Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 3:36pm PST 
I made an account for her. Please help!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kali, Oct 8 6:27 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Rocket Needs a Home URGENT
Chandler

Can I eat that?

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 12:48am PST 
Hello, my name is Jacquelyn Nikitaras and I am a volunteer at the Porter County animal shelter in Valparaiso, Indiana. I am trying to find a rescue/foster home to take in a young, pit bull terrier mix named Rocket. Rocket is an approximately three year old, twenty pound female and has been at the shelter since February of this year. She is up to date on her shots. I do believe she is spayed, but I am not completely positive. During her stay at the shelter, I have grown very attached to Rocket. She is sweet, lively, and obedient. She loves to destroy chew toys, explore the outdoors, and play in water. She knows sit but would rather lie down and roll on her back hoping for a belly rubs.

However, not many adopters have the privilege of seeing that side of her. Rocket is very dog-reactive. In her the cage, Rocket will lunge at any dog that passes. She also has a tendency to try and force her way out of her cage, which can make her difficult for some to handle. When she is outside though, all I have to do is call her name and she will ignore any other dog and come to me. Few of the employees have taken the time to get to know this amazing dog and do not take the time to work with her. My shelter is no-kill for adoptable dogs, but Rocket is in the "Grey-area" of being adoptable because of her dog reactiveness. While I do not believe that she could ever live with another dog, I do think that once out of the shelter environment she will be a wonderful dog for a single-pet home. She has never shown any human aggression whatsoever and will even let me carry her and roll her on to her back. Unfortunately, I have other dogs so I can not take her.

I have contacted all the rescues in my area and have had no luck. I am continuing to advertise her as much as possible. I've exhausted so many options and I'm getting desperate to find Rocket a home. I have grown really attached to her and am really desperate to get her out of the shelter environment. She has so much potential to be a great pet but the shelter that she is currently at just doesn't let her show it.

If there is any way that you or a rescue you know can take in Rocket, please contact Porter County Animal Shelter at (219)465-3550. I am willing to help arrange transport.

Here is Rocket's Petfinder page; http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/17788768

Feel free to share this with whomever.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Kali, Oct 8 6:27 pm

Small Dogs > Collars & Leashes! What do you use?

Chandler

Can I eat that?

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '12 2:30pm PST 
On Chandler, I use a no-pull harness, because he likes to try and keep up with the big dogs.

On Rosco, we use a strange, thick harness we found at a little pet supplies place because he likes to slip out of collars and normal harnesses. He has confinement issues. laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by Misha, Feb 25 6:20 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Need help naming my new Kelpie pup!

Buddy

Its my bed now.

Barked: Fri Jul 27, '12 1:51pm PST 
Jaden? Saw the pretty eyes and thought of Jade....but that's a bit feminine.

Hmmmm, Turbo, Dash, Atom, Kelso, Crew, Bruno, Kit?
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Jul 29 10:50 am

Behavior & Training > Tips to Help with Jumping/Mouthing

Buddy

Its my bed now.

Barked: Wed Jan 18, '12 2:18pm PST 
Thank you everyone! I can't wait to try out all these tips on the dogs. smile And yes, tug is allowed at my shelter.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 18 3:14 pm

Behavior & Training > Tips to Help with Jumping/Mouthing
Buddy

Its my bed now.

Barked: Mon Jan 16, '12 7:17pm PST 
Hi! I'd really appreciate some tips on how to deal with jumping and mouthing. You see, I volunteer at an animal shelter, and there are two pit mixes there that really need some training. Both are gorgeous and sweet, but they mouth and jump like crazy.Both are around two or three, and are sixty-ish pounds.

I can only visit the shelter on a weekly basis, so I don't know how much improvement I can make with these dogs, but I'd really like to try. I figure some training will be better than none. And I know its their behavior problems that are scaring off adopters, as both are young and really striking.

One of them, Cash, will calm down for awhile and stop mouthing/jumping and then will start up again, while Bullet constantly jumps/mouths, and will even attack clothing and shoes. They are both calm in their cages and act crazy when they are outside. I understand these are normal and somewhat reasonable behaviors for shelter dogs, as they receive so little exercise and attention, and many adopters understand this. But these dogs are so bad that they are scaring off potential adopters.

