None of these dogs had a problem on BB. In fact, the Chow and one of the Akitas' allergies actually cleared up while on BB. I switch between Freedom and Wilderness, all flavors, with no problems.

That being said, I recently got an 8 week old Lab mix who apparently can't handle BB, at least not the Wilderness puppy. He developed bad diarrhea (switched to BB over course of a week). He's been on a rice, chicken and sweet potato diet for the last week, and on the vet's orders,, I mixed in just a couple pieces of Royal Canine Development last night. Diarrhea is back today, so I'm thinking this little guy may not be able to stomach any kibble at this point.

I don't blame think the quality of BB's food had dropped, but some dogs simply don't seem to be able to handle the Wilderness formula. I haven't seen any reports that link specific health problems to BB, the way they found liver problems in dogs fed contaiminanted food in 2004. Until I see those reports, I'll keep feeding BB to my dog...just not to my puppy until I figure out what in kibble is causing his diarrhea.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Aug 16 2:50 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Breed ideas please!

If it moves, it- plays!

Barked: Mon Jun 24, '13 12:37pm PST 
Apparently the only dogs in my area are pit bulls and chihuahuas. About 30 min north, the only breeds I could find available were labs and border collies. It's so sad seeing all the pit puppies in the shelters around here. At least the shelters here are no-kill, although what a sucky life that would be. cry

After seeing what's currently available, either to buy or adopt, I think we've all but thrown out our checklist. Clearly if we are considering a Siberian Husky, we are no longer concerned about shedding and activity level. The only thing we are all an agreement about is that we want a puppy. I'm fully aware of how much work they are, and I'm willing and able.

I have some appointments this week with breeder and a rescue to visit some puppies and their moms. I decided this weekend that we just need to get out there and visit some pups. I was leary of doing that until we found one that was a definite possibility, because I didn't want my son to get upset if we didn't end up with it. But, obviously internet research isn't going to actually tell me squat about the individual dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jun 24 12:37 pm

If it moves, it- plays!

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 8:54am PST 
Fritz- Keyser is moving with us. He's my other child. My human son even says that Keyser is his "brother from another mother." No way I'm going anywhere without him too! Fortunately my parents like him, so they are willing to put up with him blowing his coat.

Keyser's been a real great dog with my son, but he's never really been one for playing (except with my female Akita who is gone now). He'll fetch a toy once, then he's done. Even though it's obvious they love each other, not much fun for a kid. My vision is a dog that will be my son's buddy and playmate, that will also be Keyser's bud. Reality never works like you want it too, but I'm hoping we'll find something to fit.

Found some a couple pups that are possibilities, but all are at shelters or rescues. Unknown fathers makes me a bit leary. Did find a breeder that has a possibility, but it's a "doubledoodle." She tests all her breeders, gives a 2yr geneticnhealth guarantee, and, from what she says, a lot of her pups grow to be service dogs (I'm assuming that means they have nice temperments). My concern is the price (for what's basically a planned mutt) and whether or not the dog could handle being with an Akita (who may play a bit rough for more mellow dogs). So far I've managed to find something wrong with every dog available.

Pros and cons to everything! It's hard to know what to do!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Jun 24 12:37 pm

Puppy Place > What is the strangest breed you've been mistaken for?

If it moves, it- plays!

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 12:13am PST 
This thread is hilarious! I'm especially laughing about the rare breed of barking cats!

I'm often asked if my Akita is a Karelian Bear dog, a husky, a malamute or a wolf. I guess I can sort of understand, since Akitas aren't too common around here, but then again, neither are wolves or karelian bear dogs!

My fav instance of mistaken identity was that he is "clearly" a cross between a GSD and a Cane Corso. Clearly. laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jul 8 9:21 pm

If it moves, it- plays!

Barked: Wed Jun 19, '13 7:14pm PST 
Augusta- I didn't realize what that statement sounded like until you said, but now I can't stop laughing!

My concern with energy level is mostly because my Mom uses a walker. I'd hate for her to get knocked down or run over. My cousins have a hyper, jumping 65 lbs mutt that hasn't learned not to jump on people. It's hard for my Mom to visit them. But, then again, I sort of doubt they have trained that dog at all.

I don't think I've seen a soft coated wheaten in real life. I'm off to check them out now!
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Jun 24 12:37 pm

If it moves, it- plays!

Barked: Tue Jun 18, '13 10:50pm PST 
Thanks for all the good ideas. I have lots of reading and research lined up now!

My ideal dog is the complete opposite of my list. That's what's making this so hard for me to even think of breeds. I LOVE the northern spitz type. I say the fluffier and bigger the better, but since my son and I will be moving in with my small, hairless dog loving parents, we are sort of at an impasse. laugh out loud

Are labs constant shedders? The only black lab I've been around shed tons of black hair all year round. Is that typical or was he just a special case? I'd rather deal with a twice yearly blowing of the coat than constant shedding.

We probably will end up with a mutt/mix. Two of the best dogs I had were mixes (Samoyed/Australian Shepherd and a Wired Haired Pointing Griffon mix). They were both perfect dogs for kids. Too bad you can't be guaranteed to get the same personality/temperment again!
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by , Jun 24 12:37 pm

If it moves, it- plays!

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 3:12pm PST 
I'm well aware that nothing is going to fit perfectly, and that individual dogs within a breed are different. I'm just looking for some breed ideas to check out. I'm only really familiar with Akitas, Chows and Samoyeds. Though I've been around a wide variety of dogs over the years, those are the three breeds I've owned. I'd go with another one of them, but they've all been vetoed due to the semi-annual blowing of their coats. Pits, greyhounds and poodles were also vetoed, as were labs, but the Vizsla and Spinone Italiano are two I hadn't thought of.

Off to check those out!
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by , Jun 24 12:37 pm

If it moves, it- plays!

Barked: Mon Jun 17, '13 11:18am PST 
I'm looking for a new pup, but I'm having trouble finding a breed that seems to fit our wants/needs. Can you all help with some breed suggestions so I can get to researching?

I know most of our needs are more individual based than breed based, but I'm looking for ideas to research, so anything helps!

Needs: good with kids; good with other dogs; not a big shedder; not a big drooler; medium to large size (small & toy breeds are out, extra huge breeds are a maybe)

Wants: playful without being overwhelming; trainable but not too smart; not excessively active, but enough energy to play with a 6 yr old boy

Thanks for the ideas!
[notify]
» There has since been 31 posts. Last posting by , Jun 24 12:37 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.