Postings by Rocko's Family

GO!

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Chicken a rice diet. Good? or Bad?

Rocko

SOMEONES AT THE- FRONT DOOR! AHH!

Barked: Wed Jul 24, '13 9:38am PST 
I'm thinking of changing my dogs diet from dog food, to a chicken and rice diet. (Cooked chicken) is that enough or should I add a vegetable? Will just eating chicken and rice every day be healthy for him? Also, how is this diet on his teeth?
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, May 10 8:02 am

Dog Health > Dog Teeth Cleaning products that WORK?
Rocko

Barked: Tue Jul 23, '13 12:03am PST 
My lab, Rocko. His teeth are getting pretty yellow. I know he needs a dental from the vet but I haven't been able to do it because when he was younger I just brushed them at home then...I got lazy (I'm sorry!) He's 2 and his teeth are healthy but I don't want a serious problem...ever. but I don't want to take him to the vet for this because they'd have to put him under and I don't want to involve anesthesia or any kind of severe sedation unless I have to. I've heard of products getting rid of plaque build up from home (don't say greenies they don't work for us) he's not doing as well with the brushing like he did when he was younger, and the back teeth are the ones that need the most cleaning. The front I can clean and he's fine with it but he squirms and won't let me get to the back. Anyone know any good products to get rid of mild-moderate plaque build up for a dog. Whether home products or store bought? Like I said I don't want to put him under for a vet dental unless its absolutely necessary. Thanks!!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Dexter, Jul 23 6:57 am

Choosing the Right Dog > What to do???

Rocko

Barked: Thu Jul 4, '13 9:59am PST 
My uncle owned a rottie for years when I was a baby and he was a huge beast but the biggest baby! My grandma owned 2. One passed away when he was about 11 and the other she still has (he's 15) we've had children around him. He's always been a dream. Rotties are good dogs but stubborn and need firm training. Theyrr incredibly loyal which can be a down fall for new comers sometimes. Considering its so young and a child was riding it I wouldn't scratch it off. If someone tried to ride me I'd bite too! Rotties are wonderful dogs. It's so young. Take it in it and just love it and give it firm discipline. It needs to know who the pack leader is. They're smart and won't be afraid to take a mile when given an inch. My grandmother was able to raise two huge purebred rotties with no problems. They even got lose once and not one accident! The hype about them being vicious is bad owners/training/ and poor breeding. In vet tech school I learned purebreds can snap though in old age not always. But they're more prone to aggression as they get older. good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Jul 7 9:34 am

Dogs and a Clean Home > What Are Your Favorite Pet Products?

Rocko

Barked: Fri Jun 28, '13 4:32pm PST 
Bissel pet vacuum cleaner with a huge bin for fur and dirt, easy use hose, and 3 easy clean filters.
White wine vinegar. I mix it in my laundry soap
Baking soda in my furniture
Salt for urine messes. It absorbs it right up. Especially for my roommate's dog that never understood not to mark in the house even though he's nurtured and trained to go outside.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Jul 25 6:22 pm

Behavior & Training > My dog doesn't love me anymore?!

Rocko

Barked: Thu Jun 27, '13 2:25pm PST 
No I wasn't rolling him or anything just little things like insuring I'm the one who always enters and exits doors first and making him sit and wait for me to say common boy! And making surehe doesn't try to be taller than me by standing over me or anything. I've tried treats but he won't take them from me anymore. He's never been a picky eater. In fact, the opposite. But now he doesn't want any treat from me even though I've tried different ones. But I guess I could reward him more. Maybe I was so worried about him leaving me I went too far with being strict. Thank you!!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Augusta, CGC, RN, Jun 28 4:47 pm

Behavior & Training > My dog doesn't love me anymore?!
Rocko

Barked: Thu Jun 27, '13 12:27pm PST 
This is my first post. So hi.
I have a problem. I have a 2 yr old yellow lab that I've had since he was a puppy. He is my entire world. Not that I spoiled him or anything. I always made sure he was trained and knew who the leader was. Since he was just 12 weeks old he's been my whole life and I his. His previous owner was neglectful and abusive. I got him in a law suit. When I lived with my abusive boyfriend after that I protected him and my other cat with my life. I got out of there before he was even a year and got my own place. I've lived on my own since. Hes always been great with my 2 cats and 2 ferrets and even other dogs and little kids. (Maybe a little too nice! Lol)
But 3 months ago I had to move in with a friend who has 4 dogs. He gets a long great with them but I don't think he loves me anymore. I am the one who feeds him. We both play with him but now I have to call him into my room to sleep. And he seems like he doesn't want to He slinks into my room looking sad. He won't sit with me on the couch or play with me when I want him too. He won't take treats from me anymore and I don't know why. He's also becoming a little more moody. Like I said my roommate has 4 dogs and my boy loves them. And he loves my roommate more. He follows him around, sleeps with him, wags his tail at him. I first noticed this I figured he was trying to find a new pack leader. So I've established myself as that again. Maybe a little more strict then when it was just him and I. What do I do? I've been dealing with depression my whole life, along with some other problems like occasional seizures and hallucinations. He is my whole world. I have 4 other pets (2 cats, 2 ferrets) and I love them very much. But they're different. They would be happy with anyone. Rocko is the one who has licked my face after a seizure, dragged me out of the kitchen when I got 3rd degree burns, loved me no matter what. And if he doesn't anymore, I don't know what ill do. What can I do to get him to love me again?
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Augusta, CGC, RN, Jun 28 4:47 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.