Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Service & Therapy Dogs > My church rejected me because of my SD
Arizona SDiT

Shelter dog to- wonder dog!

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '12 4:44pm PST 
I'm so sorry you are going through this. My prayers are out that whatever the outcome is, you and Pip are ok and able to worship together in peace.

That said i agree that church and state should be separate. In fact i wish it was enforced more (not so much on a SD standpoint) but on the moral thing. I'm gay and unable to get married because of the uproar from the church. Love is love and the church should have no say in who can express that love. If a particular church doesn't want to preform the ceremony or allow a SD in then fine but from a legal standpoint i should still be allowed to get married even if its only at town hall. But I'm getting side tracked...

I've jumped around to many churches in my life to find somewhere I'm accepted no matter what and both me and my "wife" attend an Episcopal church (where we had our civil union ceremony). They are extremely welcoming to EVERYONE, even Arizona ;-)
If you ever travel to northern NJ feel free to attend service at St Jonh's Episcopal church in Montclair -both you and Pippa would have a blast.
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by , Oct 4 11:19 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > My dog as a therapy just because of being him
Arizona SDiT

Barked: Fri Aug 3, '12 5:53am PST 
You said once your visa was approved that you realized your dog couldn't make it on the fight... Why? Do you not have enough money to fly the dog? Or is the dogs medical stuff not up to par to get into the usa? Or do you mean YOU can't make the flight due to anxiety without the dog? Some of your english is off and you jump around topics so I'm having a hard time understanding what the problem is on why the dog can't get on the flight. Either way you don't sound disabled and faking that the dog is a service dog is unacceptable and illegal. Service dogs require a lot of training that it sounds like your dog doesn't have. The airline will take note of that and will probably deny access for the dog anyway. If the dog is not current on required vaccines and doesn't have an international health certificate the dog cannot come to the usa regardless of its status as a pet or service animal. If you have a history of mental illness in your family or anxiety yourself you may qualify to bring the dog as an Emotional Support Animal (ESA) but you still need vaccines/health certificate and you need a letter from your doctor/psychiatrist/therapist stating your need for the dog to be with you on the flight. Even then the dog should be quiet and well behaved for the flight or the airline can still kick you off or make the dog fly cargo. If you just don't have the money to pay for the dogs flight and are looking for an easy way to sneak him on board then your just plain out of luck and cannot bring him.
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by , Aug 6 8:54 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > NJ's Laws For Service Dogs In Training?

Arizona SDiT

Barked: Tue Jul 31, '12 6:46pm PST 
So far I've kept my mouth shut regarding any posts from you because I don't see the need to waste my energy on someone who isn't listening but since this is regarding my home state I'm going to jump in.

NO! NJ doesn't allow public access to dogs in training. Don't bring Bella here. Don't bring Bella any where. You and the dog are NJ only grants public access to fully trained service dogs or service dogs being trained by a professional trainer affiliated with a training school in the state (ie The Seeing Eye). Owner trainers do not have public access rights in NJ.RESPONSIBLE owner trainers train their well behaved, health & behavior evaluated, housebroken, potential service dogs to dog friendly places like pet stores to work on public access or they call ahead to a store and request permission from the store owner/manager. Bella (as well as any shelter mutt you pick out at random) don't even qualify for that as other members on this forum have pointed out.

Stop looking for dogs, stop rewording questions to try and get us to change our advice.

Do train bella at home to gain better experience. Get her behavior issues worked on so she and you can have a better relationship.

Then look for a program that you can get a dog from where you can learn from their trainers and get set up for success instead of failure.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 31 7:06 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > When you have two (+) dogs

Arizona SDiT

Barked: Sun Jul 29, '12 6:07pm PST 
I get asked this all the time when people realize I have 3 dogs. I've always had at least two dogs and at one time I had 4 (rip my lil simba). I always try to make time for each dog each day. They all go out together for potty walks and then they each get a special walk alone at some in the day. We all hit the dog park together a few times a week and once a month everyone comes to work (I know that's not usually possible for most people but I work in the animal field so I can bring them in for playtime or a bath once and a while.) Each day I rotate who gets "top dog status" - to dog for the day gets fed first and gets to come on the bed while I'm settling down for the night. During playtime they all kinda jump in and share nicely but if a spat breaks out, top dog gets the toy. Its worked great so far and I think they all feel loved. Plus since the day arizona came home she always left with me when I went to work so I don't think the others mind much. It also helps that my wife spends time with the other two a lot. I would make pippa wait her turn for pets when your interacting with luke. Like happy said it will help with her manners and training in the long run. Welcome to the multiple kids world lol
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 29 6:19 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Here she is!

