Postings by Koorazh's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 57: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Licking, Gulping, Panting at Night -- Solved
Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Fri Aug 30, '13 5:32am PST 
Update. Koorazh continues to have this problem. There seem to be two sets of symptoms.

1. Fast breathing with a hard exhale; licking, gulping, unable to settle. He is uncomfortable but not distressed. His nose runs clear.
2. Koorazh comes to me to tell me something is wrong and want reassurance. Then we get periodic episodes of really heavy panting all night, and sometimes rear end spasms. He shows signs of distress.

These things happen separately or together and that was confusing me for a while, but I think they are two different things.

Group 1 symptoms seem to be seasonal. That is, they get much worse around August and continue bad until about November or December. I suspect some form of environmental allergy. I have tried Benadryl, but it doesn't do anything.

Group 2 symptoms -- no idea. It seems to correspond with what some people have said looks like partial seizures, or it could be that he tweaked his back running or jumping. He has had spinal xrays and a MRI, both came back clean. May be connected with overeating.

What have we tried? Prescription allergy diet; heavy duty antibiotics; heavy duty gas reducers; antihistimines (Benadryl); switched foods; switched to homemade diet and controlled portions strictly; did a complete dental work up; scoped his sinuses (showed one sided inflammation for no obvious reason).

Group 2 symptoms are more episodic and we haven't had any more since switching to homemade. These things all happen *only at night* and of course never in the presence of a vet. We just had a bad night last night -- all night, licking, gulping, shifting around; gone by 4 am, breathing quietly.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Dec 9 4:12 am

Food & Nutrition > Why is transition time necessary with storebought dog food?
Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Mon Aug 12, '13 7:05am PST 
Koorazh was on commercial dog food for many years until he developed tummy problems (possibly acid reflux) that led me to a homemade diet. (The homemade diet seemed to solve the problem at first, but now we have the same problems, so I don't think it was the commercial food.)

When he was on commercial food, and we tried a variety, I always transitioned him very carefully and whenever I didn't he suffered from loose stool. Now he's on homemade and what is in his bowl changes on a regular basis and he has no loose stools whatsoever. Now I wonder why he had issues transitioning on commercial food?

Related, we are traveling tonight, and this is a real problem because of his diet. I'd like to throw a can of his old food in the car, but without transition I'm afraid he will end up with the runs . . .
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Oct 13 11:05 pm

Behavior & Training > Fence!!!

Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 3:50pm PST 
Puppies are a lot of work. The time you put in -- or don't put in -- now will determine what kind of dog you are going to live with. In that sense, they are like kids; they don't train themselves, you train them.

If you don't have time to train a puppy, you might think about giving your puppy to someone who does -- before the biting problem turns into injury to people, before you decide that you can't deal with the dog anymore and turn him over to a shelter to be put down (which is what happens to most dogs at most shelters), or before he is put down on order of animal control after biting someone.

Forget "sit," forget "come," forget "speak." If you don't teach him anything else, teach him "no teeth on skin." This is done gently, by simply ending play time when it happens.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 16 5:38 pm

Behavior & Training > Koorazh is going to sleep all summer?

Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 3:42pm PST 
Thanks, good to hear. In years past I would drag him out for walks that neither one of us enjoyed . . .but it sounds like his reaction is typical and I guess I'll let him set the pace.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 16 5:43 pm

Dog Health > Upset Tummy?

Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 12:14pm PST 
It is really difficult to pin down causes. If he grabbed a bite of grass on a walk, or found something interesting in the yard (rabbit poop?) that would be enough for him to have short-term tummy upset.

Very important for him to be hydrated. Make sure that he is drinking water. You might add a little chicken broth to it to make it specially interesting.

A teaspoon of canned pumpkin will often firm up loose stool. However, not every dog is interested in eating canned pumpkin. You might have to do something extra with it (mix it with food) to convince him to eat it.

Bland food -- boiled chick and rice -- is often recommended for a day or two.

A day or two of the runs is no big deal, but if it persists after that, it is time to see the vet.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 14 3:29 pm

Behavior & Training > Koorazh is going to sleep all summer?
Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 10:56am PST 
We have dew points in the 70s and now the temperature is hotting up to the upper 90s on top of it, giving us heat index well over 100.

Koorazh's plan is to sleep all summer on the cool marble tile of the entryway. Seriously. That is all he is doing. He doesn't want to be outside, he doesn't want to go for a walk, he doesn't want to chase a ball. Neither do I, to tell the truth.

He is nine years old and so a senior dog. Anything wrong with just letting him hang out until it gets cool and dry enough for outside fun? I am feeling guilty about not walking him.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jul 16 5:43 pm

Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 10:52am PST 
There's nothing wrong with that, but it won't be enough.

You have to take the biting thing seriously because you don't want anyone to get hurt or your dog to be put down. Puppies don't train themselves. Training a puppy requires a time commitment from you. You might look around for a good dog trainer running a puppy class. It will give you some good tricks you might not have thought of, and it's fun for your puppy.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jul 16 5:38 pm

Behavior & Training > Barking!!!!

Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 4:49am PST 
The wisdom on the street is that you teach a dog to bark on command and then you can teach him to be quiet on command. When he is barking, tell him "Speak!" and if he barks give him a treat. Once he learns to start barking when you say "Speak!" you can start working on "Enough!" or "Quiet!". Here's the Humane Society's advice: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/how_to_stop_barking.h tml.

But having said this, I have never been able to teach Koorazh not to bark and I have tried literally everything. He is not a nonstop barker, but he barks at squirrels, cats, and other dogs. He also has a bark that he does where he lies on his side in the yard and barks, about one bark every fifteen seconds. (Bark! . . . . . . Bark! . . . . .) I'm not sure what that is about; I think he may be trying to start a conversation with the other neighbor dogs. The best I've been able to do is to teach him to come into the house when I call, and if he is barking too much I call him in.
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by Carbon, Jul 17 11:32 pm

Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Sun Jul 14, '13 4:42am PST 
Puppies roughhouse with each other and bite and nip in play. This is natural behavior; I doubt it has anything to do with your fence.

The most important thing to teach a puppy is "no teeth on skin." Not only is this important for other people, including your family members, but it is also important for the safety of your dog; many localities will put a dog down for a single bite.

There are a lot of articles on the web about teaching puppies not to bite. Try this when your puppy bites: squeal (like a puppy would when it has been bitten too hard); turn your back on your puppy and give him no attention for three minutes. Your puppy will learn that teeth on skin ends play time. You can also try substituting a toy and getting the puppy to focus on the toy instead of your hand or ankle. But there is bad advice on the web too. Please don't hit your puppy, yell at your puppy, grab your puppy by the scruff and lift him off the ground (I've seen this on the web), or otherwise terrorize your puppy.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jul 16 5:38 pm

Behavior & Training > My Dog HATES His Cage
Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Fri Jul 12, '13 4:00am PST 
Koorazh has always hated crates and other confined spaces. Built him a beautiful dog house. He wouldn't put a paw in it, even when the best treats were inside. That is not going to change.

When he was a teething puppy, he would get confined to the kitchen with a baby gate while I was at work. When he was seven months old and older, he got the run of the house. That worked out for all concerned and he never did any damage.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Chance, Jul 17 2:28 pm

(Page 1 of 57: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.