Postings by Kaiser's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 73: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Local Tips, Playdates & Meetups > Knoxville, Tn?
Kaiser

Li'l Man :)

Barked: Tue Sep 4, '12 9:06am PST 
Doggy things in Knoxville? I've googled parks and greenways and such...but I really want to hear from the locals!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kaiser, Sep 4 9:06 am

Puppy Place > 9week old puppy alerting/guarding/or what?
Kaiser

Barked: Fri Mar 30, '12 4:06am PST 
I don't know if he was having a dream, if Dakota or Kya walked by his crate, or what, but Kaiser had an absolute FIT this morning at about 530. If it wasn't for his puppy voice, I would have sworn it was a full grown dog in that crate telling me the world was coming to an end. He was growling in the deepest growl I've ever heard him make and barking like something awful was in the bedroom.

He has NEVER done this before, and he's only 9 weeks old.

He will growl and bark and nip at me when I clean up his accidents in the house (working on that...apparently he thinks its a game), he will do mini growls and barks when he plays (sometimes, but especially with Dakota), but the only thing he has ever done in his crate is whine, bark, and howl (especially the first week) because he wanted o-u-t.

His crate is on one side of my bed while Dakota's is on the other. Dakota hasn't really slept in her crate much during the night since I briefly used it for Kaiser (before I was able to get him his own, instead of using the puppy crate) but she has always had free reign while he was crated, as does the cat.

What in the world is going on? He started to do it again about 30 minutes later, but I know nothing was in the room at that point. This is definitely an experience I never had with Dakota.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kaiser, Mar 30 4:06 am

Dog Health > GSD owners: Hair loss question (kinda long)

Kaiser

Barked: Thu Mar 29, '12 3:13pm PST 
well, its not shed fur...its with the roots (I suppose that may not make sense, but even the vets looked at it with a cocked head and said they'd never seen anything like it). When Dakota sheds normally, its just hair that has fallen out, no white bulbs at the end that I see. With the hair that "comes out" (whether its pulled or part of the thinning issue), it has white bulbs on the end.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kaiser, Mar 29 3:13 pm

Dog Health > GSD owners: Hair loss question (kinda long)

Kaiser

Barked: Thu Mar 29, '12 2:28pm PST 
You may remember me posting several times about this with Dakota. If not, here's the cliff notes version:

Dakota, my GSD/collie mix, went through two interesting hair loss issues a few years ago. IMO the two issues were separate: One was more of a thinning, though if you pulled the hair it would come out in clumps (root and all), and it started at her flanks and moved along her sides toward her head; The other was on her snout-it started at her nose and progressed toward her eyes in a symmetrical manner (ie, the pattern was more or less a mirror image on either side of the midline of her nose) that had an obvious line of demarcation (between the hair that was gone and the "healthy" hair).

The vet did a biopsy and ran every test possible with negative results every time. The hair on Dakota's nose finally grew back...sort of. Its still thinned out a bit, but its not bare like it was. As for the hair on her body, it seems to cycle though with no rhyme or reason. Behaviorally, there was absolutely nothing wrong with Dakota. It wasn't allergies, bacterial, viral, hormonal, or related to an auto-immune disorder. On paper, she was healthy as any dog they could have seen.

The vets (we saw 4 of them total), had never seen anything like it. No meds they administered had any effect on Dakota.

Dakota is now 6.

Fast forward to Kaiser, a full-blooded GSD. I've just noticed today, as i was brushing some dirt off his nose, that there were a few hairs falling out. My mind immediately went to Dakota, so out of curiosity I pulled a few hairs on snout to see what would happen...sure enough, they came out immediately.

Now, Dakota didn't start exhibiting her hair loss until she was an adult. Kaiser is only 8 weeks old. I'm not trying to imply that he will have the same problem (s) as Dakota, but the thought is most definitely on my mind.

Have ANY of you experienced this before? Notsomuch the body hair loss issue (since I do believe it is completely separate) but moreso the hair
loss on the bridge of a dog's nose???

I wonder if its a GSD thing...

I have a cat too who hasn't lost a bit of hair over the last 2 years.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kaiser, Mar 29 3:13 pm

Puppy Place > vaccination questions for puppy

Kaiser

Barked: Thu Mar 29, '12 1:27pm PST 
very interesting! thank you all so much!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kaiser, Mar 29 1:27 pm

Behavior & Training > Another potty training thread ;)
Kaiser

Barked: Thu Mar 29, '12 8:36am PST 
I actually did order an x-pen...a week ago...and it still hasn't shipped! Argh! But I do like the idea of one, so once it arrives it will be set up immediately smile

He loooves playing with Dakota though, so how do you recommend I use the pen? With Dakota inside as well? only sporadically throughout the day so he can play with her outside the pen at times?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Cohen CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh CGN , Mar 29 8:53 am

Behavior & Training > Another potty training thread ;)

Kaiser

Barked: Thu Mar 29, '12 6:06am PST 
So Kaiser, the smart little stinker that he is, ironically just isn't getting the whole potty training thing. At least, not with #1. I've picked up on his "I need to go #2" behavior and he has started going to the door and doing a "potty dance" when he needs to go. However with #1, it seems the feeling strikes him and he just squats wherever he is.

I am clicker training him, and take him out after every nap and play session. He gets a party every time he potties outside in his spot, and an even bigger party when he tells me he has to go out and poop. The times he pees in the house are at random (ie, not after meals, naps, or play sessions). He will have accidents inside, even after peeing outside. Sometimes I think he gets so excited playing that when he realizes he has to pee, he just goes wherever he is without warning. I've also noticed he has started doing the boy dog thing where he keeps a pee reserve, and can have a good long pee outside yet still has enough to have an accident or two inside.

He is always under my watch, and I use nature's miracle to get up all the smell.

I also ordered a bell so we can try that, but in the meantime I'm just baffled at the pee thing.

He has not messed in his crate, #1 or #2, not once since I brought him home...so at least he "gets" that.

He also drinks a LOT of water. I'm used to that, since Dakota is the same way. I do take up water at night, but during the day I feel like I should offer him water at all times.

One last thing: when I "catch him in the act" I say a stern "no" and rush him outside where sometimes he will potty a little more (at which time we have a party). When I say no, he doesn't stop peeing until I scoop him up. He just looks at me like, "yeah, what?". The rattle can does not work with him either (nerves of steel, this boy has).

After this rush of words, do you have any ideas?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Cohen CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh CGN , Mar 29 8:53 am

Kaiser

Barked: Thu Mar 29, '12 4:33am PST 
I just spoke to a neighbor who said she knows of 3 cases of Parvo in the area. Since that is combined with other vacs, thats a no brainer. Its just the bordetella I'm not sure about (though I do plan on dog park visits) and whether or not a 4th series is required in this case.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Kaiser, Mar 29 1:27 pm

Kaiser

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '12 5:23pm PST 
Ah thats a good point. I know Dakota was fairly sensitive to her puppy shots, and in retrospect it would have probably been better for her to do the rabies separately, as you've suggested. I think I will definitely do that with Kaiser!
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Kaiser, Mar 29 1:27 pm

Kaiser

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '12 5:19pm PST 
Is it something you continue to do for the adults or only for the puppies (prior to receiving all their vaccinations?) I haven't vaccinated Dakota against it since she was probably 2 or 3, and she is 6 now. Kaiser of course is still a baby.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Kaiser, Mar 29 1:27 pm

(Page 1 of 73: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.