Postings by Toby's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Pomeranian > Is my pomeranian a throwback?
Toby

I luv to bark

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 5:19pm PST 
My Pom Toby is very large for a Pom. He's almost as big as my small Sheltie. He's very close to 13 inches tall and right now a bit pudgy at 19#. We're working on getting him down to 14-15 pounds which my vet says will be good for him. I adopted him two years ago and he was 8 years old so I have no puppy records for him. I do know who bred him and am sure that he is a purebred Pom.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Fri 9:43 am

Pomeranian > One Eyed Jack - Pom in desperate need
Toby

I luv to bark

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 6:51pm PST 
I'm glad he found a foster home. I hope he's as lucky in getting a forever home. soon.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Toby, Dec 13 6:51 pm

Pomeranian > Our new Pom is quite the little escape artist!

Toby

I luv to bark

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 6:46pm PST 
Well the little stinker. laugh out loud Typical Pom though, stubborn and determined.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Toby, Dec 13 6:46 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Giving up on Shelties for SD work?

Fergus

Lets Run

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '12 6:58pm PST 
I've owned Shelties for over thirty years. I have 2 right now they are my eighth and ninth. Of the nine I would say probably 4 of them would have made good service dogs and one other would have been a maybe. The others would have been terrific performance dogs but disasters as service dogs. I still would not discount a Sheltie as a service dog. I have a friend on another forum that just lost her service Sheltie and another just got a Sheltie puppy for her nephew to train as a service dog. The puppy is doing great.

Shelties are a sensitive breed can, depending on the dog, take a very long time to adjust to changes in their circumstances. A week is a very short time but then again one of my current Shelties, a rescue, walked into my house and he was home. There was no adjustment period at all it's like he's always been here. He's extremely friendly and has never met a person he doesn't love especially if they pet him and tell him how handsome he is. This guy is in no way what people would consider a "typical" Sheltie. I'm not sure if someone did an extremely good job socializing him as a puppy or if this is just his temperament.

If you have your heart set on a Sheltie I wouldn't give up, keep looking. It may take awhile but I would hope there is one out there that will fit your needs.

Best of luck in your search.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 4 9:54 am

Grooming > How to Brush a Sheltie?

Baxter

I Luv FOOD!!

Barked: Sat Nov 24, '12 4:08pm PST 
I've had shelties for over 30 years and was lucky enough to get a brushing lesson from the breeder of my first Sheltie. Do not brush a dry coat. There are grooming sprays available but I just mist my guys with plain water. I line brush with a slicker for most of it but use a comb in the area right behind the ears. The ear hair will mat very quickly. When I have them thoroughly brushed I use a pin brush to do an all over finish on the outer coat.

If you are not experienced in brushing Shelties I would not use a Furminator. If not used properly it will damage and break the long, outer coat. I would recommend an undercoat rake over the Furminator and actually the only time you'd really need either is when they blow coat once or twice a year. Once you get the hang of line brushing you should be able to get the job done fairly quickly and shouldn't have to brush more than once a week unless it's blowing season.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Nov 27 6:56 pm

Shetland Sheepdog > Sheltie Breeders in Minnesota, USA
Fergus

Lets Run

Barked: Fri Nov 23, '12 6:32am PST 
That's great. Vicki has some lovely dogs. She's been in the business a long time and should be able to help you get the right dog. She knows a lot of fellow breeders. If she doesn't feel she has one she might know someone that does.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Fergus, Nov 23 6:32 am

Shetland Sheepdog > Sheltie Breeders in Minnesota, USA

Fergus

Lets Run

Barked: Sun Nov 4, '12 6:37pm PST 
You don't state which breeders you have contacted. I know of 2.
Blackmyst Shelties is owned by Rachel Lucas and Shelli Stulken. I'm not sure where the kennel is located but Shelli is a vet and I believe she works in the Minneapolis area. The other is Weis Shelties(Vicki Weis) in Redwood Falls.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Fergus, Nov 23 6:32 am

Choosing the Right Dog > About Pomeranians.

Toby

I luv to bark

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 2:41pm PST 
I took Toby in when my nephew moved. It was one of those "we're moving and can't take the dog" along scenarios. Toby was nine years old and was pretty much ignored and left to do whatever he chose in his previous home so he came with a ton of baggage. I have had Shelties for over 30 years and this little guy is a whole different thing all together. It's been a lot of work to get him where he is now and an education for me.

Toby is a huge barker, much worse than my Shelties. I'm sure some of that can be attributed to lack of training. He is very nervous and high strung. I'm not sure if that is from his previous life or just poor breeding. He is also extremely stubborn. He will happily do what you ask if he wants to if not forget it. He gets along with both my Shelties now but it took months to get here. I agree that they bond to one person more than others. Toby was very jealous at first when I gave attention to the other dogs and would get downright nasty, showing teeth and growling. When he found out that behavior didn't get him sole control of Mom's lap he got over it. Pom's need a kind but firm hand or they will take control.

Now for the good points. Toby is very smart and learns quickly when he wants to. He's come a long way in just a few months. He is also very affectionate and loves to be cuddled. He is a happy little guy and very funny. He is also as cute as can be. My plan when I adopted him was to fix some of his issues and then rehome him but even though he drives me nuts sometimes I think he's here to stay.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Toby, Aug 11 2:41 pm

Pomeranian > Strange Behavior

Toby

I luv to bark

Barked: Wed Aug 1, '12 8:20pm PST 
Wish i had some insight for you on what's going on with Yogi. I don't know where you are located but it's been a horrid, hot summer here. My boys are not dealing with it very well. They are not nearly as active as they usually are. Is it possible that Yogi is hiding by the bath tub because it's cooler there? I know the bathroom tends to be the coolest room in my house if I do not have the AC on.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Toby, Aug 1 8:20 pm

Pomeranian > grooming help?
Toby

I luv to bark

Barked: Sun Jul 29, '12 9:27am PST 
Suzi here's a couple of things a groomer told me to do with Toby.

If your dog is not good about brushing the butt tuck the dog under your arm with the head toward the back. Put your arm around the dog right in front of the back legs. Hold firmly just tight enough so the dog can't wriggle. It's a gentle enough hold that it tends not to upset them too much and you have good control over their movement not to mention there's no way they can nip you or the brush. I found this works great and still use it with Toby. He knows now he can't nip at me anymore so he sits when I start to brush his back end. Can't brush the back end when he's sitting on it.

The second thing was to groom with a collar on. Hold the collar at the back of the neck while you brush. This gives you some control and also they can't reach back and nip you.

I thank that groomer every time I brush Toby. Hope this helps you too.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Toby, Jul 29 9:27 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.