Postings by Firefly's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  

Food & Nutrition > Lying down to eat...should I be concerned?
Firefly

Life is better- with Sheltie- love.

Barked: Thu Jul 10, '14 7:45pm PST 
My Sheltie is only 18 lbs. But she eats while in a down! She looks like a fuzzy piggy at a feeding trough too! C: I wouldn't be too concerned. If you are, elevated feeding stands for food bowls may help!smile
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Jasper, Dec 4 7:03 am

Food & Nutrition > confused over the best dry food to feed my puppy pug?
Firefly

Barked: Sat Jun 7, '14 2:30pm PST 
Orijen sounds like a good food to start out on! way to go I really like the company and the grain - free recipes are just really good! It is a little pricey, but as long as your pug does good on it, I would try it!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Obi, Jun 9 4:46 am

Food & Nutrition > TOTW alternativies

Firefly

Barked: Sat Jun 7, '14 2:26pm PST 
I feed Earthborn Holistics. The price is pretty good. Runs alongside TOTW. Fromms is great! I would look into that. I loved the pork grain - free recipe for my sheltie. The place I got it from has a weird schedule, so it is more convenient to get Earthborn at the local Pets Supplies Plus. So far on the Pacific grain - free my dog has done well! Some of her itches have gone away and her eyes are no longer gunky. Plus her nails aren't dry anymore.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Zeke, Jul 20 3:50 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Thoughts on shelties?

Firefly

Barked: Mon Dec 9, '13 9:34pm PST 
Shelties are AMAZING dogs. I would know, I have my very own! big grin

They make great family pets, they like to herd the children and such, but from my experience a Sheltie really bonds with just one person, and they are the sweetest velcro dogs ever. I love Firefly because she was exactly what I was looking for in a Sheltie: intelligent, curious, and easy to train, since she was my first dog when I was only 13 years old!

She has been a great companion. The only thing I noticed about her is that she is typical Sheltie: she is very vocal and always ready to play. She can be a bit high-strung: I would say Shelties aren't for the totally relaxed family. A good game of fetch wears Firefly down now and a good training session keeps her from growing bored, but when she was younger I took her on daily walks and training was rigorous because she couldn't get enough. I did agility with her briefly, and I recommend agility classes. Shelties need exercise and tasks, or they will get bored fast.

Also, if you don't like grooming dogs, I wouldn't get a Sheltie! I brush Firefly's coat four times a week with a slicker brush because they have a double coat. Twice a year Shelties will 'blow coat' and if you aren't prepared... Then hair gets every shock

I love my Sheltie, and always recommend them as good starter dogs. They do need trained, exercised, groomed, and loved just like any dog. But if you want a good, vocal little guard dog, then the Sheltie is just a perf choice. Of course, despite Firefly's high train-ability, she still can't resist the urge to bark. I wouldn't get a Sheltie is you have very young children. Shelties tend to be a bit nippy with clumsy, young children, but they are usually very gentle. More often than not, they see children as their flock. But Shelties can wake up a baby or young one napping... Barking is kind of a big deal with Shelties, bol!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Ace, Dec 29 2:43 pm

Behavior & Training > First coyote encounter

Firefly

Barked: Sat Dec 7, '13 6:04pm PST 
I live in Tennessee. Near my house we have a large cow field that stretches for miles... At night you can hear a whole pack start to hoop and howl. shock The ones we have around here are abnormally large... I saw one that was hit on the highway and I had to do a double-take... That sucker was awfully wolf-like!

I've never had problems with coyotes when I'm walking at our state park or any park. Around here, coyotes are highly afraid of humans because they are a big nuisance. They used to offer a $50 bounty for every coyote you could kill and check in because the population was sky-rocketing and getting out of hand. It was taking a toll on livestock for the local farmers. They aren't very ballsy here, and often scatter quickly. But the size of those things... Too freaky. I don't ever walk at night, because that seems to be when they are most active and I never leave Firefly outside by herself.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Tika, Dec 25 6:48 pm

Food & Nutrition > sportmix dog food yay or nay?
Firefly

Barked: Fri Dec 6, '13 10:54pm PST 
I have a book called "Food Pets Die for" by Ann Martin. It explains how certain companies that use unspecified meat often buy euthanized animals from rendering plants.. I didn't mean to alarm you, or supply false information, but usually when a company refuses to specify the types of meat they use, that is generally the first thing I think of. But the book by Ann Martin offers a lot of insight into the pet food industry. I don't have the book in front of me currently, but I know a large number of brands tested positive for sodium pentabarbitol (sp?)

They may or may not be guilty (I think I remember them mentioned in the book), but still, I just don't trust any company that won't give up the information on their ingredients willingly. Meat by-product could be anything from road kill to slaughter house leftovers.

