Postings by Pippi's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 33: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > My "poor" dogs...lol.
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Mon Apr 7, '14 5:00am PST 
You see, that's probably where I'm coming from Jackson Tan. I don't see walks as only ways to get from A to B or as training. To me, a walk is a pleasurable activity and their main source of stimulation outside of the home, since we don't have SAFE off-leash areas to run around in outside of my tiny backyard. They get play time at home with me and with each other, but that's not enough.

I can see where you're coming from with reactive dogs, but I have never had an issue with my reactive dog unless we come across the thing that he doesn't like (strange people, strange dogs). When that happens, I call him to heel until we pass it.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC, Apr 8 6:22 am

Calamity- Jane

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '14 10:32am PST 
Agreed Lupi. I guess that I do see the value in a structured walk, but for every walk? No thanks.

I do get annoyed that people allow their dogs to run wild and misbehave. There is a difference between allowing freedom and allowing them to run all over you and other people. If my dogs are misbehaving, I do bring them back over to me. I don't have a place that I can take my dogs off-leash, and honestly, I would probably just keep them on the long leash anyways so that I have a safe backup in case recall fails.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC, Apr 8 6:22 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Rescue dogs vs Breeder (rant)

Calamity- Jane

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '14 8:25am PST 
No kidding. I told my brother in passing that I was thinking about one day having a litter (champion Dalmatians) and my sister was like, "WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!?!"...because I love the breed and want to see a continuation of healthy, sound Dalmatian lines? I also dream about having a working line Border Collie or English Shepherd, and a possibly even a Kooikerhondje (which is rare in the USA, not found in shelters at all) at some point). I'm not even mentioning this to the rescue group that I'm working with. While one volunteer mentioned that she sees that good breeders have their place, someone else I know from there is actually on the "I hate dog breeders" FB page. I'm not even going there.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Caledonia, Apr 11 4:55 pm

Calamity- Jane

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '14 6:47am PST 
Eh, I'm not big on structured walks. Perhaps they have training benefits, I can see that, but it's just my opinion that the whole point of a walk is taken away when the dog isn't allowed to go out and interact with the world. I want my dogs to be good and tired at the end of it, and in a structured walk, I'll tire out long before they do. But, it's okay to disagree wink

I do apologize if I came off as a bit rude though. red face I know there are different schools of thought when it comes to training, and I don't mean to put down your viewpoints. I got rubbed the wrong way with this guy though, especially when he said he was sorry for my dogs. I'm 100% anti traditional dominance theory. It and the "beat it until it does what you want" sort of training are the only ones that I will call out. You can call me a "pack leader" or whatever you want because I control the resources and make the rules, but I'm not wrong because I don't "assert dominance" in ridiculous ways with my dogs 24/7.

I never think that my dogs are furry children. I know they're dogs, and I treat them like dogs. I don't let them get away with murder (at 70 lbs each, there's NO WAY that I could let even the littlest thing slide). I don't see how I'm wrong.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC, Apr 8 6:22 am

Calamity- Jane

Barked: Sat Apr 5, '14 4:36pm PST 
So, I was on another forum, and I ended up getting into this argument about dog walks. He's big on Cesar Milan type dominance theory, while I'm really not.

Anyways, he was talking about how his dog is always at a strict heel, never in front, no sniffing, no marking, no nothing except walking. Well, I don't agree with that. I think that walks are not just for exercise, but also they're a time for stimulation of the outside world. He goes on to say how he's sorry for my poor dogs...right, because my dogs actually get to go out and be a dog instead of a furry little robot. laugh out loud

He also blames my walking habits for Link's aggression issues. Because, you know, I'm not asserting dominance. Seriously. He also said that his dog can walk by other dogs no problem, while my calling my dogs to my side when I come across a strange dog or person is damaging. Because I have been attacked before and don't want to take chances. Sigh.
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC, Apr 8 6:22 am

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Don't know where to put this, but I'm scared to death right now.
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Fri Mar 7, '14 7:27am PST 
Unfortunately I don't. That would be a good idea, but all of my doggy friends don't know my dogs, and Link is so bad with strangers, I just don't feel comfortable with that. My sister can help take care of the dogs with my parents, but that's about it.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Mar 8 1:30 pm

Sports & Agility > Anyone watching Crufts?

Calamity- Jane

Barked: Fri Mar 7, '14 7:24am PST 
I watch it every year (or, I have since they started putting it on youtube). I'm most interested in the agility, flyball, and heelwork to music.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC, Mar 10 4:11 am

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Don't know where to put this, but I'm scared to death right now.

Calamity- Jane

Barked: Thu Mar 6, '14 1:40pm PST 
Thanks guys. The college that I'm considering isn't very close, however, I do trust my parents to keep the dogs' schedules. I just worry that something will happen and I won't be there to help. Though, I'm not so far that I can't come home in an emergency.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Mar 8 1:30 pm

Calamity- Jane

Barked: Thu Mar 6, '14 8:21am PST 
As many of you know, I got Link and Pip under...not so great circumstances. Basically, they were impulse pups while I was in a really unideal situation. I decided to keep them, despite my own issues, and work with them instead of pass my problems on to someone else. I worked with a trainer for a while, and things seemed to calm down. However, that's not the end of the story.

In about 6 months, I'll be going to college. My parents agreed to care for the pups while I'm away almost right away (they want me to go to school, they really see this as a step in the right direction), but with the tension in the house still simmering underneath all of the progress, I'm very worried, not only for the welfare of my pups, but also for my family. I'm scared that Link will bite again. I'm scared that Pip and Jane will fight again. I'm scared that my mom and dad will get too stressed out and will take the dogs to the shelter. I just wish that I could take them with me so none of these would even be a possibility, but you can't take a dog to college. frown I wish I was in a good place of mind and thought of this before I got the dogs, but there's nothing I can do about that now. I'm freaking out, what do I do?
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Mar 8 1:30 pm

Behavior & Training > Finally got my flirt pole madeā€¦and he loves it!
Link

Barked: Mon Jan 6, '14 9:59am PST 
I made Link a flirt pole. It's nothing fancy, just an old towel as a lure and all that, but it'll do.

I tried it out yesterday, and at first Link didn't seem to know what to do with it. Then, I started dragging the lure across the grass, his prey drive kicked in, and now he gets all excited whenever I pick it up. I'm now sure that this is exactly what the both of us needed big grin.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Louie, Jan 6 8:35 pm

(Page 1 of 33: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.