Postings by Opheila's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 112: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Teaching Callie to be Less Protective?
Caledonia

Sad-Eyed Doggie- of the Lowlands

Barked: Mon Jun 16, '14 5:23pm PST 
Could use some advice. Callie is terrific with other dogs, cats, children, adults during the day as long as they're not in uniform...yeah mail carriers and police people seem to piss him off.
But the problem is at night. He seems hyper protective of me when we walk at night. Not the best neighborhood so that can be a good thing in moderation. But any people at night, even driving by or sitting in a parked car.
How can I gently get him to tone it down? The young man waiting for a bus doesn't need to hear a Cujo rattle from the darkness ya know? It's embarrassing sometimes, you're supposed to be an ambassador for the breed dumdum
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Mulder, Jun 16 5:55 pm

Behavior & Training > Dangerous Dogs Indeed...
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Jun 15, '14 9:55am PST 
Yes you made a good point there. All the breeds on the list are not for first time dog owners no matter how well meaning they might be. And also yes despite the fact that even a cocker spaniel will attack if you beat it bad enough...a bigger stronger dog is going to more damage. I just hate seeing bullies on another **** list. Like you say most people can't identify an actual pit bull, it's usually subjective. It also turns into journalistic shorthand...dog attack...pitbull...and it was a big headed akita mix...just sad.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Jun 15 9:55 am

Puppy Place > Let's Play "Guess My Breed!"

Opheila

Barked: Sat Jun 14, '14 12:31pm PST 
I definitely see chi, I am kissing my computer screenlittle angel
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Jun 14 12:31 pm

Behavior & Training > Dangerous Dogs Indeed...

Caledonia

Barked: Fri Jun 13, '14 6:48pm PST 
I know a site that calls itself Puppy Toob isn't going to be full of any science rockets but this list is obscene.
St. Bernards and Great Danes by virtue of just being BIG...D'oh
Chows I've had limited experience with and maybe they're more adult dogs than family dogs, but I don't know about dangerous
Dobermans, I used to know two dobies quite well. Their owners dressed them in shirts and they were at every party, big lovable galoots
Malamutes and Huskies-I had a huskie once. Strong, energetic, ideal working dogs, did I say energetic? But dangerous no
I think most of us agree that with hybrids it's iffy to know how much wolf we're talking about
German Shepherds and Rottweilers-Trained as any number of service dogs, police dogs, and yes guard dogs. Also particularly with GSD's one of the most devoted dogs you'll ever know
Then of course numero uno on this list...wait for it...The Evil Pit!
There wasn't anywhere to contact these idiots so I wrote in their rescue story section. Briefly covering how we came to adopt Sophie and Callie. How they are the perfect dog for us. Then I revealed their breed and said they should be ashamed of themselves. Saying they're dog lovers while promoting hate and BSL laws.
Pathetic, ignorant, that's what's dangerous

http://puppytoob.com/dog-breeds/the-10-most-dangerous-d og-breeds-based-on-biting-statistics/

eekeekeekeekeekconfused Hey maybe we could pack up all the spambots and send them to puppy toob
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Jun 15 9:55 am

Puppy Place > Third time seeing neighbor's dog loose...any advice..?

Opheila

Barked: Thu Jun 12, '14 6:41pm PST 
I agree, in this situation you might be able to reason with these people somehow. You're worried about their dogs, you're worried about your dogs, and maybe you can find a way to work together.
I just hate electric fences...
There are people down the way that have one up to the sidewalk line. It's facing a busy street and there are wild critters around here too. We have to avoid that block and that poor dog is a sitting duck.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Savannah Blue Belle, Jun 13 6:02 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > Outback Steak Restaurant in Cumming Georgia Defends dog locked in Hot Car
Opheila

Barked: Thu Jun 12, '14 12:52pm PST 
That's outrageous...where we live if you leave a dog in a car even on a cool day and someone reports it the police come, animal control comes, they open your car or truck, take custody of the dog, and give you a lecture on why you don't leave critters in the car, and then a huge fine besides.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Jun 12 12:52 pm

Behavior & Training > Dog spending time with other members of the household

Caledonia

Barked: Wed Jun 11, '14 3:07pm PST 
I agree that some one on one training time and/or a daily hike would be great bonding. Callie is like your dog sometimes. He knows the timeframe when his Daddy gets home so he waits downstairs at night. But before that I'll take him out for an hour walk just the two of us. I'd say he's equally attached to both of us now.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jun 12 12:10 am

Behavior & Training > GOOD OR BAD IDEA?!?!? Small and Large Breed Living Together?

Caledonia

Barked: Fri Jun 6, '14 3:17pm PST 
Something difficult to predict is submissive or dominant when introducing dogs to each other. They can have a totally different personality with a new housemate. Sophie's public persona is fearful. She avoids people especially children, dog aggressive, cat aggressive. Our house cats however have been known to corner her. She'll stand in the corner whimpering until I rescue her.

Callie in public is fearless. He doesn't shy away from anything. If there's a strange noise he's on it immediately. When we walk at night he'll hear people before I do and will stand there staring them down protecting me. Cats don't faze him in the least, other dogs are fine, no problem.

But at home Sophie is in charge. She'll sometimes bark at him to drop his treat. He'll hang his head and let her have the treat. If she wants his bowl instead of her own he gives it to her. We intervene if she pushes him around too much. But he never fights back with her. It's like a Mom and puppy relationship. He is several years younger but they're both adults.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jun 15 4:51 pm

Behavior & Training > Interview Tomorrow-Need Training Buzzwords

Caledonia

Barked: Fri Jun 6, '14 1:46pm PST 
Thank you Nare, that's exactly what the manager told me. I think the interview went really well, paws crossedmeditate
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Caledonia, Jun 6 1:46 pm

Behavior & Training > GOOD OR BAD IDEA?!?!? Small and Large Breed Living Together?
Caledonia

Barked: Thu Jun 5, '14 4:55pm PST 
With the right dogs size isn't an issue. Callie is an American Bulldog, about 70lbs of solid muscle. One of his best friends is a pug...small dog with big personality. If you could see them playing tag it's hilarious. Because of his build Callie isn't too fast on his feet and the pug can fly.
They race around the yard until Callie lays down, happy and exhausted. We also have six cats. The dogs are a non issue with them. The boy cats in particular enjoy befriending the dogs.
The only thing you have to be careful with for any bully breed is they can play rough. When we're at the dog park I'm very careful who Callie plays with. Sophie is equal in size and faster than him. But he is a very strong guy. If he tried to wrestle say a Jack Russell I'd stop it immediately. They can hurt other dogs accidently so you have to choose playmates carefully.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Jun 15 4:51 pm

(Page 1 of 112: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.