Postings by Bear's Family

GO!

Dog Health > What do I do to help this neglected animal? A little long.. but please help!

Bear

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 4:39pm PST 
I don't go over there as often as my boyfriend does, I don't know how to stress the importance of this dog's health to the owner without offending her. I was considering offering to pay to have her groomed.. I have a 13 year old dog and when he starts feeling down a haircut always makes him giddy!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Feb 15 11:42 am

Dog Health > What do I do to help this neglected animal? A little long.. but please help!
Bear

Barked: Thu Feb 14, '13 2:41pm PST 
My boyfriend's closest friend lives with his mother and his younger brother. They are in a very bad financial situation first off.. they have 3 dogs and buying dog food for them is a huge struggle.

One of their dogs is Samantha, a 13 year old golden retriever. I first met this dog 5 years ago, and she was a happy, healthy, active dog. The last year has been rough on her though and I didnt realize it until recently. Today we went over there and I started to notice some things:

She is soooo skinny! They claim she eats normally but I just don't believe it. I kind of walked around the house to see what ammenities were out for the dogs.. I saw one food bowl and one water dish for all three dogs, the water dish was caked in grime. I looked at her teeth and gums.. nothing seems to be stopping her from being able to eat. I'm wondering if maybe the younger, more aggressive dog is hogging the food?

Her breathing is stressed when she's laying down. Like every inhale and exhale is a huge struggle. I also noticed little spots of yellow goopy stuff all over the house that clearly came from a dog.. but I can't tell which end! It's very dischargy. It reminded me of my dog's diarrhea when he had pancreatitis.

I would imagine she's never been groomed or even brushed for that matter. There are huge mats all over her and her skin is dry and flakey.. there are some parts on her elbows that I can't tell if its dry skin or matted hair!

I have to do something for her, whenever I pointed these things out to the owner she just didn't seem concerned. She said she's fine.. I was thinking do you not see the look in her eyes?! She's trying to tell you something!!

My question is what is the best thing for me to do at this point? I understand she may only have 1-2 years left but is that any reason to let her quality of life slip? I don't think so..
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie", Feb 15 11:42 am

Dog Health > Old age or symptoms of something more serious?

Bear

Barked: Sat Nov 3, '12 9:41pm PST 
I've started to notice some strange things in our soon to be 13 year old miniature poodle, I'm not sure whether it's his old age or something that needs medical attention.

He's starting to lose a pretty decent amount of hair on his back and the hair that remains is mostly grey. I wouldn't worry about hair loss except for the fact that I'm starting to see a lot of skin which worries me!

The hair loss is only on his back though.. the hair on his neck, head, chest, legs and stomach is still shiny black and thick. He loves loves loves salmon so he eats it pretty regularly, as well as hard boiled eggs a couple times a week and takes multiple supplements, including a coat and skin supplement. His skin doesn't seem flakey or dry.. just lots and lots of hair loss!

Another concern is that his little tummy just seems.. swollen? We recently lost a little bit of weight because he was looking a little pudgy.. but it's still a little swollen and just feels very full all the time.

Is there something I need to be doing that i'm missing? Or does he need to go to the vet? I feel like if i'm even questioning anything I should take him to the vet
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Kali, Nov 4 6:29 am

Behavior & Training > Trying to help 13 year old dog adapt to new home and new pets

Bear

Barked: Mon Oct 29, '12 1:47pm PST 
Hi! We are new to the forum and after searching through all of the posts I didn't see anything about this so I thought I would ask for some advice.

A little backstory- My boyfriend got Bear when he was a puppy in 1999. They lived in the same house until 2 years ago when my boyfriend moved in with a relative. Bear was left behind, and he became very mopey and depressed instead of the usual happy and playful. Once Bear moved back in with my boyfriend he was happy as can be, and only just within the past year did his hair start to turn grey and his health declined. Due to poor dental hygiene, he could no longer eat dry dog food so we fed him wet dog food obviously resulting in weight gain.

A month ago we moved into a new apartment and Bear had a very hard time adjusting the first week. He began to follow us into every room and stay right by our feet, make messes in the house and wouldnt eat. After the first week he began to adjust and was starting to get back to normal, still acting very clingy at times.

This is when things got rough for him, about a week and a half ago we took in two cats within two days of each other. One of them is a female cat that's a little under a year old, he actually lived with her in our old house so he likes her just fine. The problem is with the other cat, a four month old male we adopted. Bear has never lived with another male animal, so he's having some dominance issues. Lunging at the cat, acting irritated and bratty when he sees me hugging the cat, and they are having a territory war over evvverryything we own.

We don't know what to do for him, he will not respong to the same commands he used to, like if I would point at his bed he would go lay down.. now he just sits and stares at me. He started losing a lot of hair.. like you could see his skin in some spots. We changed his diet to all natural, he eats a lot of carrots and white salmon and it has significantly helped his hair loss and weight, but he is still so depressed no matter how healthy he is and how often we play or go outside.

My question is, will the dominance issues just have to be settled between the two males? Is there something I need to be doing? And how do I reteach him simple commands that he's been responding to for over a decade?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Cinnamon, Nov 10 8:56 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.