Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Food & Nutrition > Acana dog food
Charlie

I'm a hound

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 11:22am PST 
We love Acana! Charlie has a bit of an iron stomach, and before we adopted Alice, he was doing fine on Taste of the Wild. Alice didn't do very well with the ToTW, so after rotating around some, we've settled on Acana Pacifica. Both dogs do excellent on the food. Charlie especially has had his coat improve (he's super soft now, especially his lovely hound ears) and he has much less of a houndy smell.

We buy from a local pet store chain or order it online.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 1 6:02 pm

Food & Nutrition > OMG evo and gas
Charlie

I'm a hound

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 7:00pm PST 
Evo was definitely a no go in our house. Charlie is a bit if a gassy Gus to begin with silenced, but it just did not agree with him or Alice. It was not a fun time!

Although, both do very well on Acana, so we've stuck with that for about half a year now.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jan 17 7:00 pm

Behavior & Training > I rescued a 3 yr old male Sibeian Husky and he continues to make a routine out of urinating

Alice

Woo!

Barked: Thu Jan 17, '13 5:45pm PST 
I definitely agree that going back to potty training basics will help. He's in a new home, and he's still learning what to expect from you. When you are in the house, tether him to you with a long leash so you can keep and eye on him. When you can't keep an eye on him, crate him. If he isn't neutered, you might consider that as well to cut down on the marking behavior.

Using an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle will also help clean up the urine so he can't smell it and keep going in that one spot. You can order large jugs of it off Amazon smile

Good luck! Huskies can be weird sometimes about the potty business.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 20 3:14 pm

Blue Tick Coonhound > Difficulty Training (Basic Commands)

Charlie

I'm a hound

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 5:49pm PST 
As far as having your bluetick offleash, that may never be a possibility in an uncontained area. Charlie is okay in a fenced yard (with a high enough fence) or a dog park, but we cannot trust him to be offleash just walking beside us anywhere. His hound instincts are too strong.

Training will take time. A really high-value reward may help while you are introducing new concepts. Poached chicken, small bits of hot dog, cheese, and dried liver treats are some of Charlie's favorite "special" treats. Practice, reinforcement, and time are really all you can do.

You may consider signing up for a basic training course at a local dog training school or Petsmart/Petco. The socialization, bonding time, and having someone else help you approach working with your dog are great. Your trainer might be able to offer you some resources for working with hounds.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 8 6:27 am

Siberian Husky > Your Huskies weight and Age?

Alice

Woo!

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 12:34pm PST 
Alice is 1 year and 8 months and is now up to 44 pounds. She's on the tall lanky side still.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Nov 5 5:45 pm

Siberian Husky > ✔ A head-count of all the Dogster Huskies ✔
Alice

Woo!

Barked: Thu Oct 25, '12 7:29pm PST 
Alice is a 1.5-year-old husky. She's a piebald husky with two blue eyes. We adopted her from a shelter in our area. Alice gets along well with our bluetick coonhound Charlie, even if he's sometimes a grumpy old man.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by , Jul 12 10:52 am

Choosing the Right Dog > The Tree Walker- Some Information Please

Charlie

I'm a hound

Barked: Wed May 23, '12 5:54pm PST 
I only have experience with blueticks, but you might find some good info here: http://www.coonhoundcompanions.com/index.html.

If you are thinking of rescuing, another good resource is the Coonhound Rescue Network: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Coonhound-Rescue-Network-Page/1862968 14742904. Adult coonhounds are probably going to take a bit more to settle in to your house. Poor Charlie was an emotional mess for the first week, and it seemed like at least three months went by until he was really comfortable with us.

But, he's an incredibly mellow dog as long as we have a pretty regular schedule. He's quiet inside except for whining when we wants to go out or wants our dinner. He enjoys meeting new people and other dogs, and especially enjoys attention from children at my son's school.

He is not cat friendly, and I wouldn't trust him around small animals or poultry. You may want to look into a coonhound that has been fostered around small animals to know whether or not they are going to eat someone smile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , May 23 5:54 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Starting to get discouraged.

Charlie

I'm a hound

Barked: Wed Apr 18, '12 8:57am PST 
Elsa, if you are worried about unpredictability in a shelter dog, have you considered a dog that has been fostered? The foster family would be able to offer you a better idea of the dog's personality, who it gets along with, etc. It would also make meeting the dog a bit less stressful.

Also, if you are interested in a certain breed, maybe fostering with a breed-specific rescue could help you make your decision? It can be hard to really know what dogs will fit into your lifestyle without having one-on-one time with them and getting to know them.
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by , Apr 21 5:02 pm

Siberian Husky > Questable Parentage: Or I'm a Stray, What Am I?

Alice

Woo!

Barked: Wed Mar 28, '12 6:09pm PST 
"While it's normal for Huskies to have difficulty gaining weight, I don't believe it's ok to just let them be underweight. It's also normal for Huskies to resource guard, and that's hardly acceptable. So probiotics, high calorie diets and extra meals are the norm around here, when applicable."

Thanks Vance! I feel like the 3 cups of food is probably too much for her, but if we can get some weight on her frame, then we can slowly back down and keep her at a better amount. Her probiotics arrived yesterday, so we've started on those. Hopefully we can get to a good weight soonish.

I had posted in the Food & Nutrition forum a bit about this issue too. I think that if we can get her intestines and poos in good order, then we'll consider a switch from TOTW to something like Acana where she'd be receiving more protein and nutrients (not that TOTW isn't a good food; we'd still keep Charlie our coonhound on it). I'd love to raw with her once we can move into a larger house with some extra room for a chest freezer.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Mar 28 6:09 pm

Food & Nutrition > Digestive Enzymes/Probiotics or Switch Food?
Alice

Woo!

Barked: Tue Mar 27, '12 9:15am PST 
Yes, Alice is our first husky in the family. How could you tell? laugh out loud

I do think we will cut back on the food here and add some extra enzymes for the three weeks before she goes back for another weigh-in at the vet. Our coonhound is getting around 2 1/4 cups and he's around 60 pounds -- the three cups just seems like so much of a relatively good food for Alice (she's got a big frame, but she seems like she's built lean like the sprint-racing huskies). She's obviously not getting anything out of the extra food if she's just pooing it out several times.

We could split her meals up a bit more. I usually do two kibble meals (after our morning walk and then after their walk when we get back from work) and then before I go to work both of the dogs get a kong with some sort of treat and Greek yogurt in it. We could split her dinner up into two, one bowl when we get home and then another before/after her bedtime walk.

I didn't add that when we adopted her, she still had roundworms, so she came home with pretty significant diarrhea and it took a while to get her close to a good poo. The yogurt and whatever probiotics are in TOTW may just not be enough here to get her intestines back in order as well.

Thank you so much for the help everyone!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Mar 28 12:06 am

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.