Postings by Geisel's Family

GO!

Choosing the Right Dog > What Am I?

Lemon Sweets

Barked: Sun Oct 27, '13 10:37am PST 
Thanks guys! I was leaning towards Brittany myself, but the ones I've seen were always orange. I always pictured Springer with the brown and white. He's very rotten, but yes, ridiculously cute. I'll have to look into an activity for him to keep him busy!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Isabelle the Great, Oct 28 8:45 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > What Am I?
Lemon Sweets

Barked: Sat Oct 26, '13 10:32am PST 
A couple months ago at an adoption event I met little Sweets here! He was apparently pulled from North Carolina (I think, or somewhere down south), and brought up north to be adopted by a loving person. Fortunately (or unfortunately~) for him, I was immediately smitten, and despite my vehement desire to never own a sporting dog (I like my dogs lazy~), I brought him home.

Sweet, stubborn (the most bull-headed puppy I've ever met) and crazily energetic, he has nevertheless fit in pretty well with the rest of my pack, and his gentle disposition can win over the most grumpy individual.

My question though is, what is he? His paperwork just has him as a "Spaniel", which is a pretty broad term. Obviously he's not a Cocker or a Cavalier, but everyone who meets him seems divided on whether he's a Springer or a Brittany. Honestly I don't know the breeds well enough to tell the difference, but I don't think he's fluffy enough to be a Springer- no leg feathering either...

So I shall defer to the guidance of people who know better than I! What do you guys think he is?
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Isabelle the Great, Oct 28 8:45 pm

Behavior & Training > Dog Displaying Aggression Towards Packmates When Outside?

Geisel

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 5:26pm PST 
I guess Geisel and I are going to have to start a running regimen to help him burn off some of that excess energy! I should have realized that, we had dogs at the shelter that had to be run in the play yards before volunteers even tried to get them to walk on a leash! So I'll try running him tired before even attempting to integrate the other dogs into the mix, and snapping is okay, but intervene before they get too irritated with him! Got it!

Sorry for the confusion on the intervention matter~

Charlie if he really is trying to herd, well then I would pity any sheep he was put in charge of!~ He just runs right up to the dogs and I swear it sounds like a full blown dog fight with all the vocalizing he does, only he's not being aggressive, he just SOUNDS like it. He's always been a really vocal player (his barking is enough to drive you insaaaane, thankfully we have no neighbors), but it's magnified x1000 when he's outside. It really does seem like he's just SO excited about being in the yard with the other dogs that he simply can't contain it and just BURSTS!

And the other dogs are just like, what in the heck is wrong with you!?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Geisel, Feb 11 5:26 pm

Geisel

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 3:48pm PST 
Oh wow! Here I thought I was doing right by them by letting them solve issues on their own... So you're saying it's better to intervene BEFORE someone has to snap? That's really interesting... the dog training world is full of so many different opinions and methods it's hard to know what to follow sometimes... Geisel is the only one that gets snapped at: Bosco (my old man) and Baby Girl both try to let him know when they're done playing and Geisel never takes the hint, I always thought that I should let them tell him, but I'll do what I can about intercepting before it gets to that point. The only dog he seems to respect is little Ruff if you can believe it! I don't know if it's just because he knows he won't take his crap? But he never tries to pull stuff on him that he does to the other two dogs...

I knew that aggression was the wrong word... you can definitely see the Border Collie when in him once he's outside; the dog NEVER stops! He's by far the most energetic and most "stubborn" dog I've ever had... took FOREVER to housebreak (still has accidents) and I swear everything goes in one ear and out the other. He's not so good on the "leave it", but the other 3 are, I think I need to go back to basics with him to get him to focus on me and not become so fixated on the other dogs. Because he definitely becomes fixated, completely ignores me and the world around him and gets that thousand yard stare going...

I also wondered if just running him tired before letting the other dogs out would help? I know he's young and with his breeds he's just a solid block of energy, so I want to do everything possible to help him. The other dogs like him and want to play with him, but you're right, he's a bully and I honestly don't know where that comes from! He's seriously the wimpiest dog, and yet take him out in the yard and he thinks he's all tough.

I'll look into the long line as well, I hate having to leash any of them, but until he can act like a gentleman it'll have to work.

Thank you so much for your reply! I've never had a dog with "split personalities" before now, so his behavior completely baffled me! Especially considering he is SO gentle with my special needs cat... like, it's his best friend... carries him around and such, so I know he's not aggressive... just a brat~
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Geisel, Feb 11 5:26 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > The PitBull Discussion

Ruff

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '13 3:19pm PST 
I certainly don't support banning of ANY breed, but I think that it's important that certain breeds only wind up in skilled hands (a pittie is certainly not the dog for everyone), which is unfortunately not the case with out beloved pitties. I've owned two pit bulls, one DA and one not, both at the same time which lead to 13 years of crate and rotate, not a situation that I would get into again willingly. The DA pit bull has since passed away, leaving 13 year old softie Bosco who gets along just fine with a Chi, Yorkie x and a Shelter Special. But I know he is often the exception, not the rule; one of the shelters I worked at had to pair dogs in the kennels, and the pit bulls always gave us a hard time, especially considering that most of them were not sterilized. It's an unfortunate fact that many pits are DA and it's doing the breed a disservice to ignore that fact; I love pits bulls (worked in animal shelters and dealt with many), but I understand and accept their tendency towards both DA and high prey drive. I also would never put my pit bull in a dog park... I agree with the above poster, your pit bull may not start a fight, but it will be your dog that's to blame if something happens. When we got Bosco 13 years ago, my mother was a huge advocate of protecting him from himself; I would never willingly put him in a position that had the possibility to reflect poorly on him or his breed, the breed really doesn't need that.

