Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 44: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Belgian Malinois > B. Mal. / GSD Differences?
Chloe the- Chaotic

Chaotic to the- bone.

Barked: Sun Dec 7, '08 9:50am PST 
My question is to those that have converted from GSD's to B. Mal.'s or those who currently have both breeds in their packs.

My next dog (years down the road) I would like a B. Mal. Since chlidhood, I have had Collies, Shleties, & GSD's. I now have a GSD/B. Mal mix & a Sibe. I fell in love in dog shows w/ B. Tav.'s when i was a kid. I'm all grown up now...and realize that a B. Mal. is probably more my cup of tea...just based on the coat and grooming. Problem is, I've never really been around a pure Mal. Sure I have a mix, but that's not really a proper guage of what to expect from the breed. I have done oodles of research; books, documentaries, on-line, talking to folks at dog shows, etc...over the past 2-1/2 decades. But that doesn't really tell me what to expect as far as temperment, learning, personality, tendacy differences between the two breeds. When I speak to people in dog shows, I either get 'they're wonderful dogs, I would never have anything else' or warning me of their high-energy level. Everyone thinks *their* breed of the dog is the best...so that really doesn't tell me anything. I want the real skinny...the good the bad...and the different.

A little background on me:
I am not a novice dog owner, I have had dogs for 40 years. Of the herders/workers I have had, the ones I have been in sync the most with were my GSD's & my current GSD/Mal. mix. I am not interested in a protection dog (therefore finding a a good breeder I understand will be dificult). I socialize and to obedience training with all of my dogs. I have competed in Dog Frisbee competitions, have trained and had a Therapy Dog, and my current two are retired Doggy Ambassadors...like I said, I'm not a novice (although far from an expert either), I list these things to show...I'm not fooling, I work with and train my dogs. I am and will be prepared for the high energy level...and welcome that. I like to spend hours hiking, tossing toys, training, walking, swimming at the lake, and going to dog parks. When my dogs were younger in the peak of their energy levels as dogs, they were excersised / trained on average of 2 - 6 hours a day in addition to running in the fenced backyard, and playing in the house. My dogs are technically indoor dogs, in that they do not sleep outside at night, and are confined to the house when I am away. My retired Dad comes over 1-2 times a day while I am at work and lets my dogs out to relieve themselves and have a play daily standing play date with his dog.

What I am looking for: Intelligent, high-energy, social, ready to jump in the car to go onto our next adventure. I am looking for a pet, not a dog from working lines that may be more aggressive. I do not know what my plans may be for my future dog, it will depend on the dog. If the dog shows an eagerness and tallent for Agility - we'll give it a go, obedience - sure let's try that and compete, Frisbee? - yup I can do that again if ya wanna, or if it just wants to be a pet...so be it. I let my dogs tell me what they are best at and what makes them happy...within reason. I spay all of my pets, so comformation and breeding are not an option for me.

What I'd like to know...is how is a GSD (what I am exposed and used to) different from a Mal. (no one I know owns one or has ever owned one...so I have nothing to compare)? What should I expect different in Training, Excersize, Socialization (with people, other dogs, cats?), Temperment, Energy, Prey Drive, Health Issues, overall Drive??? What do they work for? Food? Balls/toys? Attention/praise?

Thank you for your time in reading what I am sure is now a very long post.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jan 28 11:01 am

German Shepherd > Most important things to know about GS?
Chloe the- Chaotic

Chaotic to the- bone.

Barked: Sat Dec 6, '08 3:39pm PST 
Go to the pet store and buy LOTS of balls! Every kind of ball made if pawsible. Tennis balls, squeaky balls, bouncy balls, soccer balls, footballs, plush balls (for inside)...seriously...every ball you can get your paws on. It might not be a bad idea to pick-up a Chuck-it too. Next, make sure your health insurance is current and paid up...'cuz mark my words...at some point you are going to get tennis elbow from all the ball throwing.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Dec 9 12:39 pm

German Shepherd > Carols, Poems and Other Christmas Goodies

Chloe the- Chaotic

Chaotic to the- bone.

Barked: Sat Dec 6, '08 3:25pm PST 
Twas weeks before Christmas,
and back at Hailey & Chloe's pad.
All the creatures were stirring,
Nary a one being bad!
And Chloe in her Elf Ears,
Hailey in her Santa Hat.
Were both being ridiculed,
By PeekBoo the rotten Cat!

The furkids were playing,
Up on Mistress' bed...
While the smells of Thanksgiving,
Still danced in their heads...
And Mistress was shuffling around,
in her big fluffy sox...
Came up from the basement,
With the BIG Christmas box...

When all through the house,
there arose such a clatter!
Chloe lept from the bed,
to see what was the matter!
Away to the dining room,
Chloe zoomed in a flash!
To find Mistress had slipped...
and fallen on her ash.

There were the blinking lites,
and decorations strewn all around.
Some looked like dog toys,
scattered all over the ground!
When outta the bedroom,
what should suddenly appear?
It was Hailey the Husky,
Her lips turned up in a sneer.

I heard her Husky Howl,
In an ear piercing roar!
"We've gotta help Mistress,
get up off the floor!"
"I hate to admit it, but,
you're right" Chloe proclaimed
"If we don't help her up,
surely it is I who'll be blamed!"

