Postings by Sophie's Family

GO!

Akita > New puppy soon

Zeus

Barked: Sat Jun 15, '13 5:51pm PST 
Thanks, I was trying to find one of Sophie's since I know he is going to go through collars super fast but I can't seem to locate anynaughty We went and saw him again today and took the kids for the second time. I have been to see him 5 times now but the kids have only seen him twice and this was the first time they were able to interact with them much. I definitely am happy with my decision on choosing him. We were back and forth between him and the white male in the litter but after seeing all the puppies with the kids he was definitely the right choice. The boys are only 5 and 6 and have never been around a puppy and especially not such a baby (he will be 5 weeks on Tuesday) and he was so good at putting up with them. The youngest kept wanting to hold him and I know he was squeezing him a bit much but he just sat there and was fine with it. All the other puppies kept squirming away from them but he was very interested in them and perfectly content to sit in their laps and put up with their awkward hugs.

We should be picking him up Fourth of July weekend which will put him about 2 days shy of 8 weeks but its a weekend we have the kids so they can go with us to get him. I will definitely be going to see him at least once more before we pick him up but the kids probably won't. I made him a page and added some pictures from him at 2 weeks and then at 4 weeks, I have some from 5 days but I haven't put them on here yet.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Zeus, Jun 15 5:51 pm

Puppy Place > do you think arlowe is a BOXADOR??
Sophie

Barked: Sat Jun 15, '13 5:38pm PST 
I see more pit than boxer, definitely lab mixed with something else. Sophie is a boxador and I definitely see the boxer in her although a lot of non dog people assume she is a pit mix.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Sonny, Jun 23 1:27 pm

Raw Food Diet > Chlorine in grocery store chicken

Sophie

Barked: Sat Jun 15, '13 5:33pm PST 
I intend on doing rabbit, chicken and fish as my primary meats with pork, beef and goat thrown in when its on sale. Also doing a good bit of venison this winter once I can get another deer.

I have never looked up specific fat percentages so I could be totally off base with this and I intend on researching it further to make sure I'm covering everything. With that being said, wolves eat game animals which are leaner than the average domestic animal we eat and everyone talks about how good deer is because its the closest to the natural prey item. So I would make the assumption that even though rabbit is leaner chicken it would actually be healthier than chicken due to the fact that it is closer to a dogs natural prey. I do intend on working out a system so that my rabbits are pastured as much of the year as possible and I'm hoping that my grow outs can be completed pastured. The dogs probably won't be eating rabbit more than 3 or so times a week and probably be getting fish about once a week so that leaves chicken a couple times a week with some pork and beef thrown in to mix it up, I don't feel like that is over feeding any protein and its more variety than the 3 protein minimum so I'm pretty happy with it. Like I said with the chicken vs rabbit thing, I could be completely wrong about that so if you have done the research then let me know as I would love to save myself some time lol, if not I definitely plan to do some research shortly.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jun 29 11:44 am

Akita > New puppy soon

Sophie

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 6:27pm PST 
Any recommendation for collar size for an 8 week old? He is a big boy right now, biggest in the litter. I wanted to get everything ready to go but I have no clue what size range I should get.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Zeus, Jun 15 5:51 pm

Raw Food Diet > New puppy feeding tips

Sophie

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 8:27am PST 
I am planning on feeding the whole rabbit, less work for me as well lol. I might end up skinning it but that would be it. I know my current dog won't even attempt to eat it if I don't skin it but I am going to try to work her up to. I also do feed red meat as well but chicken is my main staple due to prices in this area. I pick up beef and pork whenever it is on sale and I fed mostly venison all winter until my supply ran out in early spring. I am hoping to get 2 or 3 deer this year so it will last longer. Both my boyfriend and I work at chicken plants so chicken is cheap for me to get in bulk especially with some of the special sales (got 40 lbs of boneless breasts for $20 a couple of weeks ago). For my organs I do mostly beef and chicken liver right now since that is about the only thing the stores in my area seem to have although I am planning on doing an order with my pet carnivore very shortly to get some good organs from them.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Maxwell, Jun 12 11:39 am

