Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 167: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > When Should I Start Taking Her Out?
Becky RNCL

My Hat is Two- Sharks

Barked: Sun Nov 25, '12 6:12pm PST 
http://rollinwithrubi.blogspot.ca/2012/08/two-week-staycation-in-beg inning.html
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Nov 26 10:10 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Confused here. Us vs. Neighbors.
Dolly - RIP Old Lady

Old Dogs Are The- Best Dogs

Barked: Sat Jan 14, '12 10:29pm PST 
I really feel for your situation and I would be very uncomfortable being in the same one. Just wanted to clarify a couple of things: You cannot tell if a dog is "full blood" just by looking. They are far more likely "pit bull type dogs", and "red nose" is simply a colour, that's all. Additionally, pit bull type dogs are NOT guardian breeds, they are bull and terriers. I know these might seem like picky points, but for those of us who ARE responsible owners (unlike your neighbours) these points are important because of how easy it is for our dogs to be banned and/or killed.

Having said that, I do encourage you to pursue the matter with animal control. Four pit bull type dogs, alone TOGETHER, probably unaltered, underexercised and understimulated certainly can be a recipe for disaster, and I don't blame you for being concerned, I would be as well. This is definitely a case of the irresponsible owners who are ruining the breed, AND an example of terrible animal control laws that wait until these poor animals make mistakes that they never should be allowed to, to take action. I wonder if there is a local responsible pit bull rescue group you could look to for advice.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jan 28 8:11 pm

Behavior & Training > Pit Bull Personality changes?

Marlo

I'm A Good Dog,- I Just Do Bad- Things

Barked: Mon Oct 17, '11 6:39pm PST 
Dogs don't like all other dogs. In addition, dogs living in the same households can occasionally develop "personality clashes". In addition to THAT, it is possible, based on your dog's genetics (parents temperaments, her "terrier-ness") she may not get on with strange dogs or household dogs as she matures. This is not abnormal, it is part of a dog's personality. You should be prepared for the possibility that at some point she doesn't get along with the other dogs and how you would manage that. Many people live with dogs that dont' get on. Conversely, many people have multiple dog and multiple pit bull type dog households where everyone gets on very well. It depends on the dogs. If you have concerns I would find a professional who can evaluate your dog's body language and interactions with the other dogs. Rarely do dogs suddenly "snap" or "turn", usually there ARE signs that perhaps have not been recognized. Because of a terrier's biting style (grab and hold) it can be dramatic when/if their tolerance DOES run out.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 17 6:39 pm

Puppy Place > My neighbor hates my dog... I'm afraid of what they might do! :(

Marlo

Barked: Mon Oct 17, '11 5:45pm PST 
I would definitely agree with leaving him indoors and not outside. It may seem like more fun to be outside, but keep in mind that young dogs need a lot of sleep in between their bursts of activity. Some dogs are the kind of dogs that can hang out outside and just snooze the day away, others will be constantly stimulated by their environment and that includes barking (like both of mine would be). Its not very relaxing for him and probably not as much fun as it might seem.

Once years ago I decided to leave Becky on my secure balcony when I was gone, thinking similarly, she loves to be outside and it was nice and warm. I came home to an official warning letter from my strata saying she was disruptive and I needed to remedy the situation or I'd have to "remove" her! She's quiet as a mouse INSIDE, it was just being outside in all the noise and stimulation and she was unsure.

If you feel uncomfortable with a crate or need some time to acclimate him, what about an expen or a puppy proof room? I'm lucky in that each of my dogs has their own room to be in while I'm gone and it works well. They're safe, its quiet, they can have treats and I know they sleep while I'm gone. Perhaps look into some calming music like Through A Dog's Ear? I play that CD for them when I'm not home. They also each get a frozen kong when I leave which keeps them busy for about 15 minutes while I go. They basically run to their rooms when I get out the kongs!
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Oct 26 11:07 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Would you breed your dog?

