Postings by Rubi's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 31: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > lost a nail!
Rubi

Rub my belly!- please please- pleaseplease

Barked: Thu Mar 22, '07 10:20am PST 
Well, thanks pups! Mom treated my hurt foot the way she treats people hurts, and it seemed to work fine. She didn't use peroxide at all. She did use bactine, which had a bit of a sting to it the very first time, but then it felt better right away because it numbs the owie. She put some antibiotic ointment on it too. I had to wear a sock at night and while I was outside but now I am OK without it, mom thinks. It's still sore once in a while but I am running around on it normally again.

I had to miss Tuesday's Flyball class, though. frown

But it's ok because today we're going on a trip to Moab! I get to ride in the Jeep with mommy because daddy is taking his own jeep so I don't have to sit in the back! Daddy thinks mommy is silly, but she doesn't want to be a passenger all the time anyway. she likes going 4wheeling. and i am excited because 2 of the other people have doggies like me I can play with!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Rubi, Mar 22 10:20 am

Dog Health > lost a nail!
Rubi

Barked: Fri Mar 16, '07 8:33pm PST 
Rubi tried to climb the fence yesterday at dog day care. They told me they cleaned up her foot which she had cut. She seemed fine yesterday, but when I came home today she won't put any weight on it. I took a look and she'd lost a toenail. The pad seems fine--no cuts, just a raw place where the nail used to be. I cleaned it up and wrapped it. Anything else? If she won't leave the wrappings alone I'll have to get her a lampshade, which I hate to do, but if it got infected that would be awful.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Rubi, Mar 22 10:20 am

Behavior & Training > phobias

Rubi

Barked: Wed Feb 14, '07 1:42pm PST 
Rubi’s mom here.
Is it possible for a dog to be afraid of heights?

We tried agility last summer, but it didn’t really work out. After falling maybe 2 feet from a stepladder, she won’t go NEAR the wooden planks. Wouldn’t even look at them.

Later, while hiking, I tried to call her to me to sit on a big rock and take a picture. At first she wouldn’t come; she paced and whined but wouldn’t come. After a while, she did, but completely flat on her belly. I lifted her up and held her in my lap for the picture, but she was shaking and her eyes were very wide.

I thought, OK, she has a fear of heights. How odd.

However, she had no problem leaping over my previous 4-foot fence to go walkabout in the neighborhood. So maybe she was just a very good actress, and didn’t really want to do agility?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Bruce, Feb 14 4:29 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > pit bull ban, 1 year later

Rubi

Barked: Mon Feb 12, '07 9:10am PST 
Want to see some real-life numbers on pit bull bans?
[quote]Dogs taken out of the fight: Supporters cite pit bull ban for drop in fights, bites

By J.C. O'Connell
Aurora Sentinel & Daily Sun

Sunday, February 11, 2007

By Shannon Davidson/Aurora Daily Sun & Sentinel

Aurora | A year after the city enacted a controversial ban on pit bulls, the number of
"fighting dogs" and dog bites has dropped throughout Aurora.

The number of registered pit bulls, grandfathered in prior to the ban taking effect
February 2006, has dropped from about 500 to 340 currently registered with the city,
according to city officials.

Supporters of the ban say the year-end numbers - which also include drops in pit bulls
sheltered at the Aurora Animal Shelter and bites - are a sign the controversial law is
working.

"That's good," said Aurora City Councilman Bob FitzGerald. "As long as people are a
little bit safer out there, I think it was a rational thing to do."

Since enacted, the pit bull population in the Aurora Animal Shelter has also declined,
from 28 percent of the dogs temporarily housed there to 26 percent, said Nancy
Sheffield, director of Neighborhood Services.

[/b]In the year before the ban took effect, there were 176 dog bites reported in Aurora,
according to Animal Care. Pit bulls [i]or one of the other seven restricted breeds[/i] were
responsible for 35 of those bites. [/b]

[b]In 2006, the first year the ban was in place, 137 dog bites were reported with pit bulls
responsible for eight. [/b]

The ban on pit bulls also seems to have reached another of its drafters' goals: paying for
itself.

The city has collected about $200,000 in fees and fines related to it and used the
money to cover expenses such as contract employees and an additional van to
transport dogs. Any first-time violation of the ordinance costs owners $700.

