Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Picking up dropped items
Mattie

True Grit in a- harness

Barked: Thu Aug 15, '13 9:48pm PST 
hi, I've started teaching Mattie to pick up dropped items. At first i tried what my trainer told me starting with her toys and tying an item to it but, i didn't have the best luck with her kong but, it didn't really work and i still didn't quite know what to do. After a little research I've gotten success. Mattie's picking up dropped items well her bandannas for me. What the video i watched didn't cover though was after you get them picking what you started with up on command do you have to introduce the more different items for them to pick those up or will after they get to where they'll do it almost every time you tell them to they'll eventually pick up anything? One reason why i ask is i'd like her to be able to pick up more than just her bandannas and when i tried with something else today and gave her the command she didn't do it(though today could of been a off training day). Anything i drop that's remotely light and she's capable of picking up would be nice. Especially with my back and neurological problems. Like once i heard a dog could be trained to pick up money and credit cards if they were dropped and the handler gave the command. Of course since we are just beginning i know she's quite a ways from that level but, i was wondering if anyone might would have any tips on it.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Sep 4 11:56 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Vitamins
Mattie

True Grit in a- harness

Barked: Thu Aug 15, '13 4:48pm PST 
I haven't started with my dog or my SD but, I've been thinking about it. What I've been trying to get is a all around supplement sort of. It doesn't have anything bad for the dog in it in fact you can drink it too it's called Aloe Pet. The family stands by it the creators have been drinking and using aloe for years. It works with allergies, hotspots, and all around health. Its one of the most well rounded plants and products around. I've heard Aloe has even stopped a dog's seizures. All you do is give a table spoon per 10 pounds of your dog's weight in their food (for example Mattie's 56 pounds i'd use 2 table spoons) and it works to help with what they are lacking making their coat shinier and improving longevity.
http://www.melissasaloe.com/pet-home

Here's a webcast that explains the uses: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpEQBfguJTM
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Aug 15 4:48 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Agility with your SD?

Mattie

True Grit in a- harness

Barked: Thu Aug 15, '13 4:35pm PST 
It sounds like it'd be a fun thing to do. Though i don't know if it'd be good for my guide dog but, for other service work it'd probably do great. I would love to increase listening abilities with Mattie though especially when she's amped up but, i don't know how it'd impact guide work. Especially since she's supposed to stop at surface changes and what not. Though it'd probably be something i'd ask my trainer about if i decided to try it especially considering the advantages. Though i probably wouldn't be safe on a agility course lol. She'd be the one to do everything successful then i'd be the one to end up in trouble. I don't think we have any agility courses anyways in our area though but it makes me think about it. I imagine agility would also help with stamina. (Since my dog spent all of June in a kennel for the most part except when she was taken out with some of the dogs I've had to build it up. She just did 2 miles with only one break going full steam the other day where we had been doing just a mile and a half before.)
I might get Mattie into Rally though. It doesn't seem like it'd effect her working ability since its all obedience though the course is always different. Now typing this has gotten me thinking about both i might have to ask when my trainer is back in town.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Aug 31 9:02 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Washing Chaplin out -- feeling pretty low

Mattie

True Grit in a- harness

Barked: Thu Aug 15, '13 4:17pm PST 
I'm sorry about Chaplin i know that's hard from experience. My first guide that i had in training Hershey was super on all aspects except what ended up causing her to be career changed was similar. Her fears dealt with shadows and doors where when they were opened she couldn't always see on the other side. She growled and barked at it. I was devastated. We thought originally it was fixable but, it was too random. We couldn't set her up and get the same reaction. There's not a day i don't think about Hershey and i imagine i'm probably going to be bitter the week of fathers day for a while knowing that was when she was career changed. We gave her every possible chance but, we couldn't fix it.
I'm happy with Mattie now but, Hershey will always be in my heart and thoughts. I wish you luck finding a new candidate. I know it'll be hard starting over. I feel that way and Mattie knew all the commands but, we had to bond. We're well bonded now but, its still hard.
Boy was it a new experience going from a lab to a golden. I had no idea of what a golden grumble was before i got Mattie and boy does she have a opinion she likes to express.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Aug 15 4:17 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > New guide dog/ service dog handler a few questions...

Mattie

True Grit in a- harness

Barked: Mon Jul 22, '13 8:11pm PST 
We've been mostly focusing on getting ready for college since I start next month. Our schedules collided a bit so we couldn't officially work on the tasks since he's leaving at the end of the week and I'm going out of town tomorrow for a few days though he told me how I could get her bringing things to me though I know the task will take a while to teach though. I tied her newest toy to something and it really didn't go anywhere though I got her to bring the toy to me later on I think I'll need to start with lighter objects or something.
Since I didn't have my list of seizure response tasks I didn't get a chance to ask about them. My main thing is that she stays by me since I just drop and go into a semicomplex seizure for a few seconds. So far I've pretty much been doing everything I was told would help though. Keeping her on leash most of the time. Though I'm still a bit worried about it all the same.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 22 8:11 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > New guide dog/ service dog handler a few questions...
Mattie

True Grit in a- harness

Barked: Sun Jul 21, '13 1:19pm PST 
The guy came by today and said it was alright for me to train her to pick up dropped items and do a little basic seizure response training. Though since our schedules aren't working out right now it's pretty much my homework but, I think I know enough about how to train her especially since she'll retrieve toys, balls and he kong on command.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 22 8:11 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > boots for sd?

