Postings by Theo's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 15: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  

Behavior & Training > Control Unleashed class
Theo

nom nom nom

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 10:42pm PST 
I'm currently reading her book and I'm learning so much! I haven't been involved in a class though. If you take a CU class, you'll have to tell us how it goes! Best of luck.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Theo, Nov 14 10:42 pm

Behavior & Training > Share your quick tips
Theo

nom nom nom

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 10:23pm PST 
The most useful thing I've found is talking to my dog constantly, even when we're not actively training. It keeps me paying attention to him, so I don't ask for his attention suddenly when I haven't given him my attention for the past hour. He learn to listen to me all the time instead of when I just have his favorite cookie. He knows context phrases around his verbal cues. And he's starting to understand multiple commands in a complete sentence. Also it's a fun party trick to say to a friend, "I'm getting tired. It's time for bed," and for him to get up from the couch, go to his crate, open the door, go inside, and lay back down. laugh out loud

In fact to make it a broader tip, if you want a dog to really give you their attention whenever you request it, train and play sporadically and randomly, with exuberance, throughout the day. Make it a surprise party that could happen at any moment, not just when you have a treat pouch on, in the living room, with the same treats as yesterday, doing the same sequence of commands. Make it a fun and unexpected! They'll start watching you in to see when the party happens next. dancing
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Nov 16 7:18 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Professionally Training SDs? Any opinions or advice?

Theo

nom nom nom

Barked: Wed Nov 14, '12 9:52pm PST 
I know there are a lot of self-trained dogs on this subforum, so I was curious as to everyone's opinion on company trained or professionally trained SDs, for lack of a better term.

Here's a little background for the question: I'm a senior in college and will graduate with a very non dog related major soon, but I picked the major when I was just out of high school and I'm a little disenchanted with it now. I'm thinking more and more seriously about looking at professional dog training paths after I graduate, but I wold love to make a real difference in the world too. Ever since my neighbor did puppy raising for a seeing eye dog group when I was a kid, I've had this secret dream of training SDs for people and giving them opportunities they may not have had without an SD. I love helping people and I love dog training, so I can't really think of anything that would be more rewarding.

Questions:
-What are your opinions of professionally trained Sds?
-If you have worked with a group that trains SDs, which was it and what was your experience like?
-Any other words of wisdom for a soul searching dog trainer at heart?

Note: I apologize for any inaccuracies in my views of the SD world. I know quite a bit about therapy training and very little about SD training. This is just a first step. Feel free to educate me if I'm off-course; I'm asking you all so I can learn. smile Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Iris vom Zauberberg, Nov 15 12:54 pm

Sports & Agility > Well, now I've done it: Agility here we come!

Theo

nom nom nom

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 10:06pm PST 
That's great to hear of a dog who is successfully working in agility and training for therapy! That's what we want to do too. :] I'm glad your dog can switch gears; I hope we can do the same when the time comes for his therapy class! For the next three weeks we have a recall class on Mondays, and for the next six Thursdays we have our agility class. Once the recall class is over, we;re going to join the monday night obedience polish class. I am so excited! I will definitely keep you all updated. Thanks again for the encouragement!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Theo, Oct 19 10:06 pm

Theo

nom nom nom

Barked: Fri Oct 19, '12 10:40am PST 
Thanks for the well wishes and suggestions! I got a brand new toy for tugging, a really sturdy soft frisbee I can hang onto pretty easily. We did the Susan Garret "fun toy" routine with it a few times, then we headed to the dog park, so I thought "why not", and brought it along secretly. When he saw it in the park, he was beside himself and tugged with me while other dogs were sniffing him! It was great! Then the toy went away again after a while. laugh out loud Poor guy is so confused, but boy does he look forward to getting that toy. :] Thanks! We'll see if he'll tug in class on Monday.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Theo, Oct 19 10:06 pm

Food & Nutrition > Orijen shortages: alternatives?
Theo

nom nom nom

Barked: Mon Oct 15, '12 7:50pm PST 
Yeah, apparently they had a kitchen fire that took out their dryer, which had to be imported from a factory in Germany. I'll take a look at wellness! :] Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Ringo, Oct 18 8:18 pm

Food & Nutrition > Orijen shortages: alternatives?

Theo

nom nom nom

Barked: Mon Oct 15, '12 6:54pm PST 
Luckily I'm not out of food yet, but I just heard about the Orijen shortages due to their kitchen fire. Don't know if it was hot news a week ago, and I'm hoping a bag will be on the shelf when I need it. But in case they don't, does anyone have any equal alternatives for Orijen? The boys eat the fish formula, and Theo's never had grain in his life, so if I had to buy another food, it would have to be high protein/fat. Our doggy boutique owner suggested Fromm. Anyone tried it/ liked it?
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Ringo, Oct 18 8:18 pm

Theo

nom nom nom

Barked: Mon Oct 15, '12 6:21pm PST 
We finished our last Advanced Obedience class today, and Theo did an excellent job. The training group I go to just finished a giant new facility, so I stuck around afterwards to talk to one of the instructors and started watching the agility class going on. And oh dear, I caught the sport bug.

We're already enrolled in a recallers course on mondays starting next week, but before I left tonight, I enrolled us in an intro to agility class starting next Thursday! I'm so excited, and I know Theo is going to love doing some active training. Stay proofing is so boring. laugh out loud

I was planning on doing obedience only until we took our first rally class, but I couldn't help myself. He may be more of an agility dog than a rally dog anyway. Hopefully we'll both love it.

In the meantime, does anyone have some tips on how to get Theo to tug more consistently out of the house? I'd love to tug in the recallers class and once we start running courses, but I'm not sure how well he'll take to that instead or in addition to treating.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Theo, Oct 19 10:06 pm

Sports & Agility > A good first step (agility and rally)

Theo

nom nom nom

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 3:41pm PST 
Theo got his CGC a week ago now and we're trying to decide what to work on next. I just want to try everything with him! We know for sure we're going to do therapy work when his puppy energy subsides a little, but in the mean time, I think I'm going to take an intro to rally and competitive obedience class at my training facility and then an agility prep class afterwards.

I know he'd make a great rally dog, but I was unsure if he'd like agility until yesterday when my my training class got to go on an agility prep course, and he did great! He LOVED being on the balance beam, and trotted through the ladder like it was nothing. He was unsure of the tunnel and wobble board at first, but started to get the hang of the tunnel and got lots of cookies on the wobble board. Just bragging a little. :]

This is my first topic in this subforum, so I might as well ask if anyone has any big suggestions for us newcomers. I can't wait to be able to brag about Theo's progress (and mine) when we get in the actual classes. :]
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Miyu CGC, Oct 5 10:12 pm

Sports & Agility > Agility for the Spectator
Theo

nom nom nom

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 3:27pm PST 
Ah thank you so much! This is a wonderful article, and I'm so glad I found it now instead of in a few months when we start doing our first agility classes! :] I'll be using this more than once.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by MACH4 PACH2 Aslan, Oct 3 12:28 pm

(Page 1 of 15: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.