Postings by Sam's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 14: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  

Behavior & Training > Scared of the City
Sam

I eat- EVERYTHING!

Barked: Tue Mar 11, '14 8:42pm PST 
Thanks for the words of reassurance guys. Yes, Sam weighs about 35 lbs now so he's not heavy - but boy can he really hurt when he pulls on the leash.

Cool article Cohen, I just wish the author gave more practical examples of how to give the dog a 'vacation' of this stress. My parents are still living in the same house for now and we visit every weekend where he always feels better and happier, but I can't just leave him there for 4-6 weeks. After all, it wasn't my parents who adopted him and I would feel really guilty giving them that responsibility. Plus, my folks are trying to sell the house to move to an apartment too, so it's not much of a long term solution either. frown
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sam, Mar 11 8:42 pm

Sam

I eat- EVERYTHING!

Barked: Thu Mar 6, '14 9:00pm PST 
Oh I wish taking the stairs was a more feasible option, but we're on the 16th floor and it would probably take a while to get down (or worse, up).

It just kills me to see him so afraid of everything and everyone. There are so many things to sniff and other dogs to meet but he's too paranoid to pay attention to any of that it seems.

You're right about me seeing a behaviorist or something; maybe an expert can assess the situation on the spot. Until I find one, though, I'll try out your suggestion this weekend of walking up and down the hallway with him. Neighbors might think we're crazy, but hey, it's not them I'm training! :p

EDIT: Forgot to mention; aside from not taking any treats when he's in this fear-mode, he also completely ignores me. I try basic things like 'sit' or 'stay' and it's like I might as well have mooed like a cow.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Sam, Mar 11 8:42 pm

Sam

I eat- EVERYTHING!

Barked: Thu Mar 6, '14 6:57pm PST 
Hello again dogsters!

Back in November Sam and I moved away from suburbia to the city. In the beginning he was pretty anxious, never having been in an elevator before, or crossed a super busy street, but I thought we would be able to overcome it. It's now March and I feel like things only get worse frown

I'll describe a typical day with what I've noticed..

In the morning he's happy and fine as I get ready for work. When we're ready to go, I grab his leash and he does not look happy (doesn't move towards door or anything). I put it on him, and I have to gently tug a little bit to get him to walk out. In the hallway he's still doing ok, walking by my side, no pulling. When we get to the elevator lobby, it starts. His back legs start getting shaky, he stops paying attention to me, stops taking treats, sniffs the ground, pulls from one side to the other, backs up into my legs for no reason. When the elevator arrives he gets in, but stands as close as possible to the door and lunges out as soon as it opens.

He acts the same way in the lobby, pulling desperately. We get outside and it continues... the bad part is that he pulls INTO TRAFFIC! It's extremely hard to cross the road with him; have to hold the leash super short. He keeps his tail in between his legs at all times too. I take him potty and drop him off in daycare. He seems to like his walkers there and is always happy to see them.

Cut to about 10 hours later. I go pick him up and he's happy to see me. We walk back to my place and it's the same thing.. pulling and pulling, forward, back, left, right... doesn't even make any sense. He only relaxes once we're back in the hallway, heading home. When I take him out to potty later at night is when it gets even worse. When I try to walk him towards his night potty area, he pulls the other way repeatedly, like he's scared of going there. This area is a nicely lit, grassy area with not many people or dogs and is the best and closest place to take him at night. He does his business as soon as he gets to the grass and we start heading back. This is where it gets really bad - he pulls maniacally (worse than usual) once he sees my building in the distance. It's like he's absolutely desperate to get back. If I try walking PAST my building to continue a longer walk, he stops completely and won't move. My only choice becomes going back home because he literally will not move.

This is really starting to wear on me and I don't know what to do. He's never had a negative experience (like someone stepping on him/hitting him, a dog attacking him, etc) outside. Quite the opposite - he only gets friendly gestures from strangers. But whenever anyone tries to pet him or anything, he recoils. This is not normal behavior for him; he's usually very friendly and approachable. I've tried giving him treats as we walk, but he stops taking treats as soon as we get to the elevator. I thought that 4 months would be enough to condition him to this environment but he's just not getting any better.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas? I don't want to dread our daily walks anymore frown I pretty much started limiting the walks to just potty breaks since he's too difficult to handle for longer periods of time; and I don't want that.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Sam, Mar 11 8:42 pm

Dog Health > Ticks not going away :(

Sam

I eat- EVERYTHING!

Barked: Fri Jan 31, '14 8:53pm PST 
I think it's been like 3 months since I made my last topic about this, but the problem just isn't going away.

I've identified them, and they're brown dog ticks. They're everywhere. I find them on Sam every day, I sometimes see them on walls or other places around the house, and I just found a huge 'nest' of hundreds of tiny newly hatched ones.

On Sam I've tried Frontline and Advantix and with both I still constantly find live ticks on him. I've even tried a natural herbal spray that's supposed to keep off ticks. Nothing. In my apartment, I've trying spraying it with chemicals that say they kill ticks but I still find them.

I just don't know what to do. I highly doubt he's getting them outside since I live in the city... not much grass/shrubs for ticks to crawl up on. Maybe daycare, but he had ticks before I put him in there so I'll never know.

My apartment doesn't have carpet so it's tough for them to hide, but even then it's not impossible. I vacuum almost every day but not sure if that helps at all.