Dolly - RIP Old Lady

Old Dogs Are The- Best Dogs

Barked: Fri Oct 14, '11 11:01pm PST 
Becky and Marlo, no way. Dolly though...she was so awesome. However it would depend on how old she was. If she was a very old 12 ish, then no because her heart would have been in bad shape. But if she actually was more like 16 as the vet suspected, she was doing really well. I often think how awesome Dolly babies would have been. The good/bad side of it is that there are so many pit bulls that need rescuing, when it's time for me to have another senior, I can probably find one very similar to her smile
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by , Oct 26 6:56 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > The Lazy Dog List
Marlo

Barked: Sun Sep 25, '11 9:30pm PST 
Marlo is more on the lazy side for sure, but many APBT and their mixes are known as "good off-switch" dogs...like B&D described with hounds, they are often great snuggle buddies at home but ready to go when they get out. There's a HUGE range of temperaments among pit bull type dogs though, but if you're looking for a lazy dog, you'll find a pit bull that fits the bill.
[notify]
» There has since been 37 posts. Last posting by , Feb 20 9:04 pm

Dog Health > Frontline, Advantix - Not for my dogs!

Marlo

Barked: Sat Sep 3, '11 6:11pm PST 
Adam could you provide some legitimate references for that information? Thank you.
[notify]
» There has since been 64 posts. Last posting by , Sep 14 7:48 am

Behavior & Training > Issues passing dogs, particularly in close apartment building quarters

Becky RNCL

My Hat is Two- Sharks

Barked: Tue Aug 2, '11 10:45pm PST 
Unfortunately, time at the dog park and at daycare are not going to help in this situation, in fact they might make it worse. You are reinforcing the fact that other dogs=fun and playtime and excitement. As well he is getting rehearsal after rehearsal of rude behavior which at best just reinforces him for it and at worse may lead to an attack by another dog which can affect HIS social skills. You need to work on teaching him focus on YOU, ESPECIALLY when other dogs are around. What I would recommend is to look for some youtube videos on teaching loose leash walking or eye contact (check out Kikopup as a starting point). Ideally the appearance of another dog becomes a cue to re-orient to you. In the mean time as a band-aid measure you can bring some food with you and feed him while you pass another dog. Or if there is way to avoid other dogs such as the stairs instead of elevator, use that.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Aug 4 4:22 pm

Behavior & Training > My dogs just had a bad fight - please help

Marlo

Barked: Mon Aug 1, '11 8:47am PST 
"If they only fight when left alone outdoors, it's a flat out case of territorial aggression. When the humans are around they aquiese to them. When humans leave the dogs alone, each tries to assert herself.
It may be best to have large outdoor kennels for each dog and confine them when unsupervised."

This is not true. There are many reasons why dogs outside would get into scuffles: overexcitement, resources, redirection from something outside the fence...and just as many reasons not to leave them alone.

I just wanted to reiterate that "crate and rotate" is not like living in "a prison". (Well I guess it COULD be but certainly doesn't have to). If crate and rotate means having one dog in a crate 23 hours a day and one hour to go out to pee or walk, then ya, maybe it is. But the people I know who have dogs that don't get on don't do this. Creative uses of ex pens, rooms, tie downs, baby gates, kennel runs, backyards etc. The dogs have full lives and lots of mommy and or daddy time.

And OP its not certain that your dogs will need this at all. I'm only discussing it a) as a technique to let your girls and you relax a bit until you get a trainer/behaviourist in or have time to read some things and b) just to show you that if you decide to keep them separate they need not be unhappy smile

Good luck OP and let us know how things are going!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Aug 2 4:36 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > What was my dog's baby daddy?
Marlo

Barked: Mon Aug 1, '11 12:52am PST 
Thanks guys. The GSP does make sense...I know lots of pitties can have the leaner body type but his mom sure doesn't have it and neither do most of his sibs. Genetics are a funny thing aren't they. Here's some other pics of his relatives. Maybe someday I'll get him tested for fun and see if its different than his brother!

This is the brother that was DNA tested

Marlo Brother

Mama

The "Wild Card" puppy lol

And one more of my Marlo bubba!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Aug 14 7:38 am

(Page 1 of 167: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.