Pit bull owners already living in the city at the time the ban was passed had to pay $200
to register their dogs with the city and another $200 re-registration fee annually to keep
their pets legal.

Despite the numbers, the ardent opponents to the pit bull prohibition still say it is unfair
to single out one breed.

"It's again making dogs the scapegoats for people issues," said Sonya Dias, a pit bull
owner who led the protests against Aurora's ban.

Last year, 758 pit bulls entered the shelter and of those [b]709 of the dogs were put to
sleep[/b], Sheffield said.

"To do that just out of fear is ridiculous," Dias said.

The Aurora City Council plans to review the breed ban in January.[/quote]

709 dogs dead. 27 fewer bites, and there is no information how many of those were caused by pit bulls since the numbers included all banned breeds. That seems like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by , Feb 15 2:38 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Two black labs need home in Denver

Rubi

Barked: Thu Feb 1, '07 10:11am PST 
THEY HAVE BEEN ADOPTED! Just found out.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Rubi, Feb 1 10:11 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Two black labs need home in Denver
Rubi

Barked: Thu Feb 1, '07 9:51am PST 
4 years old, littermates, need to be taken as a pair. Beautiful purebred neutered boys who are housebroken and well mannered. Their owner has terminal cancer and is too sick to care for them anymore.

I am passing this along 3rd or 4th hand, the guys on the Jeep forum here know the guy. If you know of anyone in Denver or Colorado for that matter who can give them a good home, let me know and I will pass along your info.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Rubi, Feb 1 10:11 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > how sad.

Rubi

Barked: Fri Dec 8, '06 10:29am PST 
http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNAME=KUSA&IKOBJECTID=5d15e391- 0abe-421a-0098-9b179309e704&TEMPLATEID=0c76dce6-ac1f-02d8-0047-c589c 01ca7bf
[notify]
» There has since been 39 posts. Last posting by Snowball Brian, Dec 13 11:46 pm

Dogs & Travel > Dog sitters in Denver, CO

Rubi

Barked: Tue Dec 5, '06 11:58am PST 
I need some recommendations for Christmas travel. Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Rubi, Dec 5 11:58 am

Behavior & Training > Sudden escape artist

Rubi

Barked: Fri Nov 17, '06 4:02pm PST 
Actually, I did post earlier that it had a lot to do with not getting to go to doggy day care for the last couple of weeks due to financial reasons, plus I was out of town for a week traveling on business. So I'm sure that's why she was suddenly so interested.

We got the new fence up in 2 days (since we only had to go down one side, the rest was already tall) and she hasn't had a problem since. I hope that cures her for a while.

But I just wanted to post that we got to pay our doggy escaping karma back today! During a good long walk all over the neighborhood, a lovely young chocolate lab came to play with us. Rubi had her Halti on so she was really not pleased at first, but once I put the leash back on her collar she had great fun with the lab (forget her name already!) she had a rabies tag but no ID so I called the vet and they looked up her owner's #. We met her on the street on our way back. She was a sweet lab about Rubi's age, and an escape artist too. I hope her mommy figures out a way to keep her home!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Rubi, Nov 17 4:02 pm

Behavior & Training > Sudden escape artist
Rubi

Barked: Sat Nov 11, '06 5:31pm PST 
If she were going to get chained, it would have only been for short periods. I think I would have scraped up the money to take her to day care if I needed to. But we already picked up posts, 2x4s and cedar to finish the 6' privacy fence on that one side. the other sides are already there. I don't think electrifying it is necessary, she can't climb or jump the cedar fence. We'll have it up by tomorrow. we've already got the posts in and the gate done. She can't climb that kind of fence because there are no holes like in chain link to get her paws into, and the cross bracing is at the very top so she can't jump to it and then leap from there.

She's not crate trainable. I tried that when she was young, and she absolutely freaked out. She must have had a very traumatizing experience in one because she came completely unglued--crying, screaming, got the crate to roll over twice before I could get to the door to let her out. (she went in it and was fine for about 10 minutes). Now, she won't go anywhere near one--it's funny because she pretends she can't see it. She won't even look at it. So no crating.

Luckily, our landlady agreed to pay for the materials to build the fence.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Rubi, Nov 17 4:02 pm

(Page 1 of 31: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.