Arizona SDiT

Barked: Sun Jul 29, '12 12:54pm PST 
welcome yay! Congrads, she's a cutie!wishes
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 30 10:12 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > How to teach your dog to ignore others?
Arizona SDiT

Barked: Sun Jul 29, '12 6:18am PST 
Hmm, try a higher value treat she can't resist? diced hot dogs, chicken, or crumbled bacon? Perhaps a puppy class where you can get immediate feedback and help.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Jul 30 7:47 am

Arizona SDiT

Barked: Sat Jul 28, '12 6:21pm PST 
I agree that halti's are a quick fix for some people who don't want to bother to properly train a dog. However from previous posts from Nova she seems like the type who is committed to a sound and thorough training program for her puppy. When used properly as a training AID (not a fix all) halti's are very useful to get a situation like this under control before it gets to a point where it could be dangerous (ie nova pulling up to an aggressive dog or something) while she continues to train. Once a solid foundation is built a dog should be transitioned back to a flat buckle. I whole heartedly agree that a dog should be able to pass a CGC & PAT on a flat buckle collar and if after that a handler chooses to use a halti for better alerts when working then that's their decision. At this time Arizona uses her gentle leader for training with her exuberance at seeing another dog because I want to control a situation before it gets out of hand. If no dogs are around she's wonderful on a flat buckle. She will be taking all her tests in a flat buckle once me and my trainer feel she's ready. Then I will decide what her working gear will be. Yes the average joe person abuses the halti's purpose but when used as a training aid I find them very valuable. I use them on all my shelter dogs during initial training and I think it had truly accelerated our training program by being able to adopt out obedient dogs.

Anyway, Nova, how are you training the heel/lose leash walking to begin with? My mind is failing me about who said to not use leash pops but I totally agree with that. I also don't find bribing with treats to teach a heel very effective. My favorite way of teaching the heel is "turn" method. It looks totally stupid but whatever lol. On a flat collar start walking and as soon as the dog gets ahead of you, call their name to get their attention and turn about face and head the other way. You may only take two or three steps before having to turn (hence why you look silly) and don't do it if your feeling faint/dizzy. But the dog realizes that you don't get to go anywhere unless they stay at your side on a loose leash. Once they are doing it consistantly then I add the heel command and click/treat for every few steps so they stay close and focused on me. Gradually leave out clicks/treats over time. This method takes time & consistency but all my dogs get it within a week or so.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Jul 30 7:47 am

Arizona SDiT

Barked: Wed Jul 25, '12 8:03pm PST 
Oh yeah, and I totally agree with the halti idea! I use a gentle leader on Arizona. She wasn't much of a puller except with other dogs and it totally helps. Its also more sensitive so I can tell where she's looking with it better then a flat buckle collar or a harness and she is more intuned with me when she has the gentle leader on, especially if I'm figeting or picking at my skin-she alterts much sooner.
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by , Jul 30 7:47 am