Now speaking in defense of people picking up their little dogs, there's a possibility that they're doing it to protect your dog. In my case, my Chi is a rescue and suffers from chronic little-dog syndrome, and so has a problem with large dogs coming up to him and getting too close, I often intervene before he has a chance to do anything stupid because I don't want the other person's dog to react. In this case my dog would start it and I wouldn't want anything to happen because of it, either to him or the other dog. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Every breed is stereotyped in one way or another (my mother has a devout hatred of Chows, I fostered one and she was terrified of it, despite having no bad experiences) but I wouldn't let it get you down too much. Instead use the opportunity to educate people and be a strong positive advocate of the breed, which is seems like you are already doing! So good on you!~
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Mika, Feb 13 8:27 pm

Geisel

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '13 10:25pm PST 
Alright, so I'm loathe to label what my dog is doing as "aggression", but honestly I can't think of any other word to describe it? I think he might be trying to play but is a bit insane... Anyways, let me explain the home situation! I have four dogs!

Bosco- 13.5 y.o male neutered APBT. (had his whole life)
Ruff- 6 y.o. male neutered Chihuahua. (rescued, only had about 6 months)
Geisel- 1 y.o. male neutered shelter special. (rescued, but fostered since 5 weeks old)
Baby Girl- 3 y.o. female spayed Yorkie mix. (rescued, only had about 3 months)

Now all of these dogs usually get along just fine, they have a few minor disputes but I tend to let them work it out on their own, and they have their own little hierarchy which seems to suit them just fine. Geisel is obviously the youngest and still quite "crazy" and often has to be corrected by the other dogs when he's getting to be a bit too much. Now this works all fine and dandy when they're indoors, it's when it's time to go outside to the bathroom that the troubles start...

I live on a large farm, my driveway is 1/3 mile away from the road, and we have no neighbors. Our yard isn't fenced, it's just backed up to fields and all the dogs know the perimeter of the yard. They're also never let outside unsupervised to ensure that no one gets an interesting whiff and starts wandering off.

Three of the dogs do perfectly well outside, but toss Geisel in the mix and all heck breaks loose...

He suddenly becomes an entirely different dog, growling, barking and all but attacking poor Bosco and Baby Girl, who do everything in their power to get away from him. Bosco has even resorted to physically holding Geisel down with his chest to get him to stop! Now I don't think he's being aggressive, but he's VERY vocal, and acts in a manner that he never does when he's indoors, lunging and biting. I'm afraid that his actions will start a fight between him and Bosco, and poor Baby Girl is only about 10lbs, so she just hides under the car! The only dog he will not act like that towards is Ruff, and because of that he's now the only one who can have potty breaks with Geisel.

We've tried leashing him when out with the other dogs, but he barks at the other dogs hysterically and refuses to go to the bathroom, not to mention that Bosco uses it as an opportunity for revenge and will actually mow him down. Geisel is a dog that is terrified of his own shadow, who leapt into my arms at the dog park to get away from a friendly Springer, and yet suddenly becomes Cujo when out in the yard with his own family members.

We're simply baffled as to the cause of this behavior and if there is any way to solve it? I mean, we don't mind letting the dogs out in shifts, but it'd be nicer if they could all play together without Geisel suddenly trying to kill the other dogs...

I don't know if it helps, but Geisel was DNA tested and came back as mostly Cairn Terrier, Siberian Husky and Border Collie (16,43% Dogo Argentino, 12.60% Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, 12.59% Sussex Spaniel, 7.70% Harrier, and 6.78% Clumber Spaniel). He also has a plethora of toys, a kitty best friend (he's more gentle with the cat than the other dogs!), and allowed to run around to his heart's content.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Geisel, Feb 11 5:26 pm

Behavior & Training > Owning multiple potentially DA breeds

Ruff

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 9:38pm PST 
We did crate and rotate for 13 years, and it is not something that I would wish on anyone. It was difficult, it was stressful, and like an above poster said, I don't think the average dog owner would be willing to go through with it. But we made promises to our dogs and were definitely not getting rid of either of them. Two male neutered ABPTs, one from known parents, the other a rescue, and both got along famously... until they didn't anymore. Bloody, savage fighting where they were seriously trying to kill each other. It was a risk we took having two male APBTs, and so when the seemingly inevitable happened, they were both our responsibility, so we rose to the occasion.

Recently one of them had to be euthanized, and we took the chance introducing new dogs into our home. The remaining APBT has proven to be amazingly tolerant of other animals, to the point where we are constantly shocked with what he puts up with. He went from trying to kill his "brother", to snuggling and playing with a 1 year old Border Collie mix (male neuter), a 6 year old Chihuahua (male neuter) and a Maltese mix (female spay). Having been burned before, none of them are left out alone together and are constantly supervised, but it makes us wonder if his brother was the instigator all along?

Having gone through 13 years of what we did, I don't think that I would knowingly own another DA breed. I loved both my boys, but it was far too stressful.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Feb 1 8:11 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.