Postings by Penny's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

Dog Health > Swollen bump under tongue
Lucy

Don't bother- me...i'm- sleeping.

Barked: Mon Sep 8, '14 4:49pm PST 
My 11+ year old mutt was chewing on rawhide Friday night. She loves chewing and will chew and chew and chew until it's gone...there was red tinged areas on the rawhide while she was chewing because she chews so feverishly!. I would say it took her about 2 hours to finish the rawhide. She chewed on a smaller one yesterday morning and finished that one too. Last night i was looking in her mouth and noticed that the underside of the left side of her tongue is swollen and sticking out the side between her teeth. I should also note that she only has molars, canines and one small tooth on the bottom that side , none on top- the rest have been removed during dentals over the years. The spot where the one tiny tooth is looks the worst, almost like that tooth was rubbing her tongue while she chewed. I should also note that this is the side of her mouth she typically chews on. She's had no problems eating
food

or drinking water and doesn't seem to be in pain, she let's me touch it. I have offered her another rawhide, but she isn't chewing it...
Could this just be a little trauma from all the rough chewing she did the other day. A google search is making me nervous because all I find is information on cancer in dogs mouths. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , Sep 10 2:40 pm

Dog Health > Losing hair on tail
Lucy

Barked: Sat Mar 29, '14 5:40pm PST 
She's pretty touchy and vocal, so I think if that happened, I would've heard her. But it's a thought! I checked her out more thoroughly this evening and the tip if her tail is bald too. After reading more about hair problems, it's sounding more and more like she has hypothyroid. We'll be heading to the vet this week I guess.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Lucy, Mar 29 5:40 pm

Dog Health > Losing hair on tail

Lucy

Barked: Fri Mar 28, '14 4:20pm PST 
My 11ish year old mix breed dog has lost a patch of hair on her tail. I just noticed it tonight. She hasn't been itching, biting or scooting at all. It's about an inch away from the base of her tail and is about two inches long on the top of her tail. The skin looks dark and dry. She doesn't seemed to be bothered by it at all. She was just at the vet 2 weeks ago for her yearly checkup and shots and looked great. I googled what this could be, but she doesn't fit most of the symptoms of what it could be. She weighs about 10.5 lbs and has been at this weight her entire life. Any ideas on what this might be? I'd like to watch it and see if it gets worse/better before running her into the vet right away.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Lucy, Mar 29 5:40 pm

Behavior & Training > Terrible anxiety

Penny

When's the walk?

Barked: Tue Dec 17, '13 9:12am PST 
Thank you for the response!
Yes, she does have a spot in the house that she likes to go to - she either goes under my bed or lays on my bed. Last night I found her on the bed sound asleep, so she must feel comfortable there (plus I don't think she can hear the neighbor kids as well there.) I tried ignoring her panting and pacing, so she must've just gone in there and fell asleep.
I'm hoping that if I ignore the behavior, she'll see that she's not going to get attention and maybe this will work. I tried reassuring her everything was ok - but that seemed to make things worse. Sometimes it's hard to ignore, but i'm going to have to keep it up I think.
Thanks again - I'll update more when we get the thundershirt - it should be delivered today or tomorrow.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Dec 17 11:10 am

Behavior & Training > Terrible anxiety

Penny

When's the walk?

Barked: Mon Dec 16, '13 5:52pm PST 
I posted last month about my 2.5 year old Shih-Tzu/Sheltie mix and her anxiety issues.
After a trip to the vet and some bloodwork, we found out that she had elevated white blood cells (27,000). After two rounds of antibiotics the latest blood draw (last Monday - Dec. 9th) showed the infection was gone and everything was back to normal. Except the pacing and panting and hiding. I've determined that she's reacting to my upstairs neighbors (the kids are jumping and running) and just loud noises in general. From the advice from the vet she's on 1/2 of a 10 mg Amitriptyline pill (1.5 pills made her legs weak). Shes been on this for 1 full week. I've really not seen much improvement. He told me to try a calming collar as well so I went out Sunday and bought a sentry calming collar for her, which does seem to take the edge off a little. I also ordered her a thundershirt which should be delivered this week. Does anyone have any experience with thundershirts? Can she wear this all the time? I was hoping the amitriptyline would work faster, but it hasn't. Should I give it more than a week or should I be calling the vet to see if he can give her something else?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Dec 17 11:10 am

Dog Health > Dealing with anxiety
Penny

When's the walk?

Barked: Mon Dec 16, '13 1:51pm PST 
I posted last month about my 2.5 year old Shih-Tzu/Sheltie mix and her anxiety issues.
After a trip to the vet and some bloodwork, we found out that she had elevated white blood cells (27,000). After two rounds of antibiotics the latest blood draw (last Monday - Dec. 9th) showed the infection was gone and everything was back to normal. Except the pacing and panting and hiding. I've determined that she's reacting to my upstairs neighbors (the kids are jumping and running) and just loud noises in general. From the advice from the vet she's on 1/2 of a 10 mg Amitriptyline pill (1.5 pills made her legs weak). Shes been on this for 1 full week. I've really not seen much improvement. He told me to try a calming collar as well so I went out Sunday and bought a sentry calming collar for her, which does seem to take the edge off a little. I also ordered her a thundershirt which should be delivered this week. Does anyone have any experience with thundershirts? Can she wear this all the time? I was hoping the amitriptyline would work faster, but it hasn't. Should I give it more than a week or should I be calling the vet to see if he can give her something else?
Any advise on helping a dog with anxiety issues would be greatly appreciated
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Penny, Dec 16 1:51 pm

Dog Health > Panting, hiding and needy. What's up?

Penny

When's the walk?

Barked: Tue Nov 19, '13 6:29am PST 
I know it sounds silly, but I'm happy that it's 'something' too - I hope the antibiotics take care of everything and she's back to her happy self in no time. I was really sad thinking that she was so anxious and nervous.
[notify]
» There has since been -2 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Nov 19 3:59 pm

Penny

When's the walk?

Barked: Mon Nov 18, '13 6:23pm PST 
Well, I just heard back from the vet on Penny's bloodwork and he said she has an infection. Her white blood cell count was 27,000, normal is 17,000. He told me to stop the amitriptyline and come in in the morning to pick up an antibiotic. He thought for sure it was behavioral as there was nothing obvious and she hasn't run a fever at all (I've been checking her everyday.)
Thanks again for the support and advice. I'm so so happy I decided to take her in to get checked out!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Nov 19 3:59 pm

Penny

When's the walk?

Barked: Mon Nov 18, '13 8:57am PST 
Thank you again for all of the replies. She seems to be doing a tiny bit better. She laid with me on on the couch last night (but hid her head under the blanket). She seems pretty sleepy too - I'm guessing its a side effect of the amitriptyline? and has a little diarrhea. I'm waiting on the vet today to hear what the results of her blood work are.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Nov 19 3:59 pm

Penny

When's the walk?

Barked: Sun Nov 17, '13 10:45am PST 
Thank you for the replies. I don't necessarily want to keep her on meds, but I do want to see how they help her. After I get the blood results back, I will assess the future with the vet. I will also look in to a trainer. I've never experienced this with a dog, so I just don't know what to do/how to handle it, so I rally appreciate all of you comments. Also, the photo of her was from the first day I got her, so she probably was very stressed. I have noticed that her breath was stinky on Friday when she was panting so much.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Nov 19 3:59 pm

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.