Mattie

True Grit in a- harness

Barked: Sat Jul 20, '13 8:32pm PST 
I've looked at Aussies they are decent designed for weather and terrain extremes. I ended up not getting them though because Fosters and Smith was sold out and I needed them right away.
Some new ones out your dog would probably like are called coolpaws they are designed specifically for places like Florida and Arizona. They keep the dog from overheating plus they have good traction.
For Mattie I got these boots from eBay if you measure their paw right and wrap the vercro strap around tight around the narrowest part of the foot they stay on well. She guided me for several miles on wet gravel and they stayed on plus she could walk on our new wood floors in the house.
I stayed away from PAWZ since I heard they fall off. Her's are called Guardian Gear. I'm really satisfied with the results and when I go to the beach this week I'll find out how reliable they really are. Mattie doesn't seem to mind hers. She didn't do the weird dog trot with hers she walked normally till I took her out to park and put her on long leash. In Harness she actually seemed to like them. One thing I must say which I'm sure is common for any dog boots is they sound like a Clydesdale walking in them.

Another set of boots I saw somewhere they looked like they had treads just like our shoes. I saw them primarily at things4yourdog.com though its at other stores too. Though I'm really satisfied with guardian gear. Their snug and useful I'd look into the coolpaws though for your climate since dog boots generally make a dog sweat and most are lined with fleece or some other hot material.

Another thing you could use as a back up that would protect her paws is called Mushers secret. It's paw wax that's completely safe for dogs. It works like sunscreen and you only have to apply it once a week. It works in all temperatures and terrains. It's breathable and not messy. I used it on Mattie and it worked great on the hot concrete. You can get it at Active dogs, Fosters and Smith and many other places.
As you can tell by the title it was designed by and for mushers and has been used by them for decades. I'm satisfied with it my dog wasn't doing the hot pavement bounce like some dogs were.
It comes between 6g to 1lbs and it will last a while. Plus you don't have to worry about your Doug's pawpads getting too sensitive from not touchin the ground often.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Aug 2 2:52 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Reliable Patch Venders?

Mattie

True Grit in a- harness

Barked: Sat Jul 20, '13 5:04pm PST 
I'm glad I looked at this before buying from service dog house. I'm really surprised though a few years back I talked to the owner about a harness vest and he seemed pretty genuine. Though in recent months when I'd email I haven't gotten responses back.

So right now I'm looking at Active dogs, things4yourdog, working service dogs, servicedog gear, pet joy and Raspberryfields.

Things4yourdog hasn't emailed me back yet when I asked a question

I can't say anything about any company yet though since I haven't had my guide for more than a month yet.
Though Activedogs seems to be the most genuine and helpful. Servicedoggear told me a saddlebag wouldn't work and suggested a backpack but, didn't email me back when I asked if they had one.
Raspberryfields seems promising they're a embroidery company dedicated in making nice vests and patches
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 28 6:11 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Beach with Service Dog- Can the vest come off?

Mattie

True Grit in a- harness

Barked: Sat Jul 20, '13 3:40pm PST 
With my guide Mattie I plan to use a bandanna on the beach when I go. I've got a patch sewed on that says service dog on it. With my experience out at Myrtle beach SC they really don't care as much as you'd think in the section I've been in, especially toward August after the 4th or after the unofficial bike week. I had seen dogs out there that are pets for years. Though someone with disabled services at my college that's dealt with SDs told me I could have her go down in harness then take it off and use the bandanna when we go down to the water.She leash guides me off harness
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 3:40 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Excitement!
Mattie

True Grit in a- harness

Barked: Sat Jul 20, '13 1:29pm PST 
A goldendor AWESOME!!! There were three in my class at Leader dogs. They seemed great and bonded quickly.

I remember dog day I was sitting in my room trying to avoid pacing the room I was so excited. I heard the sounds of clicking nails on the floor but, not mine. I got more and more excited the longer I sat there. Then my trainer came in and told me that my dog's name was Hershey. I said let me guess its a black lab. Nope. She went and brought me my dog and I was greeted by a chocolate lab. I was so happy.
My second dog day went different. I was approached about Mattie then I got to go groom my precious Golden retriever which I think helped the bonding process with me and her. When she was brought into the room she ran up to me and knocked me down licking me all over. It was so wonderful! I know you'll love your dog day too congrats!!!snoopy
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Aug 16 10:34 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.