Hailey and Chloe thought,
and then they thunk...
but howl to get Mistress up,
who had gone kerplunk!?!
Then Hailey came up
with a grand master plan!
We'll call on our Dogster pals...
Surely, we can put together a clan!

Now Smokie , now Beatrix ,
now Kiko & Josie!
Yelp Francis , yelp Meaty ,
yelp Vincent & Rosie!
They ran up the drive,
and crashed through the door...
To help Hailey & Chloe,
Get Mistress up off the floor.

Smokie and Francis...
each leg they did tug...
Alone they could not,
get Mistress to budge!
Then Vincent & Rosie...
gave a big mighty push!
And soon doppy Mistress,
was up off of her tush!

All of the Dogsters stood around her,
and let out a collective howl...
All except Meaty...
who dripped drool from his jowel.
For now they knew,
all was just fine...
Soon the tree would be up,
the lights soon to shine.

On the Christmas tree,
tinsel was carefully strung,
Every Christmas ornament,
And Christmas ball was hung.
Mistress measured Hailey & Chloe
To find out just how tall..
Then she hung H&C's stocking,
High up on the wall.

The pals gathered together,
at the Christmas they had saved...
They knew soon Santa Paws,
would know they'd behaved!
So, no matter who you are,
no mater where you are at...
We wish you all a Merry Christmas...
even PeekBoo the Cat!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 7 9:22 am

Behavior & Training > After the pinch collar.

Chloe the- Chaotic

Chaotic to the- bone.

Barked: Fri Nov 14, '08 9:32am PST 
The steps dow we took were...

Pincher
Choke chain (very important that this is put on correctly and used properly)
Martingale
Regular collar

Chloe was dificult and would not respect collars at all when walking...or should I say dragging me and choking herself. The only thing in the beginning she would respect was the pincher...tried to go from that to martingale...and the respect went out the window...so went with the choke chain in between the two and she respected that. When she got reliable on each collar, I went down another step. Only you know your dog well enough to know if you can make bigger leaps...or if you'll hafta go with baby steps. Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Nov 14 9:32 am

German Shepherd > Shelter Dogs...please watch this video...

Chloe the- Chaotic

Chaotic to the- bone.

Barked: Thu Aug 7, '08 2:53pm PST 
Beautifully done.

Chloe, Chaotically happy someone took her outta the shelter!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Aug 10 10:21 am

Shetland Sheepdog > What is your job?
Rue

Where's Chloe?

Barked: Wed Jul 23, '08 2:11pm PST 
I have MANY jobs...a Sheltie's work is never done!

Bring in the newspaper
Walk the human
Assist the human in running errands
Train the human to throw various balls & toys
Keep the human's feet warm during naps
Alert the human to every squirell, bunny, bird, toad, or leaf that comes into our yard
Help the human on a diet by doing stupid pet tricks for food off the human's plate.
Follow the human to the bathroom to make sure the toilet doesn't suck the human down.

And trust me...the list could go on and on and on...
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Aug 6 12:13 pm

Siberian Husky > Why does my Sibe toss her water around

Angel Hailey- (10/3/98~1/1- 4/11)

Barked: Wed Jul 23, '08 2:02pm PST 
Get your Sibe a bigger dish...like maybe a Kiddie pool...things are about to get cuter!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Aug 1 6:24 pm

Siberian Husky > HELP!! I\'m ready to call the breeder and see about a return for my 3-month old Siberian Husky!!!

Barked: Wed Jul 16, '08 3:30pm PST 
Typical Husky behavior...we've all gone thru it...the good news is that it does pass with training and consistancy. First of all...start yelling *OUCH* when this happens; only because when this happens with other people...their first instanct will be to say ouch and jerk away...so teach your dog the word 'ouch' when it comes to biting and nipping. Next, as soon as the puppy has nipped and you've yelled 'ouch' (even if it didn't hurt ~ say it)...then take your thumb and stich in the puppy's mouth sideways so that your thumb is just BEHIND the canines and wrap your pointy finger up over the snout so that it touches your thumb that is sticking out the other side (kinda like th 'OK' hand gesture). This will not hurt you or the puppy...there is enough of a gap behind the canines to do this. Try your best to put a little pressure on the roof of the mouth with your thumb...and hang on for dear life. Puppy will try EVERYTHING to get out of this...and does not like this at all! Try to hold this position until the puppy gives up and calms down a bit. It will then associate having any part a human in their mouth is NOT a pleasurable experience.
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by , Apr 28 7:49 am

Siberian Husky > Does Your Sibe Sulk?

Ki

AWROOOOO

Barked: Wed Jul 16, '08 3:08pm PST 
Oh HECK YEAH!!! Totally a Sibe thing...Hailey goes under the desk w/ her back turned to me...Ki walks to a wall, faces it, leaving me looking at nothing but his back. I swear...if they had thumbs...they'd stick 'em in their ears and say "LA~LA~LA~LA~LA~LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!!"
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Nov 22 7:33 am

Siberian Husky > Light Red Huskies

Barked: Wed Jul 16, '08 3:05pm PST 
That's odd that you can't find the lighter ones...I just know going to the dog park in our area...most red/whites are light like you...it's rare for me to find the darker ones like me...MOF...in my 9 years...we've only found ONE other red/white that is as dark as me.
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by , Oct 25 3:02 pm

(Page 1 of 44: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.