I just could really use some help frown I'm tired of the paranoia and I'm sure poor Sam is tired of those horrible bites. What can I do to get rid of this problem? I need to break the cycle (bite, lay eggs, hatch, etc) but nothing works.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Scruffy (R.I.P.), Feb 1 9:45 am

Behavior & Training > Anxiety in Public

Sam

I eat- EVERYTHING!

Barked: Tue Nov 19, '13 7:58pm PST 
Ever since we brought Sam home he has taken a dislike to being anywhere other than our house and neighborhood. On our first trip to Petco he was so shaky he could barely walk! Since then I try to introduce him to other environments slowly. When we went on vacation and had to leave him in overnight daycare, he was scared at first, but within a day or two got really used to the daycare and its other dogs and was happy, but then again, this was a closed environment.

Every time we take him somewhere 'new' he's very shaky and nervous. Last week my dad brought him to have lunch with me where I work (lots of outdoor restaurants). He kept walking in zigzags; going left and then suddenly right suddenly which he usually doesn't do. When we got to the restaurant he just sat under the table watching, tail between legs and his hind quarters shaking. He was like that for pretty much the whole time. I tried giving him treats but he wouldn't take anything. I'm not sure why he's so terrified of these things since we've been introducing him to new environments since we brought him home (And nothing negative ever happened).

Should I try to keep exposing him to scenarios like the one above, or is there a better way to get him to be less nervous? I just want him to be happy and relaxed, and last week he looked anything but frown
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Hershey, Nov 21 11:49 am

Dog Health > I just pulled 8 ticks/fleas from his EARS!
Sam

I eat- EVERYTHING!

Barked: Wed Oct 30, '13 8:09am PST 
For some reason he's just a very smelly pup *shrug*. I don't like waiting until the stench becomes so unberable that just petting him will leave your hands stinking. His skin isn't dried out or anything, and we only bathed him 5 days after we had applied the Frontline, so it was fine.

As for the ticks... the ones on the couch were moving around. The ones on him... hmmm, I think the one from his ear was still moving, but it was REALLY tiny. It looked like it had just latched onto him recently. The ones in between his paws I couldn't tell. There definetely weren't very many and I tried to be as thorough as possible. The white areas in his body are easier to inspect, but I tried checking everything.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Beowulf, Nov 3 4:39 pm

Sam

I eat- EVERYTHING!

Barked: Wed Oct 30, '13 6:54am PST 
Thanks for all the help guys! I do have a couple of BIG questions though:

I bathed Sam this weekend, as I bathe him every weekend. I read somewhere that it was water proof, so I didn't think this was a problem.

Well, yesterday night I was cuddling with Sam on the couch and when he got up to go to the other side of the couch I saw a huge black tick walking on the couch! I killed it immediately and grabbed him back to check him for ticks. I found one on his ear and two more between his toes. Then when he got down from the couch, I saw another big black tick just like the first one again on the couch. When I got up, there was another one behind me!

Is it possible that bathing him wore off the Frontline?! What am I supposed to do; not bathe him ever again? We bathe him every week because he starts to smell, and I would hate to cut that amount.

Help?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Beowulf, Nov 3 4:39 pm

Sam

I eat- EVERYTHING!

Barked: Mon Oct 21, '13 7:44pm PST 
Thanks! I ended up going with Frontline Plus at my local Petco and we applied it on him just now. When I came home my mom told me she found a bunch more on his arm pits and stomach (that were def. not there yesterday!).

Question - I paid $68 for it in Petco. I saw places online selling it for cheaper. Those are the same products right, not knock offs? If you get this online, where do you get it?
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Beowulf, Nov 3 4:39 pm

Sam

I eat- EVERYTHING!

Barked: Sun Oct 20, '13 7:13pm PST 
Thanks! I will look into Frontline.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Beowulf, Nov 3 4:39 pm

Sam

I eat- EVERYTHING!

Barked: Sat Oct 19, '13 9:36pm PST 
Help!

Here's the whole story:

In the last few months I've let Sam explore other neighbor's front yards during our walks. Not for potty, but because he likes to sniff where other dogs have been. Two weeks ago we found a HUGE (size of my finger nail) tick on his chest after keeping him in daycare for the weekend. Along with that one we also found 3 little ones in the same place. We killed all of them, bought flea/tick shampoo, bathed him in it last week, and thought we were done.

This week Sam gets neutered. He has the huge cone in his head and the vet says to avoid heavy exercise for about a week. So this whole week I've kept the walks limited to pretty much our yard and that's it.

Today, I'm playing with his ears while watching a movie and I feel a strange bump. It looked like the color of his skin so I thought it might just be a natural skin bump. Still curious, I grab my tweezers and tug on it... and a little bug with legs comes out. I yell to my mom and she comes over and she thinks it's a flea. She puts pressure on it in her hands and it explodes - blood everywhere. I go back to his ears and proceed to find another 7 that looked exactly like the first one. Here's the scarier part, when he moved out of where he was sitting, there was a red tick like bug walking where he used to be sitting! Killed that one too.

Help! Is there any way I can avoid this while walking with him?? Where all these bugs coming from; is it our yard? Can we spray our yard with something? Does fleas/tick shampoos actually work? Why and how did these things get in his ears out of all places, and not his legs or chest?
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Beowulf, Nov 3 4:39 pm

(Page 1 of 14: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.