Postings by Magee's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 14: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > For everyone who lost their furkid(s)
Daisy Mae

water=heaven!

Barked: Mon Jan 16, '12 7:41am PST 
They're waiting for you:

ht tp://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=332713633416213&set=a.149454471 742131.21909.148940208460224&type=1&theater
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by TYLER, Jan 16 2:08 pm

Behavior & Training > CGC with Foster Dog?
Ruby

Are you gonna- eat that?

Barked: Sun Jan 15, '12 8:16pm PST 
I absolutely think getting a CGC would help this dog find a forever home. Any and all training would help but to have that title would be an accomplishment.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ruby , Jan 15 8:16 pm

Senior Dogs > When do the white hairs come? Help me with my dogs age.

Sunshine

Topps Sumo's- Sunshine, CGC- ThD

Barked: Sun Jan 15, '12 7:42pm PST 
Sunny just turned 6 last week & we've been finding white on his muzzle & mostly chin for months now. Magee is 9, is diabetic & has glaucoma, they both have the same coat (dark brindle), Magee's father is Sunny's grandfather. They're both bullmastiffs, a breed not known for longevity. Magee doesn't have a spot of white on her yet. Go figure.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Natasha 美花 ~Beautiful Flower~, Jun 25 3:26 am

Senior Dogs > losing eye sight

Magee

Barked: Mon Jan 2, '12 7:46pm PST 
Magee is 9 yrs old, diabetic, & blind from glaucoma. It was also pretty sudden. Bullmasiffs aren't super energetic to begin with, so we didn't see much change when she lost her eyesight. We don't move the furniture much, except for the fact that Bella eats couches & we have to drag the old one out & the new one in(that's a whole other story..). But we put the new one right where the old one was, & we blcok off the room so that Magee can't get in & get lost until the new couch is in place. Magee has a special chair that only she uses. She gets into her chair when it's time to get her blood sugar tested, & gets down when she hears the dog food hit the bowl; goes directly into the kitchen without bumping anything. Sometimes she walks into the furniture on the deck, but she's learned to keep her head down so she doesn't bump her nose or her eyes. The only other thing she walks into is the occasional dog. They're pretty forgiving; they just move for old Aunt Magee. Your dog will adjust; dogs can live very well without sight.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Magee, Jan 2 7:46 pm

Senior Dogs > losing eye sight

Magee

Barked: Mon Jan 2, '12 7:35pm PST 
I also had a lab who went blind overnight, from SARDS. It was much more traumatic for me than him, although the vet said be careful; he might be a little jumpy for awhile. He wasn't. I noticed however that he was a little more clingy with me & the kids, & he got a little depressed about chasing his tennis ball. Wouldn't even try it. He was still able to run the fenceline with the neighbor's dog, though. Like everyone else, we didn't move the furniture. The kids - they were young at the time - would forget & leave stuff like shoes & books on the floor, but he would stumble, stop & go around the stuff. His nose still worked, & he eventually began to echolocate; he would perk his ears up & turn his head back & forth, all the while sniffing. Our floors were wood & vinyl; no carpet; so I wore flip flops all the time so that he could hear me wherever I was in the house.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Magee, Jan 2 7:46 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > All In my head
Ruby

Are you gonna- eat that?

Barked: Sat Nov 19, '11 6:25pm PST 
"This man and people like him will never understand." Happy, you're right. They never WILL understand, because they can't SEE the problem you're having that requires you to have a service dog. They don't know what goes on in your head. Example: I've been fighting constant chronic pain in my hip for a couple of years now; no one sees it or understand it. However while I don't understand your condition, I would never assume that you, or anyone else, is milking the system, as that idiot insinuated.
I'm sorry you have to go through this kind of thing. You have enough on your plate. I don't have any answers for you, but I can tell you that there are probably more people in the world that accept your need for a dog, than idiots like this guy. Keep your chin up. You know your needs more than John Q. Public.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ruby , Nov 19 6:25 pm

Dog Health > heat help!

Daisy Mae

water=heaven!

Barked: Sat Jul 23, '11 9:44pm PST 
I live in Saunaland (AKA Florida) with a friend & her 4 bullmastiffs, another "shovelface" breed. We don't have AC either, but the dogs have all grown up without it & have adjusted. They too pant all day, but we hose them down; & the 15 month old will slop around in a kiddie pool. Getting their feet & armpits(?)wet seem to help the most. They then come in & lay in front of the fan. Our water here doesn't get really cold from the faucet, like the water in northern states (I used to live in Michigan)so it doesn't shock them; but it's enough to cool them down. It's kind of a shame that bullmstiffs sink like rocks in water, because we're 10 minutes away from the ocean. They don't like it..I love the ice in front of the fan idea. How do you keep them from eating the ice or drinking the ice water? When these guys are hot they get sick if they drink really cold water or eat ice cubes.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Snickers, Jul 24 12:59 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > AKC & Therapy Dogs

Daisy Mae

water=heaven!

Barked: Sat Jul 23, '11 9:27pm PST 
I was reading an article in the AKC Gazette & thought I would pass this on...AKC is now offering a "title" to all AKC dogs who happen to also be therapy dogs. The dog can either be a registered AKC purebred, or registered Canine Partner or Alternative Listing. The dog must have 50 hours of therapy work, that can be documented, with an organization that has partnered with AKC. There's a link on AKC site to view the therapy organizations; also an application for title. I'm pleased that AKC has finally chosen to recognize the dogs that work for hugs, & they don't have to be "purebred" dogs. My friend, who has 3 registered therapy dogs,who also happen to be AKC registered bullmastiffs, says a good dog has letters on both side of their name. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Daisy Mae, Jul 23 9:27 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > I got a card in the mail.

Daisy Mae

water=heaven!

Barked: Thu Jun 9, '11 8:41pm PST 
When my 16 yr old cat was p.t.s., we got a card from the emergency clinic about 6 weeks after she was gone. She was my best friend; she's been gone for 20+ years & I still think of her every day. When I got that card, I just broke down all over again. It was really thoughtful of them to send it, but I was just at the point where I was recovering. I still have the card, & I come across it every once in awhile. It still hurts & I cry a little.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Jun 29 2:34 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Dedee
Daisy Mae

water=heaven!

Barked: Sat Jun 4, '11 2:12pm PST 
So the lady I live with loves bullmastiffs. She had 5, until today. Her oldest, Ch. Shadow of Bandog Deedee, had to be pts due to a large mass in her abdomen. Deedee was 10 1/2 yrs old; that's a good long life for a bullmastiff. She was a holy terror in her younger years; very dog aggressive, except for her "pack" at home. She had days where she was goofy & silly, & days where she'd roar at you if you looked at her. She's always been like that. When she was in the conformation ring, Deedee's motto was "If you can't beat 'em, eat 'em". She got her championship at 15 months old.
I absoltuely loved that dog. I didn't know her in her younger days, where she could do some serious damage to anything she wanted. I've only known her for about 3 years. She was glorious; she was amazing. She reminded me of a retired weight lifter; a little flabby and a lot of power.
Her owner is across the state, attending the funeral of one of her best friends (also co-owner of her youngest dog). So I had the honor of taking Deedee in and helping her along the way to the rainbow bridge. It hurts so bad.
I just hope that when I get to heaven Deedee will be there to meet me too, even tho she wasn't my dog. I'm gonna miss her every day.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Foxy, Jun 7 9:22 am

(Page 1 of 14: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.