Postings by My Family

GO!

Dog Health > Allergies and How to Handle Them

Gunner

Rut Ro - Did I do that?

Barked: Mon Jan 23, '12 8:37am PST 
Well Gunner has outside allergies and I am not really sure what I should do about them on a regular basis. His eyes get really runny, his skin gets red and itchy, and he chews on his feet when he comes inside. The vet said that he does not need a prescription at this point but that I could give him over the counter allergy medicine (Benadryl). Well I do not feel comfortable giving him Benadryl all the time to help because I am not sure of the potential long term side effects that come with extended use of anything. I bought some puppy wipes so I could wipe his (and Gretchen's - since they are always playing together) coat and feet when they come inside but does anyone else have any recommendations? His allergies are not severe but I hate that he is in discomfort.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 23 9:09 am

Dogs and a Clean Home > Tell me about beagles in the house
Gunner

Rut Ro - Did I do that?

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '12 3:02pm PST 
I have had my Beagle, Gunner, for about 6 months now and he is inside. I have never noticed him having an odd smell (besides gas which can clear a room) or shedding. He had his first bath the other day because he decided to dive into a ditch full of water and he still smells like the shampoo and little fragrance spritz I put on him afterward. Gunner does not run free though.. unless we are playing fetch because of his tendency to not come when called. I think there are some other things you should think about too, as previously stated they are a little stubborn and harder to house train than some other dogs might be (they are food driven so I can get Gunner to mostly listen to commands if I have some treats) and they can howl like crazy. It is a sound you either love or will want to wear earplugs. I grew up with hounds so it doesn't bother me. However, when we go visit my mom and he starts howling it makes her want to scream. Also Gunner is very active and wants constant attention (he has separation anxiety as well) and if he gets bored or feels he should be getting more attention he will act up (sometimes will just look me in the eye and potty inside even though he knows better). You will definitely have to exercise him pretty hard every single day.
However, he is the cutest dog and has stopped traffic twice to be told so (had to brag about my baby a little laugh out loud. He does things that make me laugh and brings more happiness to my life than I ever thought he could. He prances around with his floppy ears and is the most loving, kind animal. He loves children, cats, and other dogs. I myself think the positives outweigh the negatives in Beagles with my lifestyle at least. My boyfriend actually tells me Gunner is pretty much me in canine form. Whether you decide on a Beagle or not I wish you luck in finding which breed fits your life.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Jun 9 11:51 am

Puppy Place > Questions about Spaying my Puppy

Gunner

Rut Ro - Did I do that?

Barked: Thu Dec 29, '11 5:00pm PST 
Yes the girl, Gretchen, is a lab. I spoke more with my vet yesterday and understand why he wants to wait the six months and that I should not have to worry until at least then. Also I looked into some studies on prematurely spaying your dog and the effects it has so I will definitely wait until at least then. Unfortunately no one in my area performs tubal ligations but I appreciate alternative option ideas. Thank you all for your comments.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Dec 29 10:03 pm

Puppy Place > Questions about Spaying my Puppy

Gunner

Rut Ro - Did I do that?

Barked: Wed Dec 28, '11 10:08am PST 
I recently added a female puppy into my family and I currently have a male so naturally I am concerned with the risk for pregnancy. My vet said that he does not spay puppies until they are at least six months old but I have been told they can become pregnant before that. Naturally I could neuter my male dog but I would prefer not to.. silly I know but it is how I feel. I also know that many places have adopted the policy for spaying and neutering at 2 months now. My question is should I stick with my vet and wait out the six months and try to watch the dogs as closely as I possibly can (which is a risk) or maybe go to another vet for this procedure to be safe. I really like my vet but he is old school and in this case I feel like the new policy (as long as it is safe) would be best. Thoughts on the subject?

Also I am going to ask my vet when I go in today if he would make an exception or what he thinks.

This might need to be in the Health Forum but I wasn't sure.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Dec 29 10:03 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Choosing a Puppy: Is the smallest puppy the right choice?

Gunner

Rut Ro - Did I do that?

