Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Kali is very sick :(
Rocky *CGC*- With the- angels.

Gone but never,- ever forgotten- xxx

Barked: Tue Oct 14, '14 6:48am PST 
Oh no frown Fingers crossed you find some answers and all turns out well hug
[notify]
» There has since been 34 posts. Last posting by Willow, Thu 8:25 pm

Behavior & Training > Is there another dog forum we can ALL move to?

Barked: Fri Jan 17, '14 3:33am PST 
Gosh, this is crazy... I'm not on here much anymore but I will never forget the support I received during Rocky's illness and after he went to Rainbow Bridge...

I'm a lurker more than anything these days but if another forum is set up, let me know.
[notify]
» There has since been 534 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Feb 19 10:27 pm

Raw Food Diet > Chicken question....

Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 3:01pm PST 
Thanks Onyx, yeah I realised what I had wrote sounded a bit silly...

One of the 'raw chat' groups on Facebook just knocked my confidence... I thought holding a chicken neck and wing as he chewed and learned to chew properly, was a good idea but they shot me down in flames about feeding such things and especially holding it... They seem to think a dog being aggressive around food is okay and you should leave them to eat in peace. I don't hassle my dogs when they're eating but I like to think, for safety reasons, I can pick their food up without being attacked!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Ember FDX, Jun 16 7:46 pm

Raw Food Diet > First raw poop!!!

Dexter *CGC- silver*

If it moves - Herd it!

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 2:38pm PST 
Lol, I started to panic today as Skip hasn't 'been' yet... But I realised that it's rather normal... Either that, or he's pooped under my bed and I can't smell it big laugh
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Dexter *CGC silver*, Jun 14 2:38 pm

Raw Food Diet > Chicken question....

Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 2:17pm PST 
Hi guys,

So I started feeding raw a couple of days ago and my supplier suggested chicken necks and wings to get Skip used to chewing bone, he also said to hold the bone so he didn't swallow it whole...

Skip, at the minute, weighs 6.3kgs and is nearly six months old...

However, I've just been told that he shouldn't be getting wings or necks as they're too small cry

Is it possible to cut the necks in to smaller pieces so he can chew them without the worry of him swallowing them whole?

Being a raw newbie, I do tend to panic and would really appreciate any help and advice.

Thanks x
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Ember FDX, Jun 16 7:46 pm

Raw Food Diet > First raw poop!!!
Dexter *CGC- silver*

If it moves - Herd it!

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 11:49am PST 
Hi guys puppy

So, I've finally switched Skip and Dexter to the raw diet...

I'm loving the poop lol! The smell used to almost knock me out before and I really hated poop scooping the garden... However, after a whole 48 hours of the raw diet, I've found myself waiting for them to poop so I can examine it shh

It's a little bigger than rabbit poop, round, solid and doesn't smell at all big grin

I'm one happy doggie owner!!!

I never thought I'd be so obsessed with my boy's bowel movements lol... The funny yellow-y colour is a bit strange but I've heard that's normal with chicken...

LOVING the raw diet and could kick myself for not switching sooner!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Dexter *CGC silver*, Jun 14 2:38 pm

Puppy Place > New Puppy Blues

Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Wed Jun 5, '13 2:32am PST 
You were a lot like I was a couple of months ago...

My older dog, Rocky was put to sleep at the end if October last year, leaving me with a huge hole in my heart and my other dog, Dexter, very lonely...

I brought Skip home at the beginning of March and he was a handful! I got Ricky when he was 1/2 years old (the rescue was rather vague) and he was 11 when I rescued Dexter... Dexter was one years old when I brought him home. So having a puppy in the house was tough! Like you, I kept thinking to myself, 'Rocky didn't do that', 'Rocky was never like that'... And feeling very down about it.

After a while though, I realised it wasn't fair on Skip to keep comparing them both. They were two different dogs. Not to mention, completely different breeds!

