Postings by Uma's Family

GO!

Dog Health > Looking for positive stories after Mast Cell Tumor removal.

Uma

Leader of the- Pack

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 11:37pm PST 
It's a good idea to check your dog regularly for lumps. Many dogs with mast cell tumors will have vomiting episodes. Anytime you see a skin abnormality, have it checked by a vet. It's not cheap, but having a dog isn't cheap. If you find out your dog has a tumor, always ask the grade and stage.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Dec 5 2:01 am

Dog Health > SNORING!! Is there a cure?
Uma

Leader of the- Pack

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 11:26pm PST 
It would be smart to get your dog to the vet. Also, sleeping in a round bed can actually help a dog with snoring. Sometimes snoring is caused by allergies. Make sure your girl is getting daily exercise. Don't ever let your dog around smoke.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Dec 5 2:23 am

Dog Health > Does anyone know what this condition affecting my dog's back legs is called?

Uma

Leader of the- Pack

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 10:23pm PST 
Don't give aspirin. It's too hard on a dog's stomach. If you think your dog needs pain relief, go to the vet. I think limping is probably the most common reason people visit the vet. Hopefully, it's something simple. It may resolve itself in a week or so. He may get better without a vet. I'm thinking he could have just strained it. Have you checked his paws for thorns? If his limping doesn't get better, go to the vet. I wouldn't wait more than a week. The exam is really simple. Your vet will examine his entire body. There are quite a few common causes of limping. There are also tons of uncommon causes, as well. One of his joints may be causing him pain. You need to figure out which joint it is. Have you noticed any swelling? A dog's pain tolerance varies from individual. He might have overflexed his joint and caused it to become painful.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Dec 7 5:32 am

Dog Health > Frontline Ineffective?

Uma

Leader of the- Pack

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 10:10pm PST 
I've had the same problem. I've been using it for 8 years, too. I actually contacted them about this problem. They would not honor their guarentee. The only way they would is if I used it for three months and there were still fleas, which I refused to do to my dogs. I now use Advantage. I actually filed a complaint against Frontline. Not only with the BBB, but with my state's attorney general. I refuse to buy anything made by Merial. I will not do business with them. This means I don't use HeartGuard either. I now use Interceptor. My dogs had never had fleas until Frontline failed to work. It was horrible! I was traveling and there was no way I could ask anybody to look after my dogs with them being infested with fleas. So, I had to cancel our vacation. Merial couldn't care less about that either!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 5 1:34 am

Dog Health > Epitheliotropic Lymphoma

Uma

Leader of the- Pack

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 9:59pm PST 
All I really know about treatment is that it can be treated with steroids. Also, it is diagnosed through a skin biopsy.
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by , Aug 29 12:15 pm

Dog Health > Looks like Bunny will be going in for his rabies shots ASAP
Uma

Leader of the- Pack

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 9:50pm PST 
I worry so much about vaccine reactions. It scares me. See if your state will offer medication exemptions. I think that dogs with certain health problems shouldn't be required to receive the rabies vaccine. Just be safe! Get a record of your dog's veterinary file after each vaccine. When your dog is due for her next rabies vaccine, ask for an exemption. It's a good idea to research vaccination before you actually commit to any vaccine. Do you know the laws in your state? Do you know if your state offers medical exemptions? I think dogs are vaccinated against rabies way too much. Every 1-3 years is just too much! I think every 5-7 years would be much better. Research has shown that this is how long the vaccine actually last. Some research shows that the vaccine can actually last for the dog's lifetime!
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by Bunny, Dec 11 1:56 pm

Dog Health > Is it ok that i wake my babies up when they are dreaming?!

Uma

Leader of the- Pack

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 9:39pm PST 
Leave your dogs alone. There are different sleep periods. REM is the period when they are dreaming. It is also when their eyes move back and forth. Don't ever interrupt a dog's sleep cycle. It isn't good for them. The only time I will wake one of my dogs is if they are whining loudly. Uma gets nightmares and gets very scared. It's better to leave a dog alone if they are growling in their sleep. Sometimes Dustin does this and I put a dab of peanut butter on his nose to wake him up. Lonnie sometimes barks in his sleep. I try not to wake them unless they are being so loud that I cannot sleep. I can tell when Uma is having a nightmare, as her whining sounds like someone is trying to kill her. She gets super stressed out during these periods. All I do is pet her on the head and rub her back and she wakes up enough to calm down.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Dec 5 2:19 am

Dog Health > Curly rear dew claws

Uma

Leader of the- Pack

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 8:12pm PST 
It might be a good idea to have a groomer do them next time. I'm sure they would be more than happy to help you out. I just trimmed my friend's dog's dews yesterday, and they were very overgrown. I'm a mobile dog trainer, and I will clip nails for free for my friends and clients. Dewclaws are just a big pain! When I first got Uma from my mother, hers were overgrown. But, it would be a good idea to have a groomer trim them the next time. It only takes about two weeks for the dews to get really long. But, if they are curled, this means you have let them go for probably two months! I'm surprised you didn't catch this earlier. The groomer is your best bet. Your dog is shorthaired, so it should be easy to see if the dews are getting long. If you take your pup in twice a month to get them cut, this should keep them looking great.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 5 2:38 am

Dog Health > My dog has lots of Smegma and he keeps licking his groin

Uma

Leader of the- Pack

Barked: Sun Dec 2, '12 7:58pm PST 
Poor guy! It sounds like a sheath infection. Some smegma is normal in males. Intact males have more than neutered males. Large amounts is cause for concern. Humping objects can cause infection. Have the vet check him out. It sounds like his sheath is very irritated. I'm sure he is very sore. You need to watch him when he urinates. Keep an eye on the area, too. Let him lick himself. He is cleaning himself. Excessive cleaning is a sign that he has an infection. I know it's gross to watch, but just walk out of the room. Give him an overrall check. Smegma is so gross! Some of it is okay. It's even natural. But, the amount you are describing doesn't sound normal. Male dogs that often "show their lipstick" don't usually get infections. It kind of cleans the area. Urine itself will act as a natural antibiotic.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Bianca, Dec 6 7:09 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.