Close X

Postings by Qira's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 123: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Glucosamine Dog Treat Recipe?
Qira

The Diva

Barked: Mon Nov 12, '12 2:43pm PST 
Does anyone out there have a recipe for dog treats that includes glucosamine? Salmon oil would also be a bonus. It would obviously have to be a no-bake one as baking glucosamine can change the properties of it.

Thanks.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Feb 7 10:15 pm

Sports & Agility > Questions about Rally
Qira

The Diva

Barked: Sun Jan 29, '12 6:58pm PST 
We are looking to start competeing in Rally very soon, and we were hoping you guys could answer a few questions for us.

A little background info - Qira is fairly well trained in the OB department, in German, mainly. She heels, sits, downs and waits very well on command. I think we would do pretty good in Rally, and it would be fun to get some titles on her!
We attempted to start a pet obedience class a few months ago, just after I had gotten her, with plans to move on to the next level (CGC) then the competitive obedience and rally classes, and so on, but I did not like how the place was run, so we quit and I have just been working with her by myself. We've made a lot of progress! She comes to work with me every night, and I rarely have her on-leash, she just listens that well.

I feel that we are CLOSE to being competition ready, I just am not sure how I can know for sure. We are still working on the call-to-front deal, and a few little things like that.

Anyway, onto my questions...

1. How do you know for sure when you are ready? How do you train for the ring?

2. What is a day at the trial like? Do you go in the ring once, and that's that? How do titles work, and how do you know if you got one?

3. What should you bring to the trial?

4. What "little things" do judges look for that could help/harm your score?

5. Is it best to start off at one of the multiple-day shows, or just a one-day show?

6. Are people generally pretty nice at shows? When I showed my cat in the HHP ring, 99% of the people were total pricks!

7. Do you know of any good youtube videos that outline what the signs mean? I have always been a visual person, LOL.

If I think of more, I will post them... hope you can help me!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Mack CD RE CGC, Feb 3 2:19 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Only West German? (Tiller/Cain)

Dallas

Captain Dallas

Barked: Sat Jun 11, '11 12:17pm PST 
Ah. Gotcha. Mulder is a very handsome dog at that!

From what I know they are no longer registered as DDR or East German, it's all just one thing now... or something like that anyway.

You have to go back a few generations on PDB to find a dog listed as DDR, but that doesn't mean that they aren't out there still.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Bruno CGC, Jun 12 12:32 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Only West German? (Tiller/Cain)

Dallas

Captain Dallas

Barked: Fri Jun 10, '11 2:41pm PST 
There are still East German (DDR) breeders out there, you just need to know where to find them.

I personally have a soft spot for those Dark Sable Czech dogs, like those from the Pohrancini lines.

You should check out pedigreedatabase.com... they have a HUGE GSD community.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Bruno CGC, Jun 12 12:32 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Good, Reputable Sheltie Breeders

Dallas

Captain Dallas

Barked: Fri Jun 10, '11 2:36pm PST 
Thank you for posting! I have sent you an e-mail, and hope to hear back soon!

In the meantime, my options are still open, so feel free to suggest breeders!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Ch.GG's Let's Show Off In Blue, Jun 14 6:21 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Pick a dog from each breed group!
Dallas

Captain Dallas

Barked: Thu Jun 9, '11 11:00pm PST 
Sporting Group - Golden Retriever
Love Goldens.... they are perfect dogs - smart, sweet... Can't go wrong there.
Also like Flat-Coated Retrievers.

Toy Group - Papillion
They are cute, and do really well at Agility. I like a dog I can work. smile

Terrier Group - Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier
I think they are in the Terrier group? At any rate, I have a friend with one and I love him to pieces.... awesome, awesome dog, but he has a lot of health issues. Has a problem with chewing and has even eaten finger nail clippers before.

Working Group - Siberian Husky
I adore huskies. They are just awesome. My grandma had one when I was young. And their wolfish good looks are a plus. smile
Also like Doberman Pinschers, Alaskan Malamutes and Beaucerons (think they are Working).

Non-Sporting - Keeshond
Fluffy and adorable.

(ETA... what the heck? It cut off my post!)