The price of Sportmix will reflect its quality, and usually brands that offer a large variety of specified foods will be a little steeper in price. Personally, 4Health would be worth the sacrifice, but I do understand that people can't always sacrifice money.

Another brand I would look into is PureBalance. It is carried by Wal-mart and generally is an alright food, and very good quality at an affordable price.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Dec 11 6:35 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Will designer mixes ever have kennel club acceptance?

Firefly

Barked: Fri Dec 6, '13 10:45pm PST 
I'm not too knowledgeable on the whole breeding of dogs, but I do think that the chances of designer breeds making it into registries like the AKC, etc. are very slim. Of course, these mixes are darn cute and adorable... But they originally were started not only for their cute looks, but also as a ploy for breeders to make profit.

Not saying they intended the dogs only for profit like greedy thieves with bad intentions, but I see mixes like "malti-poo and chi-poos" and I know that the "breeder" probably had an entrepreneur moment, where a cute name and cute look could sell and some breeders of designer dogs mean well when breeding hybrids. I myself, really love Labradoodles... They are so cute... But I would never be able to look at one and consider it an actual official breed, since these dogs are hybrids and weren't bred for any specific purpose except to be appealing pets.

But, I do consider the fact that the genetic variability between breeds could reduce the congenital diseases and other health related problems found in certain breeds that were obtained and narrowed down by artificial selection. I think these hybrids are healthier than their purebred relatives, but of course in any dog, human, etc. the variability is large but doesn't completely isolate and solve all health issues. I do think in the long run these designer breeds could be better family dogs if the mixing of genes could eliminate certain health problems, since I think in my own personal opinions, some breeds would just be disappointing to own like an English Bulldog for example, since they do have so many health issues.

Hope I wasn't rambling... I just think about the old saying "mutts are healthier than purebreds". I love my purebred Sheltie though... But those hypo-allergenic labradoodles... They call to me! laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by Ace, Dec 29 11:21 am

Food & Nutrition > Smelly Kibble?

Firefly

Barked: Fri Dec 6, '13 10:30pm PST 
Fish based dog foods, reek. silenced Firefly has been eating a salmon based kibble, and every time I scoop her out some, the smell almost gags me... But it isn't a rotten smell, just a very strong fishy odor that can be alarming at 8am when you're trying to feed a dog when you've just woken up! big laugh. I've noticed that beef and turkey dog kibbles smell the best! laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by Firefly, Dec 6 10:30 pm

Food & Nutrition > sportmix dog food yay or nay?

Firefly

Barked: Fri Dec 6, '13 10:26pm PST 
Nay.

Maxwell covered the most alarming things about Sportmix. I personally, don't feel comfortable feeding any pet of mine a food that isn't specific on what it has or a food that has been known to dabble in the euthanized pets-in-food game. I feel, personally, that there are many more options out there to feed your dog besides this brand.

If cost is a factor, I know Tractor Supply carries some Sportmix, but they also carry a food called 4Health, which is ten times better than Sportmix. No corn, specified meats, and they even offer a grain-free line at a very affordable price. Personally, I'd look into another brand.smile
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Dec 11 6:35 am

Food & Nutrition > Nutrisca Salmon and Chickpea Recipe
Firefly

Barked: Thu Dec 5, '13 6:45pm PST 
wave Another absence suspended! I've been lurking around the forums again now that college is winding down and Christmas break is about to take affect!

I have changed Firefly's diet, once again, due to that fact my mom couldn't quite grasp the concept of freeze-dried Primal RAW Food. I also couldn't stomach chopping up organs and meat... silenced Though Firefly was at her most peak condition on a kibble/freeze dried/raw rotational.

Right now Firefly is on 4Health Turkey&Sweet potato. The food fits my budget, but I can't help but think I'm skimping a little and would like to try and upgrade Firefly to a better food. I'm not entirely convinced she's doing excellent on the food... I still notice dry nails and she seems mildly itchy. I've been browsing foods at Petco and this small petshop here in the city, and I've become increasingly interested in Nutrisca, particularly the salmon.

I read the reviews on dogfoodadvisor, and I seem satisfied with it. I was wondering if any other dog owners feed this and what do you like about it? I'm always giddy to try a new food with Firefly, and I am hoping this food is cost effective as well. I know nothing can beat 4Health's prices, but I think I saw a medium bag of Nutrisca for about $30 and I am willing to dip into my budget.

Any thoughts/opinions on this food? I'd appreciate it! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Shadow *CGC*CL2*CL3*, Dec 16 6:37 am

(Page 1 of 12: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.