Postings by Misty's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Miniature Pinscher > How long has/have your minpins lived
Misty

more Cheeto's- please.......

Barked: Sat May 15, '10 9:34am PST 
The life span of a Miniature Pinscher is actually 12 to 14 years but with in all breeds there are those that can live longer than this. I have had ones live to 19 and several to 16. Majority of mine though over the years have passed away within the 12 to 14 year span.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Mar 8 12:08 pm

Miniature Pinscher > New to Miniature Pinschers, any advice?
Misty

Barked: Mon Jul 13, '09 8:10pm PST 
leaving a male intact that has an undecending testie makes no sense. He cannot be used for breeding and based on his behavior if neutered he would slow down on the marking and probably be less vocal. Being that your bro n law is no longer responsible for the dog but you are, I would have him neutered to help prolonging the inevitable so that you can get a better chance of correcting some of his mis behavior. I have 13 Pins and still occasionally breed as well as rescue. I have been involved with this breed for far more time than seems I can remember. Good luck.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 14 9:16 pm

Miniature Pinscher > Do you do laps in your living room too?

Misty

Barked: Fri May 15, '09 6:33am PST 
all 11 of mine are this way especially when they get my Papillons, IG's and the German Pinscher in on the act. Typical of a terrier, high energy and their need to expel the energy can hit them at any given time. In my case I find it hilarious since the 13 cats are usually caught in the middle of the traffic created from the dogs. As a long time breeder, it has been referred to as the "zoomies" for many years. It just seems to fit them.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Misty, May 15 6:33 am

Miniature Pinscher > Don't like to come when called upon

Misty

Barked: Fri May 15, '09 6:29am PST 
sorry for being late to this.
Welcome to the world of the devil imps....
The Miniature Pinscher (Zwergpinscher) is in fact a terrier not a toy breed at all. Bred as a feral dog to live off vermin in caught on German farms and live in barns. They are fiercely independent and free thinking.
As a typical terrier, recall is very difficult in this breed on average which is why when out they need to be kept on harness and leash. Their instincts to bolt and chase after small quick moving objects are still very strong to this day. The issue you are experiencing is very common and does take a great deal of patience as with all aspects of training a true Miniature Pinscher. Good luck
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Misty, May 15 6:29 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Unbelievable. White Dobie \'Breeders\'

Misty

Barked: Tue May 5, '09 1:44pm PST 
Lilith, that was my point. The MPCA no longer requires the Miniature Pinscher to have cropped ears re: AKC shows etc. This was changed some years back. Working dogs though seem to be put by the wayside in these debates and I am glad you understood my point. I made it clear that I hope to see a change in the AKC judging as the primary reason why so many breeders still do crop is due to dealing with the show judges who still in their mind want to see the old version not the updated ones. That being said, breeders who show realize that in order to do well they have to appease the judges. Over time and with the new judges coming on board we will see more and more dogs no longer cropped. As for docking, that is still considered the breed standard so that hopefully will also be changed but that is up to each breed club where in the rules and standards are written. Again, it must be noted. The AKC is a registry, it does not set standards, rules or anything else with regards to the breeds. That is the parent clubs responsibility. They submit the standards to the AKC, AKC posts them so all can see. I would like to see a halt to the cropping and do0king of non actual working breeds (dogs) but until that time as breeder I am obligated to stay within the standards set by the breed club. In no way does this make me cruel. I have spent 50 years breeding and no for a fact that tail docking outside of what I pointed out is in fact not painful. As for cropping, in the Miniature Pinscher, this can be done much later than many breeds and generally it was done to attempt to match the crop with the dog size would be at maturity. This was done for show purposes. Many I have sold ended up as family pets and in fact were not cropped. Actually the majority were not. The dew-claw and tail docking is a must as there is but a short window of opportunity. But again, until the breed clubs mandatorily set the standards otherwise and force the AKC judges to accept and honor the changes with and open mind we will continue to have crops and even docks.
[notify]
» There has since been 69 posts. Last posting by Duncan , May 11 8:33 pm

