Postings by PE's Autumn On Fire's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Dog Health > Pins and Needles!!!
PE's Autumn- On Fire

Oodles of- Poodles

Barked: Mon Jul 21, '14 6:53am PST 
Aaah. My dog Auti was due to have her pups this weekend... I bred her three days so she would have been due Saturday, Sunday, or today. She is now 63 days from the last day I bred her, and is showing no signs of labor... Temp is normal, and she's sleeping soundly. I'm going crazy waiting! Last year I bred her two days in a row, she had a temp drop below 100 F the night before, and had her pups the next morning, exactly 63 days from the first time I bred her, 8 healthy babies. I may just be impatient, but I took the day off work today hoping to spend it with mom and babies.... If she has them tomorrow while I'm at work I'll just be sick... My hubby will be home but he has no experience whelping pups! The only things I noticed about her is she is she has milk, she has clear discharge, and the puppies have been very active, I don't even have to put my hand on her belly, I can just look at her stomach and see them moving.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kali, Jul 21 11:03 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Recommend me a dog?
PE's Autumn- On Fire

Oodles of- Poodles

Barked: Sun Mar 16, '14 9:22am PST 
Blue Heelers are smart, active dogs that love to work and learn new things. They are normally the kind of dog that chooses a favorite person in the family and sticks by their side. They do shed, but need minimal grooming. The only thing I would watch out for is to make sure you train it to leave the chickens be, or it might pester or even hunt them. If you are looking for a dog that you could learn a little more grooming with, a Standard Poodle is an awesome all around dog, and you can clip it down the same length all over for an easy haircut that is wear and tear. Standards are awesome hunting dogs, love to swim/ dock jump, are super smart and make great agility and obedience dogs. They are good around other animals, I've seen them used for herding as well. They know how to turn their playfulness on and off. They can go from running around chasing a ball or frisbee to cuddling on the couch in no time flat. They are super loyal to their owners, make good guard dogs, and they don't shed, so letting them on the furniture and couch to cuddle is no sweat. I may be a little biased, but I've done my research on Standards since I got my first 2 years ago and I'm telling you there is nothing they can't do!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by PE's Autumn On Fire, Mar 16 9:22 am

Standard Poodle > Hello From California

PE's Autumn- On Fire

Oodles of- Poodles

Barked: Mon Mar 10, '14 6:16pm PST 
Hi! I'm glad you posted this, I love talking Poodles! I have tons of info for you. A little history... Standard Poodles originated in Germany (not France like everyone thinks) as water retrieving dogs. Their name Poodle originated from the German word "pudel" which means to splash in water. Standard Poodles are the oldest of the three types of Poodles (Standard, Miniature, Toy). Although they are not considered "show quality" by the AKC, the parti colored (multi-colored) Poodle was the original color, and were bred into solid colors later on. Parti colored Poodles are still registrable with AKC, just not accepted in conformation classes because of their coloring due to a fad in the early 1900's making the solids the popular color. Standards dense curly coat was originally used to protect their bodies in the icy waters where they would hunt and retrieve fowl (ducks, geese). The continental clip that you see on most show Poodles was actually purposed for their hunting background, the bracelets on their ankles and rosettes on their hips were to keep their joints warm in the cold waters, their hair jacket was to protect their vital organs, and the pom on their tail was to help with buoyancy and balance while swimming, while the rest of their body was clipped short to help them cut through the water faster. Poodles have a ton more talents than just hunting and being gorgeous show dogs... they are the ultimate all around dog! They are used in every dog discipline imaginable because they are so smart and willing to learn. They can be awesome agility dogs, dock jumpers, obedience competitors, they've done lure coursing (like in greyhound races), they are outstanding therapy dogs, service dogs, I've seen Standard hooked up to small sulkies and pulling people around, a team of Standards have even competed in the Iditarod sled dog race against Huskies! They are great family dogs, are wonderful around children and the elderly, and are AWESOME guard dogs. I've even seen Standards used in heelwork (advanced off leash training) and bitework (advanced protection training where the dog is trained to attack, pursue, or bark at a potentially dangerous person on command). Plus there's the added advantage that you will have no shedding in your house! Whoever got you a Poodle was a smart buyer! Now for some basic care info... Standards can be prone to allergies, I recommend a hypo-allergenic diet. Some options are Blue Buffalo, Taste of the Wild, Wellness, and I feed my Standard Fromm. Corn is an absolute no no in ingredients... any meat bi-product is a red flag... and just because I like to be safe, I feed my dog the grain-free type food, which has no wheat or grains in it at all. These food may be a little more expensive... but they make up for it by saving you in vet bills... skin allergies, itchiness, ear infections... all signs of food allergies. Poodles are sleek, streamlined dogs and can become overweight easily... their bellies should be tucked up and you should be able to slightly feel ribs but not see them, and the hip bone can be slightly seen. Poodles need to be groomed every six to eight weeks depending on how long you like the hair left... and need to be brushed and combed out between groomings on a regular basis if you like the coat longer. Some health problems to watch out for... the #1 is bloat! Bloat is a blockage in the digestive system that causes extreme pain and can cause death if not treated immediately... dogs built like Standards are especially proned to this because their stomachs are not directly attached to anything and can be easily flipped. If your dog acts lethargic, its belly bloats out, and it has problems going to the bathroom take it to the vet immediately this is an emergency situation. Keeping your dog quiet, like putting him in a crate, for at least 1 hour after he eats can help prevent the possibility of bloat. Other than that... if you are planning to show, getting your dogs hips checked by OFA (Orthopedic Foundation for Animals) can rule out hip dysplasia which is common in larger breeds, getting tested for eye disease, cardiac disease, and thyroid problems is something I would suggest. If you go to your vet for these tests, they can get very expensive, I would suggest looking up your local dog shows, a lot of times they run clinics at the shows where you can get your dog tested for these things for much cheaper than the vet. These OFA tests cannot be run until the dog turns two though, to ensure that its' bones and such have fully developed. These are just suggested tests if you plan to show your dog, but if you plan to breed, I would highly recommend these tests as many breeders don't consider you a "responsible breeder" unless you get them done. Alright... I think I'm done... if you have any other questions I haven't covered feel free to ask! I haven't yet done any showing, but I have looked into it in depth because I too am interested in showing in the near future. Congrats on your new puppy, and good luck, you've already started out great by picking a Standard! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by PE's Autumn On Fire, Mar 10 6:16 pm