I started to focus on what Skip was good at. What he did that made me laugh and focused my energy on teaching him to become as well mannered as Rocky and Dexter (still a work in progress)...

Good luck, keep your chin up and know that you are definitely not alone hug
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Jax (earned her wings 5/30/12), Jun 6 3:46 am

Behavior & Training > Link bit my dad.

Dexter *CGC- silver*

If it moves - Herd it!

Barked: Mon May 27, '13 8:58am PST 
Dexter is fear aggressive.

At first, it was always people he didn't know mixed in with his herding instincts. The first time I witnessed him bite a person was when I went outside my house to welcome my friends who had just arrived, we were in a group and my neighbour walked passed just as Dexter ran out of the house. He obviously saw this person 'outside of the group' and nipped her leg. It didn't require stitches but tore through her jeans ( I had to buy her new jeans and a bunch of flowers, just to sweeten her up). She was fine and explained that she has owned a few BCs in her time. We actually talk more now than we did before the incident BOL and Dexter never held a grudge. It was embarrassing in front of my friends though confused

The second time was when guests arrived at my house. It was dark and Dexter couldn't really see them. He darted barking and one of my friends bent down to stroke him and tell him it was okay. Before I could tell him that was a bad idea, Dexter lunged. It was that moment when I realised his biting incident before was not a one off and I had to take action.

I started with a crate. Created a safe place for him. I taught him that when the doorbell goes, he gets a chew and has to go to his crate. He eventually started to do it on his own. I also told everyone entering my house that they have to completely ignore Dexter until he becomes more comfortable and approaches the visitor, which doesn't take long. I also have a box of tennis balls next to me sofa so that when Dexter does approach, he receives his favourite thing...

I think your main issue though, is educating your dad. We've all told you how neurotic and sensitive BCs are, so that's something you're equipped for puppy But cornering a scared dog and then hitting him for biting, is never going to solve the problem, only worsen it.

My dad, like yours is very old fashioned in his dog training.

When I first brought Skip home, my mum and dad came round to visit and meet the puppy. When Skip had an accident on the carpet, my dad couldn't understand why I just ignored the puppy and cleaned it up without rubbing his nose in it. But he was still extremely receptive when I sat down and explained to him why rubbing a pups nose in his toilet is not a good idea. Through having Rocky, Dexter and now Skip, my dad has learned a lot and is actually totally changed in his training beliefs.

A trainer coming in to your house is a great idea. Fortunately, I live on my own so managed to train my dogs without conflict of beliefs and training techniques.

hug and good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Augusta, CGC, RN, May 28 12:24 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Herding Breeds and Neurosis?

Dexter *CGC- silver*

If it moves - Herd it!

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 12:13pm PST 
You know, if I got £1 for every time someone told me Dexter was beautiful, I'd be a rich girl!

I used to think, "really, he's leggy, scrawny and just plain silly". laugh out loud But now I do see that he is a nice looking dog... Being from working lines, he's taller than any other BC I've ever met, his ears are pointed, he constantly looks like I starve him and is usually covered in paint (he loves to sit against the wall, right beside me whilst I'm painting)... He does, however, have the most gorgeous shiny coat BOL.
A lot of people have asked me if he's crossed with GSD, because of his size and ears but he has waaaay to much BC traits to be GSD. To me he doesn't look like a GSD but I suppose to not-so-educated doggy people, he looks so different to the BCs they're so used to seeing. I usually have to tell them the whole 'he's from working lines, and therefore look different' speech laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Sadie, May 29 11:32 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Suspicious Breeder Has an "I am A Responsible Breeder" Article on Dogster Mag

Barked: Thu May 23, '13 12:03pm PST 
Sadie, I read that article shock Just awful!

I commented too... Most people have picked him up on it though, which is good.

Such a shame.
[notify]
» There has since been 36 posts. Last posting by Delta, Sep 5 4:48 pm

(Page 1 of 61: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.