Misty

Barked: Tue May 5, '09 8:15am PST 
I think what is being missed here primarily is that many of these breeds that are docked and cropped had a very valid reason for the procedure being done. What I do not see is how anyone could claim it is cruel to do this to a dog that is in fact still a working breed when to not do it results in far more issues than the original one time only crop and dock.
In my breed which I still breed working Zwergpinschers, if they are not cropped and docked I would be getting complaints from farmers as to the continuous issue of cutting away the loose chewed ear tissue from rats and mice. Where farmers who created the breed originally had enough sense after going through this realized and had enough sense to address the issue before it escalated. We have come along way as back then there was no anesthesia. As for holding and grabbinbg the ears. For anyone who has ever tried, you will find it is far more difficult to hold on to a cropped ear than a full one. In addition, the cone of a cropped ear can pick of a sound and locate far better than a full ear. The cone on a cropped ear enables the dog to focus in nearly perfectly to the exact location. Where a full ear is not capable of this though it picks up the same noise, the range is not as well focused and precise as to where exactly the noise is precisely coming from.
The purpose in most breeds for crop and dock was to eliminate a serious health issue down the road due to its work. As many dogs are still in fact working dogs these procedures are still needed. Even in the UK, not all tail docking is banned. It is reserved for pets but registered working dogs can be docked. There was an issue with this originally but after the first year of the ban and the large increase in these dogs and broken tails common sense took over and rules were changed. The AKC is not the party responsible for this in the US. This falls on the breed clubs. AKC is strictly a registry, it does not write the standards. As I previously noted and this needs to be addressed, as with the Miniature Pinscher the breed club standards no longer require cropped ears. Tail docking yes and dew-claw removed but no longer require the ears be cropped. The problem for those breeders that show is though it is no longer required, the judges are still old school and expect and reward and issue points for what the breed in their mind is still suppose to look like. Until these judges move over and allow the next generation to come in with more liberal approach to the standards and are more willing to accept the changes and not view them with disdain, the sooner you will see more breeders adhere to the new standards. Granted, even in my breed, just because the crop is no longer required does it mean that it is not accepted only it is no longer required.
As for the vet study of docking, sorry....I have had docking done for years and again outside of the occasional whining due to being held for the procedure the majority have just laid there or as one noted, slept right through it. Far too many scare tactics are thrown out in the web even by those who know better. As for the statement that all crop and dock is strictly cosmetic, get a life...in that I mean get a life outside your fancy city condos and urban homes and go to the counrty where dogs still work.....your views would be met with reality. It is not cosmetic in any way. It is common sense care to avoid issues in our loved pets to avoid the issues the creators of our breeds understood hundreds of years before and no offense, none of us here have created a breed. It is not for us to change what took others years of breeding to create. To propagate changes based on no real facts but assumptions is simply ridiculous. Those that generally find this as cruel do so because they assume it is done for cosmetic purposes as they have no clue why it was ever done in the first place. These are generally city people who have never seen working dogs whose ears are cropped and docked actually work. If they had and seen the problems created by not docking and cropping would be asking, isn't there a way to keep the damage from happening.....yes and the creators of these breeds did in fact. It is called cropping and docking. Instead what I read here is you would rather see dogs ear torn apart on a regular basis when performing what they were created for just because you think it is cruel when in fact what is cruel would be to not crop. Have any of you seen a dogs tail that had been stepped on and broken by a horse or cow. Are you aware that in many cases dogs have to be put down as this can effect the nerves into the spine where the dog can end up with loss of feeling in the hindquarters. Not all broken tails can be fixed and in many cases leads to amputation which in itself is a delicate procedure in most cases as this can also lead to permanent nerve damage. Geez, had this been addressed before the nerves could develop we would not have this problem. But we do, tail docking. It has a purpose other than cosmetic. Far too many people see the word cosmetic and assume again that this is the only reason why the procedures are done with no real regard for the dog and the breed. It would help to know all the facts instead of just the bantering of a few who have no more clue than those here who believe that this is strictly cosmetic with no other purpose. Will there come a time when cropping and docking is no longer a requirement, for show and pets I would say yes and hope so very soon. For working dogs, no as these procedures offer the dog less time having to address injuries that can only repeat themselves if not done initially. For those that are not aware, not all tail docking is done with the knife....many still use a rubber band technique that many farmers still use to castrate young bulls. Again, no pain just some slight discomfort and the fact is they proceed to do what they were doing before as if it was not even there.
[notify]
» There has since been 83 posts. Last posting by Duncan , May 11 8:33 pm