Arizona SDiT

Barked: Wed Jul 25, '12 7:56pm PST 
I bottle raised Arizona, and sometimes I think she thinks she's "a people" lol... She's just like Nova in thinking EVERYONE is her friend and should say "hi". She just turned a year and is just starting her SD work/training. She's my first service dog so I'm nut sure I'm the best qualified person to answer but I have trained a lot of dogs in my time. From 0-4mo I usually teach the baby basics: housebreaking & going potty on command, sit, down, stay, come, and leave it. During this time I let the puppy just be a puppy and explore and socialize. I bring them out EVERYWHERE once they get their shots; park, playgrounds, barn, beach, pet friendly stores, family & friends houses. I let everyone and anyone interact and make everything positive so they're super outgoing and confident. From 4-8 mo I start to set rules and manners. Loose leash walking & heeling, off leash work, and adding distractions to the basic obedience. Sounds like this is where your at now. With Arizona I taught her the leave it command wherever we were out and she wanted to say hi to everyone. I initially trained her by hand feeding some treats saying "take it" then on the 5th or do treat I'd hold out my hand but when she went to grab it I closed my fist and said leave it. Once she stopped sniffing/licking/nudging my hand for the treat I'd open my fist and say"take it". After 5 min of repetition I could hold my hand out, say leave it, and she would wait until I said take it to eat. Then I would apply it to other stuff-food on counter, toys, squirrels, ect. It worked well enough but it wasn't until I came to the forum that I was introduced to clicker training to build focus on top of her leave it. Before I would say leave it and she wouldn't go for the food/person/toy but she would still stare at it. To get her focused I would say leave it, wait for her to glance at me, then click and treat. I started with baby steps like just a glance or a head turn and once she got the treat I'd give her another if she stayed focused or repeat the command if she looked back at whatever it is she wanted. Now when I say leave it she's totally focused on me, it worked great for her sniffing and people distractions. We still have some issues with other dogs cuz she wants to play but its getting so much better.

But back to the pulling - she is so young that I would just work her in her vest in controlled situations now. Don't set her up to fail by training with distractions of she's not ready. Use family and friends that will follow rules first on the yard or an empty parking lot once she has leave it down pat. Start on opposite sides of the area and work toward your helper. The second she gets excited/pulls -stop, say leave it, and wait until she's settled & focused to click and treat. Time & patience is key. Gradually decrease the distance till you canwalk right up to, around, and past your friends. And make her sit nicely when petted and focused on you. Arizona is at this stage where she's learning to ignore unwanted pets. I just tell her leave it as many times as I need and praise praise praise. Today we had a very persistent kid follow us around CVS who kept petting her dispite me saying no and go back to your mom and whatever. Arizona did great and refused to interact with the kid so she finally got bored told me my dog was no fun and left lol!

So now that this is crazy long cuz I ramble:
1) socialize! (esp cuz she's a shep and they can be questionable of you skip this stage)
2) train in quiet places until she's solid in basic obedience THEN add the uncontrollable obnoxious strangers who grab and make kissy noises
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by , Jul 30 7:47 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Service Dog 'kit'
Arizona SDiT

Barked: Wed Jul 25, '12 11:50am PST 
I have a joint human + pet first aid kit in my car. Has come in super handy for stays found on the side of the road, getting nicks and thorns/burrs from hiking, and the time I witnessed someone get hit by a car and was able to help until the ambulance arrived. (Ok so I'm to chicken to help - but my wife practically jumped out of the car to go to that guys rescue and she used my first aid kit)

I took the list of what to put in my kit from the red cross website then added some animal things too:

- 2 absorbent compress dressings (5 x 9 inches)
- 25 adhesive bandages (assorted sizes)
- 1 adhesive cloth tape (10 yards x 1 inch)
- 5 antibiotic ointment packets (approximately 1 gram)
- 5 antiseptic wipe packets
- 2 packets of aspirin (81 mg each)
- 1 blanket (space blanket)
- 1 breathing barrier (with one-way valve)
- 1 instant cold compress
- 2 pair of nonlatex gloves (size: large)
- 2 hydrocortisone ointment packets (approximately 1 gram each)
- Scissors
- 1 roller ace bandage (3 inches wide)
- 1 roller ace bandage (4 inches wide)
- 5 sterile gauze pads (3 x 3 inches)
- 5 sterile gauze pads (4 x 4 inches)
- 5 non stick gauze pads (3 x 3 inches)
- 5 non stick gauze pads (4 x 4 inches)
- Oral thermometer (non-mercury/nonglass)
- 2 triangular bandages
- Tweezers
- First aid instruction booklet
- 1 vet wrap (3in wide)
- 1 vet wrap (4in wide)
- Travel bottle of Benadryl
- Nail clippers (dog)
- Aloe Vera gel (I get sun burned easily)
- Muzzle (any injured animal can bite)
- Eye dropper/oral syringe (to flush wounds)

Hope this helps!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 25 12:38 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.