Postings by Nikolai's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

Belgian Malinois > Callous on elbows at 4 months?
Gambit

Barked: Mon Jun 30, '14 2:32pm PST 
Eek, sorry for the double post.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Gambit, Jun 30 2:32 pm

Belgian Malinois > Callous on elbows at 4 months?
Gambit

Barked: Mon Jun 30, '14 2:30pm PST 
You know, I had an Akita a while back that got callouses on his elbows even though he was an indoor only dog from 11 weeks, with access to dog beds, carpet, three human beds, and couch. None of the other dogs in the household (with fosters we were up to 6 at one point, none under 40lbs) had any callouses at all.

I tried keeping that dog off hard surfaces, tried putting lotion on his elbows when the callouses were first forming, had him sleep in a crate full of pillows for a while.. he was just determined to have those ugly elbows. laugh out loud

No solution, sorry! I feel you, though!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Gambit, Jun 30 2:32 pm

Belgian Malinois > Malinois mix?

Gambit

Barked: Sat Mar 15, '14 2:39pm PST 
Looks like a very handsome german shepherd mix to me. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Gambit, Mar 15 2:39 pm

Belgian Malinois > 7mo old Malinois puppy. Very.. very calm..

Gambit

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 10:27am PST 
He's amazing. smile

He HAS destroyed a couch, a crate (not even his..), a table, and many many toys since the last time I posted here, lol shrug but he makes up for it in spades by being the most loving, loyal, funny, fun, protective, handsome, momma's boy dog I've ever had the joy of having in my home.

It is a shame how many mals are being irresponsibly bred in this area. I never saw them at all and then suddenly this past year they're everywhere. :/

Your girl is beautiful!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Gambit, Jan 2 10:27 am

Belgian Malinois > 7mo old Malinois puppy. Very.. very calm..

Gambit

Barked: Thu Aug 15, '13 9:04am PST 
Hi guys.
I have a 7mo old Mali puppy here, 62lb big male, vet says he's healthy, shots utd, no parasites or anything.. but he is just a bump on a log!

He does play, but has nothing near the amount of energy I was expecting. I'm thinking maybe he's just reserved because he's unsure.

He did come from a pretty bad situation. His first seven months were spent out in a kennel with a group of malinois that were fighting the whole time I was there to evaluate him, and he just cowered from me and flinched at their noises the whole time and was covered in scars and (minor) wounds.

I've only had him a few weeks, so I'm hoping he'll perk up. What do you guys think?

[edit] He's starting to find some energy now, but I think he's just a passive boy. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Gambit, Jan 2 10:27 am

Belgian Malinois > Bel mals and other dogs
Nikolai

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '13 1:47pm PST 
Tell me about how your malinois are with other dogs. (:
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Jax, May 3 11:16 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Ideas (Mostly for fun)

Nikolai

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 8:59pm PST 
Opheila - Aw, lol, I'm sorry then! I guess I'm not that much of a cat person. red face I like cats plenty.. as long as they're someone else's!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Nikolai, Jan 4 8:59 pm

Nikolai

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 12:58pm PST 
A coonhound! There's a breed I hadn't even considered! Thank you for the suggestion, I'll definitely give them a good look. I can hear him now baby-talking over those floppy ears, haha.

I mentioned them to him and his first reaction was 'Ugh, a hound? confused Aren't they loud and smelly and dumb?', but then I rambled off some of the traits from random sites and showed him some videos and he agreed they were probably delightful.

Dahlia- I think a grey would be a great match for him, but they fall under his 'sticky' category. shrug

I think the coonhound suggestion is probably the best breed we've considered, for him. This requires more research!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Nikolai, Jan 4 8:59 pm

Nikolai

Barked: Tue Jan 1, '13 7:56am PST 
Don't be rude, please. ("Um, have you considered a cat or two perhaps?")

I handle the structure and training side of our dog house. He prefers to spend the little time he HAS on coddling and spoiling his dogs.

He has two dogs currently and they are handled just fine by him. His younger dog is a pound rescue husky/shepherd best guess and he can be a challenging, guarding, snappy snot, which my partner is willing to handle, he just doesn't like to. A breed less prone to be snotty and testing would be preferred.

The 'rules' side of thing is well handled. That's my thing. His thing is the uninhibited personality of dogs.

Miyu- I'm into training, he's not. He thinks a trained dog is a robot, I think an untrained dog is a wild animal. It's not a point of strife, it's just a difference of opinions. We have five dogs together and no one's suffering for it. laugh out loud

Bryce- I think a smooth collie falls under his 'sticky' category. I tried pointing a couple out to him at the eukanuba show recently and he didn't seem too interested. (He was distracted by the cane corso nearby. naughty )
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Nikolai, Jan 4 8:59 pm

Nikolai

Barked: Mon Dec 31, '12 11:09am PST 
Mulder, a soft older rotty was what I was thinking, too. We're also thinking about danes and he likes greater swiss but I don't know much about them and I'm not sure he does either.

Alyssum- He wants a big chunky cuddly dog that he can roll around on and sleep with and wrestle. As fun as our little dog is, he wants a big. smile
The other aesthetic stuff, like drooliness and fluffiness, isn't that important.

More about him..
He works 5-7 days/week, usually around 10hrs per day but frequently longer. He thinks trained dogs are 'robots' and doesn't want to 'squash a dog's personality'. He thinks dogs can do no wrong and if they're snotty that's just who they are and it's ok because they're dogs and that's what dogs do. I drag him to the dog park but otherwise his idea of exercise is propping the door open so the dogs can run in the yard. He hates to even tell a dog 'no' and wants to be able to be 100% nice to a dog and have the dog be nice back.

I'll be around for the rules and structure side of things, but the less I have to do, the better.
Should also be noted, before any conclusions are jumped to, we own a house and two cars together, are essentially though not legally married, and I am around all day. His lack of time is only worth mentioning because a super active dog would be overwhelming for him.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Nikolai, Jan 4 8:59 pm

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.