Postings by Laika's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Behavior & Training > When is it considered Pica?
Cairo

Ninja Dog- Extraordinaire

Barked: Fri Feb 28, '14 4:42am PST 
Gotcha!

I was thinking the trade offs were a sign that it wasn't, because I know pica in humans is specific, but I wasn't sure.

Now that brings me to a whole separate issue. I thought I'd given her enough to chew(she has antlers, soft tennis balls, toys made from denim strips, a kong, all of her gutted stuffed animals...) Could it be that I only buy her mostly soft things to chew on and she wants tougher materials? Or am I okay sticking with the soft objects for long term health reasons?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Cairo, Feb 28 4:42 am

Behavior & Training > When is it considered Pica?
Cairo

Barked: Wed Feb 26, '14 5:35pm PST 
Cairo likes to eat things at random(not stressed, not bored, literally just at random like in the middle of playing).

It started with her gutting stuffed toys and trying to eat the cotton, but I'd always take them from her as soon as she got a hole in them and now I only buy her stuffingless toys.

Then it moved on to paper, so I make sure to never leave anything she'll shred and eat where she can get to it.

Now today, after cliping her nails, I went to go get the dustpan and brush to clean up and I caught her trying to eat the clippings.

At what point should I discuss this behavior with my vet? It isn't unmanageable(she won't go out of her way for these things), but after 5 dogs, I've never had one that is this insistent on eating non-food objects.

Help?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Cairo, Feb 28 4:42 am

Behavior & Training > Training Dogs to Play Calmer(Quieter)?

Cairo

Barked: Sun Feb 16, '14 2:14pm PST 
The problem isn't that she plays rough, she just plays very loudly and I can tell that it makes other owners nervous. She honestly rarely makes contact with other dogs she's playing with, it's just a lot of spinning around and running back and forth. She barks the whole time she's doing this, and her bark is a little gravely so it can be mistaken for a "I'm going to bite your face off" bark despite the fact that her body language says everything but.

She does the same thing on walks when we pass another dog that is about her size and she wants to play.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Pogo, Feb 18 7:39 pm

Behavior & Training > Training Dogs to Play Calmer(Quieter)?

Cairo

Barked: Sun Feb 16, '14 9:37am PST 
I have two very vocal dogs, and they love to play.
The issue is that when I take them to the dog park, not everyone understands that they are just loud, not aggressive and they make other owners nervous.

One is a husky mix, the other is a cur mix. Both love to bark and howl and roo when they play at full volume. The issue isn't so much with my Husky mix as he really just runs around on his own, but my cur mix will play with any dog that's willing. The more excited she gets, the louder she gets. When I see that she's getting overexcited, I'll call her to me(away from the dog she's playing with) and have her sit for a second to wind down but when I give her permission to go back she goes in at full volume.

Granted, I realize that it's the other owner's responsibility to somewhat understand dog body language to recognize that she isn't being aggressive or bullying their dog, but if I can moderate it a little myself that would be better. I got a really dirty look from someone the other day and well, no one likes that when they don't deserve it. =/
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Pogo, Feb 18 7:39 pm

Catahoula Leopard Dog > Can someone point me in the direction of a cur line that comes in solid black?

Cairo

Barked: Sun Feb 16, '14 9:30am PST 
I've been trying to figure out what Cairo is since I got her, because her paperwork just seemed wrong as it had her listed as a Blackmouth Cur. I've been through some crazy theories(lab/vizsla)but the more I look into it, the less off I think that original idea was. She behaves very much like a Cur, and is about the size of a Catahoula or a Blue Lacy but I can't seem to find a line that has her coloring. She is solid black with white paws(all four of them) and a white chest. Her fur has a weird reddish tint towards her backend, but it is really only noticeable in direct sunlight.

As far as I've found, neither Blue Lacy's nor Catahoulas come in solid black like this, and while Black Mouth Cur's do rarely, she's smaller than their average height/weight span.

Any ideas?(I accept that she's just a super awesome mutt, but it would be nice to finally put a name to things)
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Cairo, Feb 16 9:30 am

Behavior & Training > Reinforcing/Rewarding/Stopping Behaviors In a Daycare Setting
Cairo

Barked: Tue Dec 31, '13 8:26am PST 
Thank you for all of the tips Ember. Right now, I make sure the dogs go up for a time out as soon as I catch them in the act of whatever behavior it is. I hadn't thought of the length of the time outs though(I have a bad tendency to just want to leave them up since they're being a pain). I think my usual time out length is about 10 minutes, so I'll change that.