Sophie

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 8:01am PST 
If it was only being rinsed with chlorine i wouldnt be nearly that concerned. Until i started working at a chicken plant and realized just how much chlorine is used and that the chicken is soaked in clorine water for over two hours, i think there is a lot more chlorine in the chicken than most people realize. Honestly most people dont even realize that the same stuff they use to bleach their white clothes is dumped on the chicken they eat.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Jun 29 11:44 am

Sophie

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 4:30am PST 
Does this concern anyone and if so how do you deal with it? Chicken is allowed to contain up to 12% retained water and they say that it is safe for humans because all the chlorine cooks out of it but is there any effect on dogs because they are eating it raw? The chicken I purchase is antibiotic free and only contains 4% retained water but that is still more chlorine than I feel comfortable with. Not sure if I am just being paranoid or not. I am stuck feeding chicken for about the next 6 months until I can purchase some rabbits and start breeding them, however I still want to use chicken as a protein source just not a staple.

I thought about soaking it in water and changing the water and soaking again but I wasn't sure if that would flush some of it out or not. Or if the amount of soaking and changing needed would be insane. Mind you it isn't 4% retained chlorine however I don't know as I feel very comfortable feeding my dog something that discolors and eats holes in fabrics.....
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Jun 29 11:44 am

Raw Food Diet > New puppy feeding tips

Sophie

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 2:53am PST 
Hello! I am getting a new akita puppy in about 4 weeks (he is 4 weeks now) and Im trying to figure out what to start stocking up on. I feed my current dog chicken as staple however both dogs will be switching to rabbit as their staple once I can get my rabbit cages ready and get my rabbits breeding. I feed mostly leg quarters currently as that seems to be the best meat to bone ratio for her but I am wondering what to start the puppy on. He will be eating puppy chow at the breeder and then I will switching right away to prey model raw. I know people say wings are a good choice for puppies as the bones are soft but I feel like with an akita puppy he might not learn to chew well with something that small. I was sure if the thigh bone in the leg quarter would be a bit too much for his puppy teeth though. I want to start feeding more fish as one of my other proteins but I'm having a hard time getting Sophie to understand that a whole fish is in fact dinner. She will eat fish fillets but she just plays with the whole fish, any suggestions?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Jun 12 11:39 am

Akita > New puppy soon

Sophie

Barked: Wed Jun 12, '13 2:40am PST 
Hello! I just joined this forum and have a few questions about my new akita puppy I will be getting in about 4 weeks. I currently have a 5 year old boxer/black lab mix female so the new puppy is a male. I have done quite a bit of research and have been around Akitas for the last 2 years including living with 3 for about a month however this is finally my first opportunity to own one which I am very excited for happy dance. I realize that the dominance issue is a bit outdated however I do feel like in a multiple dog household it applies a bit more (when I lived with my friend we had 5 dogs together, 3 being Akitas), strangely enough we had more issues with her older male akita with my female than her female akita. Anyway, my question is more about feeding time. I was wondering it I should feed them both at the same time or one before the other and if so in any particular order. Sophie is plays very well with other dogs and has been very well socialized, we used to go to the dog park daily until I moved further away from it. She does tend to want to be the dominant dog with whoever she is playing with unless they challenge her and then she quickly backs down. She is very good at home and definitely knows her place in the pack. My boyfriend has 2 kids, 6 and 5, who are here 50% of the time and she is very good with them. I don't want to have any problems as the puppy gets older so in wondering if there is anything I should start out doing to keep the peace later down the road. I have never had 2 dogs of my own together so I wasn't sure if it really matters who is higher on the totem pole as long as I am the pack leader. I also had a raw feeding question that I will probably post to the raw feeding forum as well but was curious about akita specific advice. I currently feed prey model raw to Sophie and want to start that immediately with the puppy although he will be eating puppy chow at the breeders. Chicken is my staple protein until I can get my rabbit breeding up and running. Is there a better cut of chicken for puppy teeth? I currently feed mostly leg quarters because Sophie seems to do best on that bone to meat ratio but I wasn't sure if the thigh bone would be a bit much for puppy teeth. I didn't start her on raw until she was 3 so I don't have experience with raw feeding for a puppy.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Zeus, Jun 15 5:51 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.