Postings by Katee's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 15: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  

Dogs & Travel > Got my Roadie! But I have a question..
Katee

Can we go now?

Barked: Wed Jun 21, '06 12:49pm PST 
Ours are nice and snug, too.

To get it off, mom just unclips the tummy clip, tells me to put my head down, and (with one hand on my head to make sure it stays down) she holds the Roadie at the base of the red loops, where the two sections come together, and pulls it forward and down over my head. Then it falls to the ground and I can just step out of it. Very quick and pretty easy for us.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Shana, Jun 21 10:11 pm

Sports & Agility > Sulky or scooter???
Razel

I'm a scooter- dog now!

Barked: Tue Mar 14, '06 6:57pm PST 
We are big scooter fans here, though if the sulkies were not as expensive as they are mom would like to try that, too.

You can also look at dogscooter.com for more info. puppy
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Taco, Mar 17 9:47 am

Behavior & Training > I need help quick!

Katee

Can we go now?

Barked: Wed Feb 1, '06 5:36pm PST 
You are still so young! It can take a while to get the hang of pottying in the right place.

Can the door to the bedroom be kept closed, or a baby gate put up, so that you can't get in there? And I've heard lots of praise and a treat every time there is potty in the right spot can help a confused pup figure it out.

Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Bodha Lei (Rainbow Bridge), Feb 1 6:44 pm

Behavior & Training > I only listen when I feel like it

Max

Kick the- ball....kick the- ball!

Barked: Wed Feb 1, '06 5:33pm PST 
Hi Dane!

Mom had to teach me to come inside when she called, too. I was really good about it for a while, but then the neighbors got a new dog...and it was just too much fun to bark at them instead! So now everytime I go inside when I'm told to, I get a treat. Most of the time it's a very tiny training treat, but sometimes it's a big one. I have gotten very reliable - now I'll even quit barking to go inside and get my treat!

Mom figures that she wouldn't go to work very reliably if she didn't get paid, so it's the same for us - we get "paid" for working!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Bodha Lei (Rainbow Bridge), Feb 1 7:26 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Too many to foster?

Katee

Can we go now?

Barked: Tue Jan 31, '06 9:50pm PST 
Thanks everyone for your advice. puppy

Oobi, I think you're right - it would be better for us to be more cautious than less! We have thought about this a lot, discussed the possibility with a Mal Rescue group (who, incedently, think we would be a good foster home), and done a _lot_ of homework on fostering and on Malamutes. Our yard is big and fenced, but we do live in suburbia. And the city does limit to three dogs; however this is considered a gray area since we don't actually own the dog. We are on good terms with our neighbors, many of whom also have dogs, and I do not allow my dogs to bark for any length of time in the yard - no fence fighting/barking. I usually distract my main barker, Max with a rousing game of soccer/fetch, and when all else fails I either bring them in or get out the hose, depending on the weather. And we definately have foster limits like yours, Taco!

Still, I want to be fairly sure we're not getting in over our heads before we pursue this any farther. So...another question for those of you who foster: How damaging would it be to be fostered by us for only a short time and then be sent somewhere else if this doesn't work?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Taco, Feb 1 7:26 am

Grooming > I am so mad at myself! Trimming black nails - PLEASE HELP
Max

Barked: Sun Jan 29, '06 8:08pm PST 
I have really dark, thick nails, too. Mom was always afraid to clip them, but they grow so fast on my front feet she had to! (My back nails seem to wear down on their own much faster.) Someone posted this link, which mom found _really_ useful. (look on the left hand side for the "How to Dremel Dogs Nails" link)

We got a cordless Dremel Minimite at Walmart for $18 or so, and it's so quiet that my brother Razel (who hates all things mechanical) is ok with it. She even tried it on two of the cats! Now we're working our way back with the nails, and mom doesn't worry nearly so much about hitting the quick. Plus the nails look so much better! I always had ragged edges on the undersides before, but now they are smooth. So we are total Dremel converts! puppy
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Molly- In Loving Memory, Jan 30 2:39 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Too many to foster?

Katee

Can we go now?

Barked: Sat Jan 28, '06 12:55pm PST 
Hi! We're looking for advice. puppy

Mom and dad are thinking of fostering a dog. The thing is, we already have three big (60-70 lbs) dogs and seven cats (all rescues!). Mom is home all day nearly every day, we have a big yard, and we go running at least a couple of times a week. We would like to foster a Malamute (and yes, we know there aren't too many out there who like other dogs and don't hunt cats).

Do you all think this is a crazy idea? To have eleven animals in the house?
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Taco, Feb 1 7:26 am

Dog Health > Lick Granuloma

Katee

Can we go now?

Barked: Sat Jan 28, '06 12:31pm PST 
Where is the lick granuloma? Sometimes you can get it to heal by covering it loosely - won't always stop the licking, but it can stop the toungue from abrading the skin so much. If you cover it tightly (bandage), somtimes they will just pick another spot. The only other idea I can offer is more exercise, but I know that doesn't always work, either.

Good luck!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Katee, Jan 28 12:31 pm

Sports & Agility > Backpacking!

Katee

Can we go now?

Barked: Fri Jan 27, '06 4:06pm PST 
We now have a backpack for everyone! Max will wear my old Kelty Chuckwagon, because it's small (and he has bad joints) and Razel and I are getting new Ruffwear Aproach II packs! Yeah! Now we just have to convince dad to go camping with us!!! (mom already wants to!)

Hi Morgan!
Mom makes our booties, although I only ever wear them when there's lots of stickers and burs around. Razel sometimes wears his when we go running on pavement, but his feet seem to be toughening up like mine, so he will only wear them when there's lots of burs, too. Max has to wear his whenever he runs, or he'll come up lame...we don't know why(no visible damage to anything, and no sores on his paws), and he only has to wear them on his front feet.

Anyway, mom started by making me a pair like the Ruffwear 3D Barkin' Boots, with Cordura uppers and Toughtek soles. The ones she could buy wouldn't fit me - my paws are narrow and long. She usually gets the materials from Dogbooties.com. Their prices are pretty good, and it's the only place she's found to get the stretchy Velcro. I like that a _lot_ better than regular Velcro if we're going on a really long hike or run.

When Max wore out his first pair, mom redesigned the booties to have two layers of the rubber cemented together, and folded and sewn to have a "toe bumper" that goes over the top of the toes and nails to help prevent them from wearing through. It seems to be working so far.

Razel had a few problems with the Cordura being too rough on his pads. Toughfoot helped a bit with that, especially right at the time the rub was discovered, but the zinc supplement he's been taking has helped the most. (but mom has to trim his nails a little more often now) Mom did make him a pair of booties with a fleece lining (remember to add extra room for the fleece!) and that helped a little bit. His feet only seemed to rub when he was running more than two miles with booties on - none of us have had problems when we're just walking or hiking.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Biner CGC, Mar 9 10:47 pm

Dog Health > Young dog with hip problems
Max

Barked: Fri Jan 27, '06 3:29pm PST 
Hi Shiva!

I'm only three and I have hip displasia, too. I was on Rimadyl for a while, but now I just take a supplement. I've had fewer bad days with the supplement than I had with the Rimadyl. I even get to run a few times a week (usually two to five miles) and I don't limp at all anymore (but I still don't like to jump). The supplement I'm on is Synflex - it has the usual glucosamine and condroitin, but also has some other stuff that seems to help, too.

Mom says she knows how frustrating and depressing it can be to see me hurting, and we hope you are feeling better Shiva!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by ♥ Ch Francis.... THD CG, Jan 27 3:59 pm

(Page 1 of 15: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.