Barked: Wed Dec 28, '11 9:28am PST 
I just wanted to give you all an update. I did get the smallest little girl and her name is Gretchen. She has been home with us for a little over a week now and her and Gunner get along great. They just love playing together (especially with all their new toys from Christmas). They fit perfectly together although they are quite different. Gunner is very stubborn and wants constant attention whereas Gretchen is more independent and just goes with whatever is going on. Their personalties compliment each other and Gretchen is turning out to be very easy to train which is actually helping Gunner listen better. But they are both super friendly (with cats, other dogs, children) and love to play and seem to have the same high energy level. Also we got our first snow here yesterday and they both loved playing in it. I think they are going to continue to be a great pair.I will post pictures of Gretchen soon. Also all of Gretchen's siblings found great forever homes as well which was the best Christmas present I could ask for.

We are all so happy!
Thanks again and Have a Great New Year Everyone!

Gunner and Gretchen
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Dec 29 12:27 am

Other Barks & Woofs > So, what are you getting your pup for Christmas?
Gunner

Rut Ro - Did I do that?

Barked: Tue Dec 6, '11 5:07pm PST 
Gunner is getting a kibble nibble, a giant hide a squirrel, an over 5 feet tall snake with 12 squeakers, a Chuck it launcher with some balls, a new big peanut butter flavor bone, some holiday dog biscuits, a tire with a rope and other chew toys, and a new leather collar. Oh and a Christmas sweater and stocking.
He is going to be spoiled!
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by , Dec 31 8:12 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Choosing a Puppy: Is the smallest puppy the right choice?

Gunner

Rut Ro - Did I do that?

Barked: Tue Dec 6, '11 3:19pm PST 
These puppies are all healthy and good sized little puppies - even the little one. They have a good mom and we baby them all. I think the smallest one fits best with my current dog and myself so thanks for the comments. I feel confident that it will be a great companion for me and Gunner. It is great to hear stories that prove "runts" in fact do not deserve that stigma put on them. Hopefully everyone takes the time to get other opinions and not just focus on the negative.

Thanks again.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Dec 29 12:27 am

Beagle > Beagles \"HATE\" kennels.........

Gunner

Rut Ro - Did I do that?

Barked: Tue Dec 6, '11 11:22am PST 
I tried to crate train Gunner for a few weeks but he was not having it. Also he has separation anxiety, possibly because he is not at home alone often so when he is he does not adjust well. He is a very active dog but I dog proofed my house and make sure he gets plenty of exercise and he does not get into things.. well at least not while I am gone. When I am home it is like a game to him. Anyway he is pretty good at not having accidents because I got him on a schedule and I just know he has to go out at those certain times and so does he. Also to help with the anxiety I looked up some things and found that 1) make sure your dog has plenty of exercise 2) you could try to leave something that smells like you where the dog likes to lay so they feel safe. It sounds kind of gross to wear an old shirt all day and then give it to your dog but I think it does help some 3) mix up your schedule - if you always get up and take a shower, then eat breakfast, then get your keys and leave then take some extra time to mix it up. Like do things backwards or get your keys and go sit on the couch for 10 minutes. They say the anxiety starts to build the minute your routine starts so they are already amped up before you walk out the door.
Post might be a little late so sorry for that.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Aug 3 11:55 pm

Barked: Tue Dec 6, '11 8:42am PST 
Hello. I am new to Dogster so I am still trying to figure out how to use it. I have a question for everyone though. I am getting a puppy. A neighbors dog got into my mom's fenced in yard somehow while our dog was out there and in heat and she became pregnant. She is getting fixed as soon as the puppies go to their new homes so nothing like this can happen again. Anyway.. I have a beagle currently but I am also giving a home to one of the puppies and I am prone to the smallest little girl in the litter. I have heard a lot of negative comments about the smallest puppies (sometimes referred to as the runt) and that they will become aggressive later. I am just worried about my current dog and the puppy not getting along when she would grow up. Any thoughts or opinions on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if it matters but the puppy I am getting is a lab. Mom's dog is a lab and so is the neighbors. Luckily that is helping find good homes for them - lots of duck hunters in my area!
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Dec 29 12:27 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.