|Barked: Tue Feb 19, '13 12:38pm PST |
|Hello, I have a 4.5 month American Akita (male) called Chiaki. I would like to hear opinions and suggestions as to dealing with his behavior that I'm slightly worried about. I thought it would be best to deal with anything that has a potential to develop into something serious.
(1) I was at a puppy class, and a German Shepherd puppy comes over to sniff. Chiaki calmly accepts the sniff and sniffs back, but after a while the German Shepherd puppy jumped at Chiaki in play and he snapped (the air). Is this a sign of dog aggression? How should I deal with this?
(2) I have a Shiba, Ryo (female, 4 years) who is on the small side (18lbs). When Chiaki plays with her he gets quite rough sometimes and startles Ryo - this usually happens when he chases her and mounts her from behind or runs into her (which must hurt). Other times when they play Ryo mouths him and he'll lie on the grass and mouth her back. He doesn't make noise when playing with her (except a rare squeal), while Ryo will always make growling/snarling sounds. Is this normal play between dogs? How should I deal with the Shiba's noises - is it something I should worry about?
(3) Ryo went to drink from Chiaki's water bowl, and he went over and snapped at her. This happened before when I gave them treats too. Lately he hasn't done this as I've been keeping a closer watch when there is food/his water involved. Is there a good way to get him to "share" willingly or is it better to just keep watch and keep food/water separate? He doesn't seem to get possessive with his toys.
(4) When I go to give Ryo pets/affection in the backyard, Chiaki will come rushing over and push himself between Ryo and myself or bowl her out of the way. I ignore him when he does this, but Ryo gets startled, and now when I approach Ryo outside she avoids me because she's wary of Chiaki. This is horrible and I feel so bad. I'm not sure how to deal with this as ignoring doesn't seem to have done much. Any suggestions how to deal with this?
(5) Sometimes when I leave the kitchen area (Chiaki is confined to kitchen area until fully potty trained and reliable re chewing) - e.g. to go to shower, Chiaki will start to whine/howl, then when I finish showering I can hear him start up again once he hears me moving around upstairs. This seems to be improving it used to happen every time but now its maybe 50% of the time. I wait until he stops making noise before entering and don't give him attention straightaway when I reenter the kitchen. He does seem very much like a velcro-dog, there was a point where he would get up every single time I went behind the kitchen counter and follow me because he wasn't able to see me. Nowadays if he's relaxing he won't bother getting up. Will he "grow out" of the occasional whining? Is there something more I should be doing?
I'll list some good things about him : He's extremely loving and seems happy-go-lucky. He's so friendly with people - he loves them and the attention he gets. He's tolerant and lets me pull out the clumps of dirt stuck to his belly plus he lets me hug him (had to get him used to it ). There are many more little things that I love about him, but this post is already getting too long.
Also I would like to hear any overall evaluations about my boy's temperament and potential problems. Thank you for any help!
Oh my I just realised how long this post is. I'm sorry and thankyou if you bothered to read it all!
|my posts | my page | msg me | my family's posts | gift me | become pals|| [notify]|