Misty

Barked: Mon May 4, '09 7:25pm PST 
yes this is true but you notice that they do not note the tail as the nerve ending for that matter the nerves themselves have yet to develop. Note that nerves travel the spine. In tailed animals the completion of this does not occur in the first 4 days which is why specifically there is a time frame for docking and after that it is deemed amputation. The nerves in the body exist but the tail is an extremity that is the furthest from the start of the nerves base. They are like a vine still growing and extending. This is why at 2 to 4 days is considered the period to perform this procedure as the nerves have yet to develop in the tail. Do they feel pain in their legs, feet and general body yes, but not yet in the tail. It is litterally a loose piece of skin with hardly any bone development and no nerves at that age. I never recommend any docking after 4th day though I know some that have done the procedure at 5 days and the dogs as others have noted, slept right through it. After this age is obviously what you saw and that is unfortunate and stupid on the part of the breeder for not having enough common sense and knowledge to not have performed the procedure at the proper age.
[notify]
» There has since been 97 posts. Last posting by Duncan , May 11 8:33 pm

Dogs & Travel > airline question

Misty

Barked: Mon May 4, '09 7:18pm PST 
amany airlines offer pet transportation but what you are looking for is one that is non stop. Also note that the charges are based on dim weight plus the weight of the dog. Dim weight is measured by height x length x width of the carrier than they add the dogs weight. In addition depending on where to and from the dog is shipped you have zones. For each zone the price increases. East Coast is one zone, Central another etc. If flying from east coast to west coast you have multiple zones. In addition, you will need a health certificate from the vet and federal law states no dog or cat under 8 weeks may be transported. You will need proof of the dogs age at that time.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , May 11 9:31 pm

Misty

Barked: Mon May 4, '09 7:12pm PST 
and as I stated, when a puppy is put into a physical position and held many times they will cry out. This has nothing to do with the procedure but is due to a 2to 4 day old puppy being held down when it is not yet accustomed to being handled yet at all. The dam is not present so there is a natural fear but as for actual pain, sorry there is none. If as you say they were barely a week old, sounds to me like that is past the 4 day mark.
[notify]
» There has since been 100 posts. Last posting by Duncan , May 11 8:33 pm

Misty

Barked: Mon May 4, '09 6:35pm PST 
Missy, no offense but fact is...dogs do NOT feel when their tails are docked. It would help if you study how the nerves in the body work.
If there are NO nerves there is no feeling. This is why it is done at 2 to 4 days. It would be to your benefit to study up on this before assuming then stating what you only think is true when in fact it is not. As for cropping, the dog receives a local to numb the ear ie: deaden the nerves so that again, NO feeling. Putting human context to dogs is what could be considered stupid. Again, far to much assuming with little facts to support it. I have been involved with rescue for over 50 years long before majority of these so called rescue organizations came about. I also have raised and bred dogs and cats in that time. I have seen with my eyes the procedure and the care given by other breeders as well as my vets over those years and not once and let me repeat this, not once has a dog been hurt of felt pain from the procedure. Were they physically uncomfortable being held in a position they did not enjoy, in some cases yes but as soon as the procedure was completed they were back to themselves.
This does not mean I support the cropping or docking but at the same time as a breeder I have to comply with standards as well as what will help my breed when working to avoid numerous injuries to ears and tail that they will without a doubt sustain where it will in fact THEN be painful. So what it appears you are for is the suffering repeatedly of working dogs down the road when all could be avoided had they been cropped and docked in the first place. Sorry, but that argument holds no very little water. I will avoid the pain they could suffer by eliminating it in a safe NON painful procedure now.
[notify]
» There has since been 102 posts. Last posting by Duncan , May 11 8:33 pm

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.