I'd really appreciate any help and tips you can give me. I'd like to try and help these two dogs as much as possible, as well as any others that come to the shelter with similar problems. smile Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Jan 18 3:14 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Horrible Breed Ambassador

Rosco

Cuddling costs- four treats,- kisses six..

Barked: Sun Dec 18, '11 8:02pm PST 
I completely understand where you are coming from. My mother and I personally experienced the 'harmful' affects of a poor breed ambassador.

When we adopted our Miniature Aussie Rosco, we got him from a very nice, respectable breeder. He grew up to be a very lazy, low-maintenance, easy-to-train, clean, independent dog. Rosco is basically a cat in a dog's body.

So then we decided to get another Mini Aussie, since Rosco was so good. However, Rosco's breeder was no longer in business, so we had to find a different one. Long story short, we ended up with Teddy. A full-sized stinky, anxious, hyper, velcro-dog. Which, minus the stinkiness, is pretty standard for an Aussie. We love Teddy to death, and we often say that Rosco and Teddy combined would be the perfect dog. But he isn't what we had in mind.

I now know better, and am much more knowledgeable about selecting appropriate breeds. And I am now done with breeders, and a strict shelter and rescue dog person. But even with shelter dogs, people really need to do research. I can't tell you how many times, as a shelter volunteer, I've seen people return a dog because it was much more than they bargained for. (Very commonly returned breeds are Huskies)
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Dec 28 7:42 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > The Most Fun Dog In The World Needs A Home! (or Rescue)

Jif (In- Loving- Memory)

The Defintion of- FUN

Barked: Mon Oct 3, '11 6:14pm PST 
Thank you, both of you.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Murphy, Oct 9 12:28 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Rest in peace my Jif baby.

Jif (In- Loving- Memory)

The Defintion of- FUN

Barked: Mon Oct 3, '11 6:12pm PST 
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and kind words. I really appreciate it.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Turner - Gone Too Soon, Oct 4 10:41 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Rest in peace my Jif baby.
Jif (In- Loving- Memory)

The Defintion of- FUN

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '11 6:55pm PST 
Jif was a dog at the shelter I volunteer at. But he wasn't just a dog. He was a crazy, goofy, wrecking ball who stole my heart. I could not take him because I live with my parents, and have five dogs already. But if there had been any way, I would have.

Jif was a magical dog. Still is. He LOVED to play. Keep-away was his favorite game on the planet. He absolutely adored being chased. He always won. I could never get him to release a toy from his masive jaws unless I offered him a better toy. Jif would make anything a toy. He would play with buckets, brooms, and even once a full gasoline can (that one he dropped rather quickly, once he punctured a hole in it). And everytime before I took him back into his cage, I would let him jump in the massive shelter toybin and pick out whatever toy he wanted. He would always come out with just one toy too.

He loved water too. He would sit in one of the little kiddie pools and chew on a toy. Sometimes, I would let all the other dogs in, so he would be the only outside. I would open the doors to all the runs, and would gallop into each one, jump in its pool, and then race to the next.

He as a very people oriented dog. He just loved to be by people, and didn't do well alone. If he was left alone outside, he would climb the six foot chain link fence. He would never go out of the shelter property. He just wanted to come inside where the people were.

Except one time, this past week. I wasn't volunteering, but I suspect that someone left him alone in his run. He climbed the fence, ran into the street, and was hit by a truck. He was taken to the vet, but had to be humanely euthanized.

Jif I love you, and miss you. The shelter wasn't the same without you today. I couldn't bring myself to go into the largest run, where you and I would run and play. I tried to save your information card, but someone threw it away. I loved you like my own dog. Heck, I have more pictures of you on my facebook then I do of my actual dogs. Please Jif, know that I tried to find you a home. I really did. And I can't help but think if I had tried harder, or had, at least, been at the shelter that day I could've saved you.

I love you my Jaws, my Tank, my Big Boy, my Beast. There will never be another dog like you on this earth. Rest in peace my Jif. Have fun chewing on the Golden Gate. Go ahead and mark your territory on the rainbow bridge. You can now spend the rest of your days causing destruction and creating mayhem without any limitations.

rainbowrainbowrainbow
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Turner - Gone Too Soon, Oct 4 10:41 am

(Page 1 of 21: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.