Postings by Ruby's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Sad sad news, need to find rescue for dogs. Help?
Ruby

Like a precious- stone

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 4:24pm PST 
Thank you two, but I've managed to work out a deal with the soon to be ex. I'm going to be moving in with him (to the US) when he comes back from Korea, bring our dogs and once in the US I can find non-kill shelters to give them to. I already have their tickets saved up, and their kennels bought (before the divorce news, we were gonna move in together with them once he came home from Korea).

So at least once they touch US soil, finding a shelter will be a million times easier.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Feb 1 7:39 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Sad sad news, need to find rescue for dogs. Help?
Ruby

Like a precious- stone

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 8:18pm PST 
Personal story made short. I'm getting a divorce, will be working a job that won't pay me enough for even a two bedroom apartment. I own a rottweiler and a pomeranian.

I need to find a rescue for them in the US. But I live in Puerto Rico. What's the problem? Well, PR's adoption rate is less than 1%. Not only that, we have more than 2k stray dogs on this island (from what it's known) and people here leave their dogs alone, chained up in the backyard with a bucket of food and water when they go out for a 2 week vacation. In other words, I won't be able to find a good home in time.

I'm willing to pay for their airline tickets, specially to breed specific rescues. (That way people know what they're getting, not a new rottie owner for example).

My research has turned up dry. Is there ANY group out there willing to help?

I'm literally crying over this as I type. I could be selfish and keep them in that apartment, feeding them whatever food I can buy, but I can't do that to them. They eat blue buffalo, they get daily walks, I'll be working all day and will never have time for them.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Feb 1 7:39 pm

Dog Health > Weight?

Ruby

Like a precious- stone

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 5:26pm PST 
Ruby is 6 months in 3 days and she weighs 35 pounds frown I weighed myself and then grabbed her and weighed myself with her. I've been told that it should be 10 pounds per month, so if the weight I got was accurate, is she under weight? I feed her 4 cups of Blue Buffalo every day, twice in a day, 2 in the morning and 2 at night.

Does she look too thin in the pictures?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kali, Nov 12 6:37 pm

Behavior & Training > PetSmart Training

Ruby

Like a precious- stone

Barked: Tue Oct 16, '12 4:31pm PST 
I got signed up for classes! smile

I went to the classes and watched them, love the fact that the trainer teaches YOU and not the dog, YOU teach the dog.

I just wanted to hear good/bad stories about it. I'm very knowledgeable with dog behavior, but I feel like I rather take the classes for socialization and to learn methods of training. I'm only signing up my puppy though, my little pom doesn't really need the training, except potty training and what I learn in the class with Ruby, I can apply with him smile

I'm pretty excited! big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Oct 17 6:58 am

Rottweiler > Purebred...or not?

Ruby

Like a precious- stone

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 2:35pm PST 
Very sad to tell you, you're beautiful baby isn't a rottie purebred. Looks like a german shepherd mix! I hope you signed a contract, so you can return the dog and get your money back, or if you're not into that, report her to the authorities! You're probably not the first person that she has fooled. Also, even the puppy pictures don't look like a pure bred frown

But she IS beautiful!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 23 5:52 am

Food & Nutrition > Best Dog Food
Ruby

Like a precious- stone

Barked: Fri Sep 21, '12 2:19pm PST 
My brother and I (Rottie & Pomeranian) eat blue buffalo! We love it, and it's made our hair all pretty and have no had any allergic reactions! Also, we do less poop for our owners!

My owner had to feed us some pedigree cuz we moved and ran out of our regular dog food cuz the place we lived, we didn't find where to buy it! And WOW shock We had a lot of poop!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Dreamy, Sep 28 4:01 am

Food & Nutrition > How much food shold I feed him?

Sparky

Sparky - the spark of the- family!

Barked: Tue May 8, '12 7:17pm PST 
I feed my dog (Small Pomeranian: Sparky) Blue Buffalo Life Protection Small Breed Chicken and Rice Formula, 3/4 cup. I've decided to add some wet food into the mix, which is: Blue Homestyle Recipe Chicken Dinner.

I have a container where I keep the food, so I throw out the bag once I buy it. The case the cans come in don't gemme any advice on mixing the two...

