GO!

(Page 1 of 48: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Bailee has Lyme Disease...
Gus & Grace

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 9:28am PST 
I have Lyme Disease... Chronic Lyme.

I'm sorry Bailee has it frown

Gus was bitten by a tick earlier this year. I had him put on doxy - 30 days.... We stopped it at 30 days because he had no symptoms. smile

However, if he did have symptoms I would have had him treated just like a person: I would have continued treatment until 4 weeks after the symptoms stopped.

If Bailee is still having pain in his legs - I would not stop the antibiotic.

Lyme has a 4 week life cycle. So it's important to go 4 weeks after symptoms subside to make sure you kill all of it. Otherwise you may stop and any left over will reproduce and you will be back to square one in another 4 weeks.

You could also try Ledum - it works well for Lyme Disease in animals....

just my thoughts.

Pats for Bailee
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Penny, Feb 11 9:21 am

Dog Health > Dew claw infection
Gus

did someone say- 'cheese'??

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 9:19am PST 
Oh,

And he has had blood work done... about 3 weeks ago. And all of it came back perfect. So I don't see any flags for an AI disorder... unless regular labs wouldn't show any abnormalities....

Both our usual vet and this other vet we saw today said he probably snagged it.

If it keeps happening, and they think it is from snagging... I think they need to come off. But we might have to wait until the infection clears.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 17 10:36 am

Gus

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 8:55am PST 
Thanks Vance.

Unfortunately we couldn't see our usual vet, or the other vet in the office we prefer.

We had to see the vet who doesn't exactly like me... I'm a very proactive and "hands on" owner and this particular vet seems to have issues with that.

When we showed up, Gus had (still has) a fever - which he didn't have Friday when our usual vet saw him. But this vet's response was: "I've seen much worse. Just give him a benadryl."

Then she went off about how when a dog licks their paws it gives them a high and becomes behavioral. So maybe Gus needs to be on some psychiatric medication.

This was after I had to tell her 5 times that Gus has not been licking his paws. The paw has been wrapped and he has been wearing a cone. I haev health issues of my own so I am at home all day - I am with my dogs 24/7... I know that he is not licking his foot. If he was, the bandage would be messed with... Unless he has learned to rewrap his own foot...

I'm concerned that he has a fever.

I called our usual vet - I have her cell number. Waiting to hear back from her.

It is his front paw.... His are not that well attached, and he doesn't use them. I know some dogs do... I had past dogs who did -- used them to hold toys/chews... Gus's are not that attached and are just there...

But removing them was a "would this stop the infection" kind of thing....

I worry.... and I don't like infections.

Will wait on his vet to call.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 17 10:36 am

Gus

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 5:36am PST 
Ah, sorry Jim... I forgot to answer your question smile

No - it wasn't over grown. We keep his nails short. He's really good about nail clipping.

We think he hurt it playing. But at the appointment, the vet said the joint was good, the nail wasn't cracked.

It started with just the "toe" of the dew claw getting red, then it started getting puffier (that's when I took him in).

We've been doing the cream for over a week now, soaks, and started orals 3 days ago. Will see what the vet says...
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Dec 17 10:36 am

Gus

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 5:06am PST 
I didn't take him to the vet until later.... As I said - not our first paw issue. So for the first few days I did what we usually do when he has a red pad or sore.

It has no openings... no sore, no tear.... no bleeding, no draining.

So the delay in antibiotics was my fault.... not the vet.

Will see what they say.... Thanks smile
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Dec 17 10:36 am

Gus

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '12 8:22pm PST 
Gus's front dew claw is infected.

This is day 11 of the infection itself.

Day 1-7 I did soaks at home

Day 1-5 tried using Colodial silver and tea tree oil.

Day 6 - 11 applied an antibiotic and antifungal cream

Day 8 - 11 started oral antibiotic

Vet said to wrap it... I use vet wrap at night, because I can't watch him (even with a cone)....

And we use cotton gauze during the day so it can breathe, but still be wrapped.

It is getting worse. Puffy, red, and the red is starting to spread down and up. The big pad on his foot - the side near the dew claw is getting red and puffy.

The skin going up toward the little pad up near his ankle is red and hot...

I'm taking him to the vet first thing in the morning.

Would removing the dew claw be a good option at this point?

This is not the first infection he has had. But this one is not going away.

With Christmas coming up, I'm worried he would get really sick (spreading infection) and there wouldn't be a vet available nearby (ours closes 2 days)....
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Dec 17 10:36 am

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > home cook with Dr. H's veg-to-bowl - for liver damage

Grace

it's a big, big- world out there!

Barked: Sat Oct 20, '12 6:50pm PST 
Hi,

I am needing to simplify things for a bit. I have a health condition and just started a new treatment... plus I was sort of thrown quickly into the "home cook" pot and don't feel educated enough on proper nutrients just yet...

Grace's health condition called for some quick changes.... and so one day she was eating dog food and now we are home cook... I don't mind it, they like it better... but I worry.

I was told to make a bunch of food and freeze it. But Gracie won't eat veggies that have been cooked, frozen, and thawed. She just won't. So I end up wasting food and having to make more food. She isn't in a place where I can let her go without if she chooses not to eat...she has to eat.

So I looked at Dr. Harvey's Veg-To-Bowl mix.... Does anyone use this? I got some today to try... it has all the veggies Grace's vet recommends she gets each week (beets are great for liver dogs).... Plus it has some vitamins added to it so thinking that will help me feel more secure in feeding until I can do more research.

Thinking I just add this to some grain and protein....

Just wanted to know if anyone has used this?

Any supplements that can be added to home cook to cover all possible missing needs?

She cannot have organ meats. She's on a low protein diet due to liver damage.

Just worried she (and my other dog, Gus) is not getting all she needs to get....
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Maxwell, Oct 20 11:18 pm

Dog Health > looking for LIQUID multivitamin - home cook diet

Grace

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 1:47pm PST 
Thanks smile

My vet actually recommended using a children's liquid vitamin (no iron)! So we will be going out to get that today.... natural foods store only.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Sep 27 7:49 am

Dog Health > looking for LIQUID multivitamin - home cook diet

Grace

Barked: Tue Sep 25, '12 11:51am PST 
Grace has liver disease. This means she does not always eat well.

We home cook due to special dietary needs.

Most people use mix-in powders that contain all the vitamins needed to make the diet complete... But since Grace has "bad days" and won't eat, or only eats a small bit of her food.... I can't rely on mix-ins

Does anyone use a good qualify liquid multivitamin for dogs?

Thanks
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Sep 27 7:49 am

Dog Health > liver biopsy? - worth it? or no?
Grace

Barked: Wed Sep 19, '12 10:22pm PST 
We are waiting on her BAT.

The ALT levels aren't a reliable test... so waiting on her BAT. if it is better than her last - that will be great.

Her liver damage is due to a "vaccine injury".... so her treatment has been slightly different.

We do a lot of natural supports and detoxing. She's on a special diet - low protein, low fat. She has responded well. Eating better, more energy, more puppy like. Her levels aren't great. She has fewer "bad days".

Not sure the risk of a biopsy is worth it for Grace. Not sure she could survive them on top of a spay. frown

Thinking her treatment wouldn't change much even if the biopsy came back showing a form of MVD. sigh.

So not sure it's worth it.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Frankie, Sep 25 1:51 pm

(Page 1 of 48: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.