Standard Poodle > Welcoming new puppy

PE's Autumn- On Fire

Oodles of- Poodles

Barked: Mon Mar 10, '14 5:25pm PST 
Hello! I have an idea for you that I got from one of the customers at the grooming shop I work at. She fosters off track greyhounds, and recently her foster dog was adopted by a woman who has a cat. She had to keep her greyhound on a harness at first meeting with the cat, and if he looked at the cat she had to poke him in the shoulder to get his attention off the cat. They did this every time the dog looked at the cat until he began to ignore the cat. My Standard has a pretty strong prey drive as well, but I dogsit for several friends who have toy breeds and as long as I am firm with her right off the bat, she gets to the point of just ignoring them. Hope this helps!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by PE's Autumn On Fire, Mar 10 5:25 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Maybe a shepherd isn't a great idea....

PE's Autumn- On Fire

Oodles of- Poodles

Barked: Fri Jan 17, '14 4:57pm PST 
OK I've seen that before... pretty cool stuff. Thx for clarification didn't know that's what it was called.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jan 19 4:21 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Maybe a shepherd isn't a great idea....
PE's Autumn- On Fire

Oodles of- Poodles

Barked: Fri Jan 17, '14 4:24pm PST 
Ok... what exactly is "bitework"?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jan 19 4:21 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > AKC Registration!

PE's Autumn- On Fire

Oodles of- Poodles

Barked: Fri Jan 17, '14 4:21pm PST 
Normally I wouldn't be about Continental reg either, but it is something for the owners to take home, and my girl is CLEARLY a purebred... plus I have a copy of her dad's AKC papers. Unfortunately people just have to trust me about the mom if they don't see my dog for themselves... I saw her when I went to get my girl but she got hit by a tractor shortly after and the lady I got my girl from doesn't have any pics of the mom.cry
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Addy, CGC, Jan 17 7:11 pm

Behavior & Training > Is there another dog forum we can ALL move to?

PE's Autumn- On Fire

Oodles of- Poodles

Barked: Fri Jan 17, '14 4:08pm PST 
I guess I missed it... what did the media say or did we do to make the forum get shut down... how does a forum even GET shut down?? I'm confused...
[notify]
» There has since been 501 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Feb 19 10:27 pm

Small Dogs > can somone help me with the breed of my dog?

PE's Autumn- On Fire

Oodles of- Poodles

Barked: Thu Jan 16, '14 11:51am PST 
It looks like it could have Valhund in it... also a terrier of some type. You can get DNA tests for mixed breed dogs at Petsmart and send them in to get the percentage of purebreds she has in her. Would be worth a try smile
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Mar 9 5:37 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Beagle needs a good home!
PE's Autumn- On Fire

Oodles of- Poodles

Barked: Wed Jan 15, '14 5:36pm PST 
My boyfriend's mother is going through a breakup and has to move out of the house she's lived in for 12 years. She has a Collie mix and a Beagle. She's had the Collie his whole life, he's about ten now, and the Beagle she found as a stray a couple of years ago and brought him home. She can't bare to part with her Collie who she's raised from a puppy, and can only afford one pet fee where she's moving, so is looking for a home for the Beagle. His name is Jack, he is a neutered male, approx 4-5 years old. He gets along great with other dogs and very rarely barks (I know it's strange for a Beagle). She is looking for a home where he will live indoors, and he will need to be on a leash or have a fenced in yard outside or he will run away as Beagles tend to do. He is pretty active, so a home with older or no children is preferable, I could see him unintentionally knocking a small child over. He is a little overweight, when she got him he was very skinny and she has gotten into the bad habit of feeding him table scraps. He is up to date on all shots, located in Findlay, Ohio. If anyone is interested, you can email me @ lunarec1ipse03@aol.com . He is a very loving boy so hopefully the right home will come along!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by PE's Autumn On Fire, Jan 15 5:36 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.