Postings by Opheila's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 109: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Hi all
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Tue Apr 15, '14 10:57am PST 
What terrific pictures and such gorgeous pups!!!!
We haven't had a lot of fun up to now this season. First gasps of Spring. We didn't see our front lawn for two months...seriously, freakiest snow storms in many years.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Tyler , Tue 11:25 am

Behavior & Training > Aggression in car towards other dogs
Opheila

Barked: Tue Apr 15, '14 10:51am PST 
I don't know if this is a behavior that can be redirected or minimized in some way. Up until recently Sophie was kinda bipolar with this. She could be happily running in the park with another dog. Then see the same dog a few minutes later from the car and be flinging herself at the dashboard. Out of the car and she'd be instantly mellow again...with the same dog.
Frustration? Being too dumb to realize the dog outside is the SAME dog? I don't know. She did start turning on dogs in public but it didn't happen until after about eight years. She even barks like a nut at places where she saw a cat or squirrel or other dog once, guess she expects if she barks loud enough they'll magically appear again?

Callie on the other hand is silent in the car. Maybe some deep growls at the gas station guys coming too close. But people, other dogs, cats, squirrels...he'll glance at them. Then give a sigh and lay on the seat until we get where we're going.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Tue 10:51 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > I want to cry. my service dog bit me!

Opheila

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '14 4:22pm PST 
I'm so sorry this happened to you but as long as it doesn't become a habit I'd give your dog some leeway. If it happens again, some refresher training might be in order. But really...dogs, cats can be testy sometimes and it doesn't mean they're turning on you. It's okay, just make it clear it's not going to happen again.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Link, Wed 1:04 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR INPUT!

Opheila

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '14 4:16pm PST 
I know it's totally unethical but I would dognap Mya back...but that's just me. Best of luck and thoughts are with youmeditate
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Twister, Fri 7:06 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > I Need Pictures!

Caledonia

Sad-Eyed Doggie- of the Lowlands

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '14 4:13pm PST 
Sure, Callie is a regular AmBull poster boy! PM me if you're interested.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Star BN RN RA, Today 5:18 pm

Behavior & Training > So Very Proud of My Boy
Caledonia

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '14 1:00pm PST 
Sigh, I had a day from hell yesterday. Long complicated back story. But in a nutshell there's a deranged distant relative that terrorized us a few years back. Then we just had Sophie. Yeah protective bully breeds indeed. She disappeared in the house and only when the dust had cleared and the police long left did she come back out.

Yesterday was the awful notice that this idiot was back in town for the day. This time I called the police first. They sent an officer out. Better to have them write a report and keep an eye on the house than let things go and have a houseful of them maintaining order.

The officer knocked on the front door and Callie the tank threw himself at the screen. I picked him up and scooted him back in the house. Then I sat of the steps to give the report. The night passed without incident but it was a really bad day. But it made me appreciate my boy all the more. Someone who you know will keep you safe and would give their life for you.

The reporting officer said himself "NOBODY would be crazy enough to try to get past that dog". Given the situation it was a high compliment. Not easy finding anyone human or canine that you can put that much trust into. I walked back into the house all shaky and freaked n' wrapped my arms around those big old shoulders. A dog with muscles ripped enough you can give him a human bear hug. That's why whenever I hear bias against "pit bull type dogs" I get so angry.

Of course it's based on ignorance. Half the people who support breed ban laws don't know the slightest thing about actual breeds...a bull terrier, a Dogo, a Presario, a boxer mutt...all the same kind of dog right? Pit bull is shorthand for some fantasy beast that eats children. Boxy head, deep chest, stubby back legs and big teeth. Yup they can pick out a bull easy.

Strangely enough those same people might look at an English bull dog and see cute. I don't understand it. But seeing my big boy at night, heaving a human sounding sigh and sleeping on my chest, no I don't understand the haters. Callie is the sweetest guy I've ever loved.little angel
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kali, Mon 4:39 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Rescue dogs vs Breeder (rant)

Caledonia

Barked: Fri Apr 11, '14 4:55pm PST 
I think people just tend to get overly opinionated one way or the other. There are good and bad rescues as well as breeders. What matters is you finding the dog that's right for you...that's all. My dogs were both shelter dogs. But my opinion is if there was a breeder who guaranteed having a pup like my Callie I would have spent far more money than I did to have him and would have been happy to do it.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Caledonia, Apr 11 4:55 pm

Behavior & Training > Guarding my bedroom and bed...Help!

Opheila

Barked: Fri Apr 11, '14 2:34pm PST 
Sophie went through a phase like this too. She'd growl at my husband when he tried to get in bed with me. Obviously this was not going to fly. It took about a month of EVERY time she even raised her lip at him even with no growl I picked her up and put her in the hall.
Not being able to get to me is probably the worst punishment she can imagine but she had to learn cause and effect. If you even look at Daddy funny while you're on his bed...out you go. She learned and hasn't tried it since.
It's important that you be the one disciplining, he'll probably snap at anyone else. Whatever you do, don't let it cross his mind to growl or snap at YOU. Sophie tested me once. I'm very quiet normally, raising my voice while looking in her eyes worked.
She dropped her whole body down cowering. I never had to speak in that tone again, well except when she kills squirrels.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Clyde, Apr 12 7:50 am

Choosing the Right Dog > I have no idea what to do with him!recently adopted,might return HELP!!!

Caledonia

Barked: Wed Apr 9, '14 4:47pm PST 
First off you have my deepest sympathy. I adopted Misha as a puppy, purebred Siberian. In her first month with us she...
Ate the wallpaper off as far as she could reach in the bathroom
Howled whenever we stepped out the door
Knocked my two year old over like a bowling pin...regularly
Made the kitchen chairs chewy toys
Was too much dog for a modest sized apartment, but my brother took over from there.
He had a full fenced yard and the patience and strength to get her regular exercise and training. She failed obedience school a few times before they got it manageable. Even into old age she could leap a six foot cyclone fence, speaking of six feet, that was the depth of the trench she dug circling the yard.
All that being said, huskies are gorgeous, intelligent, strong, strong-willed but with the right training and plenty of vigorous exercise you can have a truly amazing dog. Best of luck to you!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Caledonia, Apr 9 4:47 pm

Behavior & Training > Opinion on Open Fencing
Opheila

Barked: Mon Mar 31, '14 1:25pm PST 
Actually walking residential areas with Sophie puts my fur on edge anyways. It's a bit easier to walk her down main streets where I have a clear view what or who is ahead of us. dog walk
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Onyx & Ruby, Mar 31 6:49 pm

(Page 1 of 109: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.