Postings by Ridley's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 438: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Leave it vs drop it
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Sat Aug 9, '14 5:45am PST 
If you teach "leave it" as a general sort of "kill switch" command, where it means stop EVERYTHING that you're doing and drop what you have, there's really no need to teach two separate commands.

That's more or less what I do with mine. "Leave it" means stop, drop, and wait for further instructions laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Nare, Aug 9 8:33 pm

Dog Health > Frontline Stopped Working...How Long Before I Can Apply Advantix?
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Jul 11, '14 1:14am PST 
Wash the dog thoroughly in a soap-based shampoo (ideally just use Dawn dishsoap) and let the dog dry completely.

The soap strips all of the oils off the dog, including the chemicals.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Murphy, Jul 21 11:21 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Service dog | blue pitbull | XXL Pitbull

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Jul 4, '14 8:02pm PST 
Quick question, are all you AmBull guys just buying the same web template off someone and spamming it ad nauseum, or was this what the first "American bully" website looked like and you are all just ripping the web design from it?

Because I have legitimately never seen an AmBull breeder page that didn't look EXACTLY like this.

Just curious.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Aug 23 4:44 pm

Food & Nutrition > free feeding

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Fri Jun 20, '14 1:22am PST 
Lets be reasonable, your dogs are most likely not literally starving in-between feedings. Hungry I'm sure, but who wouldn't be at the end of a long day?

Free feeding is problematic. Most dogs will not self-regulate, especially after they had previously been on a schedule.

My advise would be to stop feeling bad for the dogs. If you are feeding them the correct amount of calories daily, then the "hunger" is just behavioral and your dogs aren't suffering.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Lily, Sep 7 3:57 pm

Behavior & Training > Teaching Callie to be Less Protective?

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Jun 16, '14 5:55pm PST 
Describe these "protective" behaviors. What exactly is he doing, what do you NOT like and what do you expect of him in these situations?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Mulder, Jun 16 5:55 pm

Behavior & Training > Muzzle Trouble
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Jun 16, '14 5:52pm PST 
Right, but by throwing a reactive dog into a group of unfamiliar, uncontrolled dogs you aren't desensitizing anything. You are running the risk of making things worse, AND putting other people's dogs at risk. Every dog has a threshold for reactivity- if yours is as bad as you say, none of the training you are attempting to do will even get through to him, because his mind will be pressured to focus on reacting to the other dogs around him.

Why can't you work on desensitizing outside the walls of the dog park? Work on impulse control, work on focus, use the barrier that the park is providing to you to keep all involved safe. Maybe take your other, non reactive dog to the park alone, talk to some of the people there, build relationships so that you can potentially ask one of these people to help you out with this in an environment that is more controlled, and more responsibly managed.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC, Jun 17 4:11 am

Behavior & Training > Muzzle Trouble

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Jun 16, '14 6:08am PST 
Taking a reactive dog, leashed and or muzzled, into a dog park with a bunch of unfamiliar dogs is just about the worst thing I could possibly imagine for a reactive dog.

Consider a person who is afraid of the water, being thrown into the ocean with their hands tied behind their back with no oxygen mask. This is what you are doing to him.

Not only that, but it is very irresponsible to ask complete strangers, who likely are not more experienced than you are in terms of training or behavior, to put their dogs in the line of fire from a reactive dog who potential WILL back up his threats if pushed far enough (as you yourself have stated).

You mentioned a behaviorist in your other thread... why can't this person hook you up with people to train with? If they've been doing this for any length of time, I can't imagine they don't have a client base they can pull from and offer you SUPERVISED help in safer, more practical situations than this.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC, Jun 17 4:11 am

Puppy Place > Third time seeing neighbor's dog loose...any advice..?

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Thu Jun 12, '14 5:23pm PST 
I would try talking to them at least once more before getting the police involved.

I agree 100% that loose dogs are a problem and need to be dealt with, but as someone who's been in the offender's shoes with a very similar case... my dogs literally figured out how to open the deadbolt lock on my door and were releasing themselves into the neighborhood, happened several times while I was at work before I was able to install a chain lock to stop them... I know how afraid I was each time and how terrified I was that something might happen to my dogs if someone did call the police. I have GSDs too, and there is a certain mortal fear that I have of things like this, where a cop could easily deem my dogs "vicious" just for being GSDs and for being loose and gun them down.

It sounds like the last time the owners were at least yelling to get the dogs back, they weren't just letting them roam.

Maybe break some boundaries here, talk to these people, they might not be the negligent monsters that they seem to be. I didn't really love the somewhat nasty comments my neighbors made to me (they were the ones who actually called to tell me they were out in the first place), but I sure as heck appreciated them letting me know first and not calling the police on them while I was trying to resolve the issue.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Savannah Blue Belle, Jun 13 6:02 am

Food & Nutrition > TOTW alternativies

Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Tue Jun 10, '14 9:47pm PST 
So... your correlation here is that because you've seen some dogs eating raw or high protein diets, those MUST be the causes of their illness?

Interesting. You also claim to have seen thousand of dogs... do you attribute diet to ALL of these cases? Or has it been that you've literally never run across a dog in all your thousands that was eating Purina or Kibbles n Bits with a serious health concern?

Or, just maybe this fad of killing dogs isn't a fad at all, that many of these extremely ill dogs you see have moved to these diets BECAUSE they are ill. I don't believe for a minute that you've carried on a personal dialog with every single one of the patients you've seen with cancer/etc and that all report to having been feed orijen or raw from birth to death.

Keep your head on right here, remember that dogs have only been eating cereal grain based diets for the last 70 years or so, and that people, MANY people have been including raw or cooked meats into their animals diets even AFTER the advent of kibble, yet somehow dogs remain despite arguably LESS dogs having these things included in their diets today.

Don't trivialize things like cancer by throwing around baseless claims and pointing the finger at raw foods and high protein diets with absolutely no credible evidence to back it up.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Zeke, Jul 20 3:50 am

Food & Nutrition > TOTW alternativies
Mulder

Spooky Mulder

Barked: Mon Jun 9, '14 6:35pm PST 
"very high levels of protein in a dog’s diet increases their risk of cancer and will cause weight gain."

Please provide your documented case studies, thank you.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Zeke, Jul 20 3:50 am

(Page 1 of 438: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.