Hound - Norwegian Elkhound
The first dog I can remember was a Norwegian Elkhound/GSD.

Herding Group (my fave) - German Shepherd Dog
Ahhh, I love GSD's! The perfect dog - versatile, loyal, protective and beautiful... they'll fight to the death to protect you, herd your sheep, and curl up with your kids at night. Police/Military dogs, see-ing eye dogs, herders, PPD, narcotics detection, SAR, and a wonderful companion at that.
Also love Austalian Shepherds, Belgian Sheepdpgs/Tervurens/Malinois, Shetland Sheepdogs, Border Collies...
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Khloe, Jun 14 4:44 pm

Dallas

Captain Dallas

Barked: Wed Jun 8, '11 7:08pm PST 
I've looked into co-owning before. It's different, according to the breeder.

One of them said I could keep, train, title, do whatever with the dog, as long as I let her use him as a stud. And she would pay for the health cert.s and such. Granted, I later found out that she ain't that great of a breeder (her main stud is a cryptorchid, for example), so I'm glad I didn't go through with it.

Another breeder pretty much was the same way. She had to approve of any training/competitions I entered the dog in, and approve of the stud I were to choose, if I were to choose one. This one, unfortunatly fell through.

I just don't get it. I had no problem finding German Shepherd breeders, but just can't find a good sheltie one that I really like.

shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Ch.GG's Let's Show Off In Blue, Jun 14 6:21 pm

Dallas

Captain Dallas

Barked: Wed Jun 8, '11 5:18pm PST 
And I understand that they are looking out for their dogs, and understand spay-neuter contracts for pet quality pups. Heck, limited registration is almost just as good.

And I'd get a limited registered dog. I have no problem with not breeding, as I said. I just feel that for the money, I want the whole dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Ch.GG's Let's Show Off In Blue, Jun 14 6:21 pm

Dallas

Captain Dallas

Barked: Wed Jun 8, '11 5:16pm PST 
Because if I'm going to show it, it can't be fixed. Besides that, *if* I get the dog titled, health cert., etc., and feel that it would better the breed, I'd consider breeding it. Besides that, fixing *can* have some ill-effects to the dog, and most contracts are within the next 6 mos... if I want a dog for sport and such, I don't want it's growth or drives to be hindered by fixing it.

And no, I would not breed for the money. If at all, I would have a litter. And hey, I may never breed it. In fact, I probably wouldn't, titles or no. I'm just saying if.

Besides, why pay $1000 for something that you are forced to fix? If it's not broken, it don't need fixed.

And I'm sure this post will cause plenty of uproar, but my opinion stands.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Ch.GG's Let's Show Off In Blue, Jun 14 6:21 pm

Dallas

Captain Dallas

Barked: Wed Jun 8, '11 1:11pm PST 
In the coming months I will be *hopefully* getting a dog... ideally, it would be a German Shepherd, but due to living circumstances, I may have to settle for something smaller.

I am not a small dog person, however shelties are something I could handle. I like a dog I can take on walks around the lake, up to the dog park, one that can keep up with the big dogs. I like dogs I can rough house with, not little foo-foo, hide in the corner dogs. I also am looking into getting into dog sports (Agility, Rally/Obedience, Tracking, *possibly* Conformation).

I have a GSD breeder picked out - have for months now, but since I made the decision to think about a sheltie also, I am having the hardest time finding a good, reputable sheltie breeder, so I thought maybe you guys could help me.

My musts in a breeder...
~ Dogs are health tested, hips/elbows OFA certified, etc.
~ Dogs are titled.
~ Pups are AKC registered.
~ I don't like a controlling breeder (makes you sign spay-neuter contracts, health guarantee only if you feed a certain kind of food, etc).

Pluses...
~ Health guarantee.
~ Blue Merle, Bicolor, Blue Bi (not a big fan of Sable Shelties, though some are nice)
~ Breeder temperment tests to see which would be good sport prospects, etc.
~ Close to Omaha, NE.

So if you have any suggestions, please let me know!
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Ch.GG's Let's Show Off In Blue, Jun 14 6:21 pm

(Page 1 of 123: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.