Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 18: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  

Food & Nutrition > What kind of food and how much for a 6.5 lb puppy?
Wee Girl Pup

I need a name!

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 10:09am PST 
What kind of high quality puppy food would you recommend? And at 7 and a half weeks, she was about 6.5 lbs. Is there a chart I can trust that will tell me how much to feed her? Or should I just go with what the dog food bag says confused?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 16 10:32 am

Puppy Place > Puppy food advice?
Wee Girl Pup

I need a name!

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 9:59am PST 
happy dance
Wee Girl Pup (just a nickname for now) is coming home today! I've visited her every week since she's been born and she even had a sleepover with us just to make sure she was the one. But now I need advice on what puppy food I should get for her.

What puppy food would you recommend? I don't even know where to start. I'd like to feed her high quality and natural food, but I'm kind of new to that world. Any advice is much appreciated!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Feb 17 11:09 pm

Dog Health > Shaking/panting after taking antibiotics?

♥June- au♥

♥

Barked: Fri May 18, '12 10:28pm PST 
My dog just recently had a tumor removed from his left anal gland, and his right anal gland was removed as well, though it didn't have a tumor, and he's on antibiotics. But after we gave him his antibiotics he started shaking and panting, and last time he got a fever. Is this normal?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , May 20 12:19 pm

Dog Health > Allergic reaction?? Swollen, puffy face, & itchy everywhere.

♥June- au♥

♥

Barked: Tue Dec 13, '11 3:18pm PST 
Long time no see Dogster!

I came home to see Juneau's right side of his face completely swollen. The skin around his eye is visibly red and puffy and it's almost swollen shut. There seems to be some sort of fluid buildup under his chin and on his neck, making his face look saggy. He's also extremely itchy on his inner legs, and has almost torn off a harmless growth on his leg.

I'm consulting Dogster for some advice or support. I called the vet, and he told me to give him an ibuprofen and to put something cold on his face for about 10 minutes (I did both), but he didn't give me a time limit as to how long I should wait for it to improve before bringing him in.

Has anything like this occurred to your dog? If it were summer, I would swear that it was a allergic reaction to a bee sting, but the likelihood of that at this time of year seems pretty low. I checked around the whole house and he didn't get into anything, BUT, last night, my sister brought over a kitten someone gave her, and Juneau was in close contact with the cat for most of the visit.

Being nearly 17 and I still don't have my drivers license due to just being too busy to take that darn test, I was calling and calling my parents and older sibling and of course, they're all busy. After I got ahold of my mom, she did drop everything that she was doing and she is on her way, but it'll still be about 45 minutes until then.

I guess I'm sort of panicky about this, he is obviously very uncomfortable and is very itchy. It's been about 30 minutes since I gave him the ibuprofin and put a cold rag on his face, and there's no change at all. Has anyone on here been through this or have an idea what could've caused it? I'm almost 100% sure it was that cat, but maybe I'm not catching a symptom that could mean that it was from something else.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 13 5:04 pm

Dog Health > ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE

Jasper

<3

Barked: Mon Dec 13, '10 7:08pm PST 
We called the vet and the vet said to just keep an eye on him for a little while longer, just because he seemed to just be getting better. And he was right, he was a little constipated for awhile but now he's fine. No more holiday treats are going to be left on the table from now on, haha.

And yes, we believe that Jasper is a Lab/Cocker/Beagle mix, but there's only two different breeds to choose from for the mixed breed category on Dogster :3

Thank you! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 13 7:21 pm

Jasper

<3

Barked: Sat Dec 11, '10 9:40am PST 
Thanks for the response smile
I looked up symptoms of bloat, and nothing really applies to him besides the hard stomach and the gurgling sounds in his stomach. He's being his normal dorky self, and wants more food but we're gonna let him digest this first. He's still gassy and is pretty constipated.
We're going to call a vet this morning, and see what he thinks.
Thanks again for the responses smile
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Dec 13 7:21 pm

Jasper

<3

Barked: Fri Dec 10, '10 9:56pm PST 
Jasper's eaten large amounts of food before, and turned out fine (bag of chocolate chip cookies, huge amounts of chinese food, etc...) He's a pig, and every now and then he'll get into something like this.

