Postings by Zoe's Family

GO!

Choosing the Right Dog > Doing my research for a potential First Dog...

Zoe

Have Beach, Will- Swim

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 2:46pm PST 
I'm totally down with this idea... plus, there are way too many older dogs trapped in a system where most people only want puppies, so if i can give a slightly older dog a home that'd be pretty fantastic! Tiller, I'll be sure to keep in touch with you as well as any other breed specific rescues in my area and see what happens I guess!
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Oct 8 6:09 pm

Zoe

Have Beach, Will- Swim

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 9:31am PST 
That would be awesome! Yeah, my hometown is Barrington and it is where my parents still live so I'm in the area quite a bit. Acquiring a dog won't be happening for a while, not until after I graduate, but I'd love to add you on here and contact you when the time is right X)
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Oct 8 6:09 pm

Zoe

Have Beach, Will- Swim

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 8:55am PST 
oooh I'm REALLY liking the idea of a GSD. Something that could protect me after dark would be GREAT, especially since Mass doesn't let me carry pepper spray with me! Maybe there is a rescue in the area who will work with me puppy
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by , Oct 8 6:09 pm

Zoe

Have Beach, Will- Swim

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 8:24am PST 
Oh wow, so many great suggestions! You guys are awesome.

It's looking like, in general, my best option is to write some of these breeds down and look at rescues, and also browse Mix Breeds. I've grown up with two Mix Breeds and they are the greatest! Believe me, I know that prey drive is something that's very hard to get under control... our family dog, Tobi, is a rat terrier/dachshund mix and he is a TERROR with small animals, we've been trying to break him of that since we first brought him home but that mix of breed just means he's way too focused to really snap him out of it. So terriers are definitely going to be avoided.

The rabbit IS familiar with dogs, his owner's family had two pomeranians and they both pretty much ignored each other.

I'm kind of torn as far as age goes because getting a slightly older dog would help find me something that's a bit more mellow, but it'd also be nice to get a puppy because then I could raise it around the rabbit and hopefully adapt it to small animals, which is what I was hoping to do if I went with a Shiba... are there any Shiba owners out there who have experience with that aspect of things?

I feel really bad saying this but Cocker Spaniels are kind of low on the list, I had a pretty bad experience with one when I was younger and I haven't been particularly fond of them since. Every dog is different though, so I haven't completely counted them out. My neighbors have a Springer who's a doll, but from what I've seen of them they require a lot of exercise and most importantly roaming space, so I'm not sure it fits my situation.

I like the idea of a Keeshond! My brother's girlfriend had a Keeshond who was awesome, I'll look into them some more. A German Shepard sounds great too if I can find a more mellow individual.

The exercise thing is pretty flexible, I capped my exercising potential at 1 hour simply because I currently live a very lazy lifestyle, but part of the reason I want a dog is because having one convinces me to go out on a more regular schedule and for much longer; when I'm at home, I have a lot more fun going for walks if I bring my dog with me, so it's likely that with a pooch of my own I would be willing to extend that exercise time past that; I just wanted to cap it because it's hard to say what will and won't happen in the future, you know? hahah.
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by , Oct 8 6:09 pm

Zoe

Have Beach, Will- Swim

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 11:35pm PST 
I just realized, would a Greyhound be ok around my roomates rabbit? He is a house rabbit and therefore is prone to wandering about; any dog could potentially be kept separate from him very easily, but it's something I need to keep into consideration.

You guys got anything to recommend in the medium dog size range?
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by , Oct 8 6:09 pm

Zoe

Have Beach, Will- Swim

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 10:41pm PST 
While I'm not a novice at handling a dog, as great as Chow's sound they sound like they might be outside of my ability level, and the last thing I want to do is get in over my head and have the dog end up paying for it somehow. Maybe a Chow rescue might have some sort of Mix that has some of the traits but is easier to handle? I'm going to write that info down and save it, perhaps they'll have something that might work.

I'm definitely interested in the idea of a Rough Collie, the dog that I grew up with and helped raise is part Border Collie so I have some experience with herder types, but in my experience they are prone to anxiety and I have some loud roommates, I wouldn't want to upset the dog with that either. Maybe that's just a Border Collie thing and a Rough Collie would be chill? Greyhounds sound like a good option too.

The 1 hour walk time is definitely a flexible thing, but a little dog might be the better route for me even though as a personal taste thing I'm very fond of large dogs.

American Eskimo dogs have also been coming up on my searches a lot, what do you guys know about them?
[notify]
» There has since been 30 posts. Last posting by , Oct 8 6:09 pm

Zoe

Have Beach, Will- Swim

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 9:56pm PST 
ooooh, that's an interesting suggestion.... Particularly it piques my interest because my one roommate who isn't really a dog person has a huge soft spot for Chows, that sounds like a good choice simply for placating her, hahhaha. Problem is that while I'm not totally opposed to an independent dog, I kind of want something that isn't going to be prone to being aloof. Maybe a Chow mix would work well?
[notify]
» There has since been 35 posts. Last posting by , Oct 8 6:09 pm

Zoe

Have Beach, Will- Swim

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 8:02pm PST 
Oh, just to clarify some further traits:
-I love large dogs especially C:
-While I'm definitely willing to walk a dog as much as it needs to be walked, I generally live a pretty lazy lifestyle.
- I'm pretty flexible as far as age goes, puppy or older dog, whatever
- A breed that is generally less anxious would be nice since I'd likely be taking it on the subway with me to take it to parks and such.
-Something that potentially works as a guard dog would be NICE, but isn't totally necessary.
[notify]
» There has since been 37 posts. Last posting by , Oct 8 6:09 pm

Zoe

Have Beach, Will- Swim

Barked: Fri Oct 5, '12 7:39pm PST 
Hey guys, here's the scoop: I'm a 21 year old lady doing some research to find out, potentially, what dog might best fit my living situation in the future. I live in Boston and I'm wrapping up my Senior Year of college, and I'd really love to get a companion for after I graduate. Right now I'm living in a 4 Bedroom apartment with a very large common space, with 6 other people, a cat, and a rabbit. However I will likely be moving to a new place come next September, hopefully with a few less people. While this is technically the first dog I'll be raising by myself, I had a very heavy hand in raising and training our family dogs, so I'm not a complete novice when it comes to that aspect. I'm willing to put in at least an hour a day walking and playing with a dog, plus I have many roommates who can help care for a dog while I'm out working or such. Also I'm totally A-OK with grooming.

I guess in general what I'm asking is, is this an OK situation to even have a dog? I'm very much a dog person and I want one of my own very badly. My dream breed is a Shiba Inu, but I hear mixed responses as to the general activity level of those breeds. I'm always wiling to go an extra mile for a pet, but the last thing I want is to get a dog into a situation where it would be unhappy with the care I can provide for it.

I've been using multiple breed selectors, but I'd like some input from other dog owners as to what breeds would best fit my situation. This is all purely hypothetical, and I'll be sure to do further research on any suggestions! blue dog
[notify]
» There has since been 38 posts. Last posting by , Oct 8 6:09 pm

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.