Postings by Amelia's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Puppy Place > Peeing in the crate!
Amelia

Barked: Thu Jul 12, '12 11:52am PST 
Yeah, I'm deodorizing the crate as often as humanely possible but it's not really helping much. I'm becoming really concerned that it's medical and not behavioral.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Oct 25 12:45 pm

Puppy Place > Peeing in the crate!
Amelia

Barked: Thu Jul 12, '12 11:30am PST 
I have a nearly 6 month old pit/lab mix puppy who was doing very, very well with her housetraining in the 3 months we've had her... up until about a week ago.

She's started peeing inside her crate almost every hour that she spends in there. She never did this before. I started walking her more often and for longer periods of time, but it hasn't helped. I was beginning to think that she's doing it because she doesn't want to be inside the crate, and knows that if she pees she has to come out to get it cleaned, but that sounds wildly vindictive for a puppy wink

We're about to move to a new place with a large fenced-in backyard, so she'll have more room to run about and maybe that will help.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to help her? Is it possible that she could have some kind of infection that's causing her to urinate so frequently? Or do I just need to try another method?
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Oct 25 12:45 pm

Behavior & Training > Clicker Training?

Amelia

Barked: Tue May 8, '12 7:04pm PST 
Thank you for the tips! I think I might look for a local training school that offers clicker training to get us started on the basics and proper timing. I'm really excited about doing this, because I want Millie's training sessions to be positive, fun, and effective, and this looks like the way to go.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Amelia, May 8 7:04 pm

Amelia

Barked: Tue May 8, '12 6:57pm PST 
Thanks so much! These videos look like a great place to start.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Amelia, May 8 7:04 pm

Amelia

Barked: Tue May 8, '12 6:26pm PST 
I'm considering starting clicker training with my 10 week old lab/pit mix. I really want to use positive methods of training, and clicker training looks like a good way to accomplish that. Thoughts? Recommendations on clicker training videos, books, or trainers that I should check out? Does clicker training even work?
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Amelia, May 8 7:04 pm

Puppy Place > Lunging at other dogs!
Amelia

Barked: Tue May 8, '12 6:09pm PST 
So true! I have a friend that visited yesterday, and I gave her a rundown of what to do and what not to do, because of the training I'm working on with Millie. But she still kept wiggling her fingers in front of Millie's face to encourage her to play, running in front of me while I was walking her, and kept wanting to hold the leash or distract her when I was trying to get Millie to focus. When I asked her to stop, she said, "I'm just playing with her." Mind you, this is a person who knows next to nothing about dogs.

I finally had to take a few minutes and firmly explain to her that I'm trying to teach Millie good behaviors, and that if she wasn't going to respect the requests I made of her, then she wasn't going to be able to visit. It's unfortunate, but there it is.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Frankie, May 9 12:19 pm

Amelia

Barked: Tue May 8, '12 5:53pm PST 
Thanks for the input! She's getting better on a leash, but she just gets so darn excited when she sees strangers! I adopted her from a shelter at 8 weeks, so I'm not sure what kind of attention she had there, especially with all the younger volunteers there that inadvertently encourage puppies to bite and chase when they play with them. I'm hoping that since I'm catching her this young, I can get a handle on the behavior.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Frankie, May 9 12:19 pm

Behavior & Training > "Trainer" put a shock collar on 15 week old pup - are you kidding me?

Amelia

Barked: Tue May 8, '12 5:41pm PST 
I can't imagine many reasons to put a shock collar on a dog that young, or even at all, unless perhaps they were deaf and were trained to wear a shock collar for their safety. She made the right decision by getting the heck outta there.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Lupi, Jun 21 7:02 am

Amelia

Barked: Tue May 8, '12 5:21pm PST 
Amelia is ten weeks old, and in the beginning stages of leash training. I live in an apartment complex, so there's a lot of other dogs around, leashed and unleashed, even though ALL of them are supposed to be leashed. Luckily we haven't had any negative confrontations yet.

However, Millie is very friendly and young and gets excited when other dogs or people are around. She pulls and pulls on the leash, lunging at them to get to them. And while I know she's being friendly, I know this could appear aggressive to other dogs and people, and could encourage other dogs to feel defensive. More than anything, I want to curb the behavior and train her not to lunge.

She is a friendly dog, but I want her to also be a well-behaved dog and I want to show her that we should respect other people's/animals' spaces.

Does anyone have any tips on how to work on this lunging problem?
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Frankie, May 9 12:19 pm

Puppy Place > DILLEMMA... what would you do?
Amelia

Barked: Sat May 5, '12 10:31am PST 
As someone who has adopted both her dog and her cat from the local shelter, I would consider taking your pup to the shelter for her spay. You are under no obligation to always use your favorite vet's services, and going somewhere else for a procedure that could cost you substantially less should not affect future care. Perhaps he would discount it to ensure that you come to his facility for the surgery? If not, going to the local shelter could lessen your bill AND help them take care of the animals in their facilities. Just make sure the staff performing the surgery is well-qualified.
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by Sheeba, May 28 7:11 am

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.