Postings by Sweet Caroline's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 93: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Choosing the Right Dog > Dog breeds good with cats and good for older dogs
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Wed Jul 29, '15 10:36pm PST 
Thanks for the advice. I was looking at dogs just today on petfinder and found myself saying "sigh not one of these dogs is Jake" and was totally disinterested. I know its wrong to say that they're not jake but they're not T.T. So that didn't go well.

Jake appears to still have some life in in him so we're doing a touch and go. Based on his eliminations. >.<

I think i will look for foster or adoption or breeders with cats in the home. I still don't know how to get past "oh its not Jake." I mean Mr. Beagle isn't gone yet but I find myself looking for him in other dogs in healthy dogs. Stupid cancer >.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jake & Sweet Caroline, Wed 10:36 pm

Dog Health > Second Wind? Eating more and chasing the cat
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Wed Jul 29, '15 10:07pm PST 
Mr. Beagle got wind that Friday was his last day and he doesn't seem to want to go into the good night without a fight. After realizing I couldn't get emotional and just give up on Jake. I went online and did some research and found a "miracle" tea and started giving it to Jake along withe the doctor perscribed proxicam.

Is it normal for dogs close to death to have "second winds"? were it seems like they're back to normal?

I have changed jake to eating Instinct Limited Ingredient food. I'm debating Stella and Chewies. He doesn't seem ready to give up. Just today he found the energy to chase Jaxs through the bars of his kennel.dogkitty he hasn't been leaking urine as often but he's peeing okay (better then before but still not a strong steam).

Right now Jake is eating 2-3 cans of wet food a day. This is more then he's eatten in weeks in a single day. He also gets 1/4 of a Fresh Pets grain free beef and cranberry roll.

He's pooping a bit better too. I have ordered some Cell Advanced Pills also and will begin Jake on those as well as a renal support suppliment.

His vet says though the prognosis isn't good Jake has already lived past the 30 day sentence most dogs have when they have Prostate Cancer.

So we will continue to go forward. Our vet will help Jake with acupuncture, I will keep supplimenting with tumeric curcumin, echinacea, the renal suppliment, the tea pills, fresh tea and the cell advance. He will have bi monthly ultrasounds to monitor the tumors growth. Once he can no longer relieve himself the vet and I have decided it's time (for good_.

This is a crazy chase Jake has put me on. And I guess he's not ready to call it quits yet. So we're taking it day to day.

Today has been a good day smile
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Peter Parker, Fri 9:57 am

Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Barked: Mon Jul 27, '15 12:50pm PST 
Not a big fan of poms. All the ones I've known had bad breath and were yippy.
I'm leaning towards a poodle or something like that. I don't think a pound rescue will work this time because of Jaxs. Can't risk him getting mauled by a dog. So I'll probably go the proper breed related rescue way this time or something like Best Friends a society. That's why I'm looking for breed suggestions.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Jake & Sweet Caroline, Wed 10:36 pm

Jake & Sweet- Caroline

I'm leaning towards a poodle or something like that. I don't think a pound rescue will work this time because of Jaxs. Can't risk him getting mauled by a dog. So I'll probably go the proper breed related rescue way this time or something like Best Friends a society. That's why I'm looking for breed suggestions.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Jake & Sweet Caroline, Wed 10:36 pm

Jake & Sweet- Caroline

[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Jake & Sweet Caroline, Wed 10:36 pm

Dog Health > Ear irritation
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Barked: Mon Jul 27, '15 12:47pm PST 
Ear issue maybe due to a yeast infection. I would take him to the vet so you get the proper medication to treat it especially if it smells funky.

You can buy dog ear wash at any pet store for after baths of if they're heads get wet. This keeps the ears from growing yeast to begin with.

As the owner of floppy earred wonder dogs having a good ear cleaner is a necessity to prevent the infection from returning.

Good luck.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Reina, Mon 5:40 pm

Dog Health > It appears to be cancer (Prostate Cancer) - How to keep weight on and eating up?

Mr. Jake the- Beagle

Barked: Sun Jul 26, '15 10:10pm PST 
Thank you Yoshi & Scooter.

Jake didn't really want to eat today. Not even cat food.

It's a bit depressing so he got some proxicam and I have a liquid nutrient jelly.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Yoshi, Wed 9:29 am

Sweet- Caroline

A Sweet Older- Lady

Barked: Sun Jul 26, '15 10:07pm PST 
Anything but another beagle. I don't think another male beagle will do me any good once Jake is gone. It will be too painful. Plus I don't think beagles and cats mix very well.
I've always adopted both of my dogs and my cat was a random find one day.
So any breed really but sincevim usually an apartment dweller small dogs
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Jake & Sweet Caroline, Wed 10:36 pm

Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Barked: Sat Jul 25, '15 10:43pm PST 
Hello all,

While I'm dealing with Jake's pending parting I need to think of Sweet Caroline and Jaxs future.

Caroline is deeply bonded to Jake. Just today when they took him in the back for an ultrasound she was uncontrollable in distress. I'm afraid that once he passes either naturally or via euthanasia she'll die of depression. She's already old as it is and I'm not sure how she'll do without a companion.

Problem is now unlike when I had acquired Jake and later Caroline I have a 10 month old kitten named Jaxs Teller who thinks he's a dog having been raised by Sweet Caroline for the last year.

He and Jake never got along as Jake always tries/tried to eat him.

So for next time I'm looking for breeds of dog that are more cat friendly. I'm aware each dog is an individual as I was surprised Caroline took to raising him vs eating him.

I'm considering a miniature poodle or something along those lines but I'm open to any ideas.

I don't plan on getting another dog any time soon unless I see it may help sweet Caroline.

Thank you,

Jake's mom
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Jake & Sweet Caroline, Wed 10:36 pm

Dog Health > It appears to be cancer (Prostate Cancer) - How to keep weight on and eating up?
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

Barked: Sat Jul 25, '15 5:18pm PST 
So we went to the vet today and I was not fully prepared for it to be our final visit. Despite me treating jake with tons of love, ice cream, burgers with the buns and a photo shoot day. neither one of us was ready. So when we went to the vet we got another ultrasound and I got bad news.

We are certain now it's cancer. While it's not spreading it is growing and it is growing into Jake's bladder. So for his comfort and my piece of mind that he won't suffer needlessly. Next Friday July 31st will be our last day together. We have a night appointment so we can take as much time as we need to say our goodbyes.

It's ironic because it as July 31st 2011 when they found Jake roaming around on the streets and he was picked up by Animal Control. Several homes and a few months later he found his way to me.

I want to thank everyone who's been so supportive of me and Jake over the years. I'll keep you guys posted on his progress till the very end.

From,

Jake's Mom
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Yoshi, Wed 9:29 am

(Page 1 of 93: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.