I definitely work to prevent the behaviors. I know certain dogs have certain habits, so if I notice them in the early stages of whatever it is I stop them. I find it amusing that you used the GSP as an example. We have one who gets over excited and just runs and runs in circles and gets the other dogs over excited and generally causes someone to snap. As soon as I see him circling I distract him.

I'll try the hip holding tomorrow. I feel like that would be really effective with a few of the crazier players.

We use spray bottles, but most of the dogs that are always in trouble ignore them now. There was a brief period when everyone was required to have a whistle...but those are useless now too. The general treatment is "Spray, yell, time out" which is beyond irritating because most of the people I work with are really off with the timing and not teaching the problem dogs anything other than "if someone in a red shirt yells, don't go to them".

Every time a dog comes to me when I call them I make sure to praise them. I've found a lot that will come to me on the first call and then completely ignore my coworkers.

And Holly, I bought Cairo's collar from 2Hounds Design(http://www.2houndsdesign.com/) after being told to check them out by someone else on Dogster. So far, she loves it and everyone else does as well. It's by far my favorite dog collar ever(and with three dogs I've been through several designs and companies).
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Cairo, Dec 31 8:26 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Need Help Finding a Rottie for Adoption near Louisville, KY

Cairo

Barked: Sun Dec 29, '13 5:05pm PST 
My cousin asked for my help finding a dog for her...which is a little difficult online as I'm in another state.

She wants a male, completely housebroken but younger than 2 years but housebroken(so almost no puppies) who is medium energy level, good with kids, and from a rescue/shelter.

She realizes that's really specific criteria, and is fine waiting for the right dog to come along but any other places to search would be nice.

Any ideas?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Pax, Jan 9 10:48 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Anyway of Finding Out Microchip Information?

Duke

Don't let the- fluff fool you.

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 8:08pm PST 
Fritz,

We followed your advice and had the vet scan for a chip, figured out the company and contacted them. Duke was still registered to his shelter, so we sent in everything to prove ownership and it's all fixed now.

Thank you so much for all of your help!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Duke, Dec 27 8:08 pm

Behavior & Training > Reinforcing/Rewarding/Stopping Behaviors In a Daycare Setting

Cairo

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 4:14pm PST 
I currently work at a dog daycare/kennel and we have a lot of "problem" dogs. Ankle biters(large ones, like a rottie), hand biters, really rough players, excessive barkers(for attention). It gets really frustrating sometimes, especially when there are multiple bad behaviors in one yard putting other better behaved dogs at risk of someone irritating someone else and starting a fight. Most daycares don't put up with this kind of stuff...but as I'm not in a position to change what dogs are accepted all I can do is try and manage them.

Basically, I'm wondering if there is a way to reinforce good behaviors in a distracting environment where I can't give treats.

Right now, I ignore the attention seekers and make them do something for me(a good sit) before I'll pet them, and I do something similar with the biters(I make them hold still before I touch them and if they go to nibble I ignore them until they're calm again). I'm not quite sure how to handle the rough players though as my own dogs rarely play roughly, but know "leave it" well enough to stop if things get a little crazy. Franchise rules are to put the "bad" dogs in a "time out"...but the effectiveness of that is arguable.

There's also the fact that the vast majority of my coworkers know nothing about dog behavior and are probably just making things worse. (they honestly wonder why I have such calm yards usually and no fights). I realize that without consistency most dogs don't learn things, but I have had minor successes with a few(they know not to jump on me, chew on me, or to come when I call them but they don't behave that way with anyone else).

Any ideas?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Cairo, Dec 31 8:26 am

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Experiences With Natural Flea/Tick Repellants
Cairo

Barked: Mon Nov 11, '13 9:15am PST 
As a vegan and an Environmental Studies major I have a tendency to avoid chemicals as much as possible. For whatever reason, it just now occurred to me that I can do the same with my dogs.

Has anyone tried any kind of topical essential oil repellent/killer or the Brewer's Yeast/Garlic tablets? How well do they work?

I live in Florida, so fleas and ticks are pretty common, so while I want to get away from using K9 Advantix and similar products...I also don't want to put my dogs at risk of diseases from fleas or ticks.

Any stories/advice would be very much appreciated! =)
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Cairo, Nov 11 9:15 am

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.