So. How much should I feed of both dry and wet? : The can says 1/2 a can for every 10 pounds, but since I'd be adding dry food, how much?!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Fireside's Twilight Princess, May 9 9:30 am

Dog Health > Vet suggested something but I'm having second thoughts, what do you think?

Sparky

Barked: Fri Jan 20, '12 11:13am PST 
Thanks for everyone's responses and advice. Sorry for taking so long in replying, been pretty busy!

But yes, to answer most of you. I am definitely getting a second opinion.

And also to answer one of you (don't remember who) he doesn't wake up to "fly catching", in all honesty when he does it (and he's not eating) he only does it when he's not doing anything. Like if we're playing with him he has never "stopped and fly catch" its always when we're just sitting down and pretty much ignoring him (along with when he eats). When he's preoccupied (other than eating) he doesn't do it.

AND to answer another person! (lol) He doesn't have yellow globes or anything. And to be honest, I don't even think the vet would have noticed if he did. I went in just for an exam and to ask a few questions but she didn't REALLY examine him. At another clinic I went to they told me he had Luxating Patella Grade 2, and this doctor (I never mentioned that at all) didn't even tell me about it. I asked for a fuuuulll physical and she didn't even ask me if I knew he had one testicle (the other clinic wanted to make sure I knew even though it was likely and yes I'm already scheduling a neuter at my mom's friend vet! lol)

I went to this clinic for its great reputation and very low costs, but the vet techs pay more attention to him than the actual vet does (when you go for routine stuff like vaccines, you don't need to be examined by the vet, if you want to be examined by the vet you ask for it for an extra cost). But to be honest, from now on I think I rather go for the little bit more expensive vet that WILL give me good info!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Jan 23 9:39 am

Dog Health > Vet suggested something but I'm having second thoughts, what do you think?

Sparky

Barked: Sat Jan 14, '12 10:49pm PST 
Hey! Sorry I took a while responding.

He hasn't show any other "bad" symptoms at all, other than the Fly Catching that is. No vomiting, he's activity level hasn't changed at all. Everything is normal except that. The vet didn't do any blood work either, since I'm moving so soon I'm just going to change his diet as I had already planned, went from Authority to Castor & Pollux Natural Ultramix canned, but I had been planning on doing it for a while because C & P is a much better quality food and he didn't like kibble anyways.

When I get home my mother knows a veterinarian and trusts him very much, so I'm going to be going to him for a second opinion AND actual blood work.

I'm honestly not taking the vet I saw seriously. As soon as I mentioned fly catching, she took me to where they sell the food that would be perfect to solve his problem. Sounded more like a way of selling their product than an actual diagnosis.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Jan 23 9:39 am

Sparky

Barked: Fri Jan 13, '12 4:14pm PST 
Ok FIRST of all! I understand you guys aren't vets (though some of you might be lol) I just want to know what you guys would do in my situation.

In the last few days I've noticed Sparky has been "fly catching" when apparently there's nothing there. He does it when he eats or when no one's paying attention to him. Since we're moving, I decided to take him to the veterinarian before leaving just in case I can't find a vet where I'm at in the first few weeks.

SO The vet tells me that this can have something
to do with seizures, but since he only does it in specific times (specially when he's eating) she decided that it could have something to do with his liver. She told me to give him lower protein food (which they sell).

I'm conflicted because I've always heard you shouldn't give a healthy dog low protein diet and one symptom can't possibly point to a specific condition.

SO My question. Should I feed him another food with a BIT lower protein (planning on giving him like 8% from canned food, right now he eats dry kibble 22% protein and the vet suggested 5% or less in canned and 15% or less in kibble) until I get where I'm going and I can actually do some tests? I feel uncomfortable changing his diet to lower protein without any solid proof that he needs it.

Unfortunately since we didn't expect this to happen at this time, our budget included his vet bills for only the necessary things for travel, I'll be able to afford the proper tests once we get there.

What would you do?
(I bought some Innova Senior Dog Food Canned Food cuz it has 4.3% protein today, and the food he has been eating is Authority, but I might end up going back and switching it to maybe Wellness/Blue Buffalo or Organix)
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Jan 23 9:39 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.