But in the chaos of holiday treat making, a large pan of shortbread was left on the kitchen table for the day, and Jasper got up and ate every last piece.
The pan contained 4 batches of short bread, which included:
-5 cups of flour
-12 TB of sugar
-4 sticks of butter

His stomach is huge and hard as a rock, and is having some major gas issues. I was sitting next to him rubbing his tummy, and I could hear him digesting and feel little bubbles and sizzles and such with my hand on his stomach.

It was ALOT of shortbread. And even though he's eaten large amounts of human food before and turned out okay, we're seriously worried about this time.

Should we consult a vet?
Thank you!!
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Dec 13 7:21 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Dobermans: To crop or not to crop...

♥June- au♥

♥

Barked: Sat May 15, '10 11:37pm PST 
oops, didn't mean to make this extra post. please ignore...XD
[notify]
» There has since been 113 posts. Last posting by , May 17 8:21 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Dobermans: To crop or not to crop...

♥June- au♥

♥

Barked: Sat May 15, '10 11:36pm PST 
I'm planning on getting a Doberman puppy this summer, and I have every last detail prepared, except:

Should I, or should I not, crop my Doberman puppy's ears?

I think the dog looks very pretty natural or cropped. And I love the idea of having a Doberman with cropped ears and natural ears. What are your views on cropping?

Obviously, one thing I definitely think about is the fact that cropping is completely cosmetic and serves no purpose. So I'm aware of that, it's just....I don't know. I guess you could say I'm a bit OCD about planning these things out. Am I spending too much time on this? XD

I'm sure that by the time I get the puppy, it won't matter to me at all. But I would still love to hear some opinions on cropping. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 114 posts. Last posting by , May 17 8:21 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Which breed should I choose for agility?
♥June- au♥

♥

Barked: Sat Oct 31, '09 10:23am PST 
Thanks for all of the responses! big grin I enjoyed reading them all.

Yeah, that's what I thought about that breeder. I know better I guess, it's just that...you know the idea of having the sibling of my best friend's dog is tempting ^-^

I've spent a lot of time going to agility events, and so far I've really liked the rat terriers and the shelties. I also looove dobies and ridgebacks but I don't feel like I can control a dog of that size right now.

I should've been more specific about border collies, I have seen them in action and I work with a lot of them at the shelter I volunteer for. They are beautiful, intelligent, loving dogs that are absoulutely amazing, and I do love them. My friend has one that I often babysit, and although I love that dog, the level of intelligence and energy in a dog of her size seems almost intimidating.

That's why I'm looking for a smaller-sized breed (but not too small). Although a BC would be a great agility dog, this will also be my first puppy as well as my first agility dog. I know how to raise pups as I've helped neighbors and friends with theirs, I'm just a little scared as to the actual raising of the pup all by myself. I think a BC would have too much energy for me. But I agree, shelties are a lot like BCs in that sense.

As much as I love the sheltie breed, I'm trying to decide if they'll be a good choice for me. Everyone keeps telling me to get one, but I kind of want a rat terrier more to be honest. I've always been fond of the JRT type breed, and I keep finding myself attracted the rat terrier breed. And when I said they are less expensive, I meant in the actual obtaining of the puppy.

I am spending a lot of research time on these two breeds, and I'm having trouble creating space on my bookshelf for all the books I've gotten...all those dobie and ridgeback books take up a lot of shelfspace xD.

I will look into the Papillon breed, I've been fond of that breed I'm just not sure on the size... I like the (standard) RT and the sheltie for that medium-small size. I'm afraid a papillon might be too small, but I'm always open to suggestions and I will learn more about the breed for sure! smile

Thanks again! Please, any more advice and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated! ^-^

*EDIT: I forgot to add my idea on getting a pug....to be totally honest, they're not really my favorite breed...(sorry pug lovers!)...and I wouldn't want to risk a short-faced dog in the Idaho heat. And also, most of the events held where I live, have been AKC. And I understand that mixed breeds and shelter dogs often make good agility dogs...but I want to get a purebred this time. The idea of getting a dog of my favorite breed is exciting, especially knowing that I'll probably have the same breed again in the future because of this.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Nov 4 6:20 pm

(Page 1 of 18: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.