Postings by Mitchell Rapp "Black Ops"'s Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 111: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Food & Nutrition > Someone 'hates' Champion Pet Foods.
Madison- Ainsley

I- ammmmm....Hoooow- ie Girl!

Barked: Thu Nov 21, '13 10:20pm PST 
All I can do is laugh and think that maybe the "hate for Champion Foods" story teller actually works for Science Diet and has fallen for all those "studies".
As far as stating that she works for a Veterinarian and they have seen so many cases coming in with kidney problems caused by the high protein in Acana or Orijen, all I can say is that after 17 years as a Licensed Veterinary Technician in a very progressive Veterinary hospital with both traditional and Holistic Veterinarians on staff, I can honestly state that over the past 5 years and especially since the big food recalls in '08, we have seen our kidney problem cases drop and we can attribute this to the better foods out there and the wonderful research that our educated clients have done in the food area. They are now aware that feeding the big commercial foods are not all that they are cracked up to be. They are feeding more raw, better proteins, USA or Canadian sourced foods. They are not feeding foods that are grain heavy, they are feeding species appropriate foods.
It is not the amount of protein they are eating that matters, it is the type of proteins they are eating that effect the kidneys. The kidneys need good protein.
Whoever did write the article about Champion needs to read up and research species appropriate whole foods for our pets. Not fall for the propaganda that the huge animal food companies are touting out.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Firefly, Dec 2 7:35 am

Food & Nutrition > Switching food & would appreciate opinions
Madison- Ainsley

Barked: Thu Nov 21, '13 10:06pm PST 
Have you looked into Acana, great foods and they now have limited ingredient formulas. As far as your itchy dog, she may need more fatty acids added such as a good fish oil with at least 500mg DHA/EPA, coconut oil, flax seed oils. I am a big believer in changing foods very often, I feed different food all the time but I am a big raw food feeder along with Acana and Orijen. I add different meats all the time, I add beef heart, small amounts of liver, tripe. Dogs who are fed the same foods can overtime develop allergies to the food.
As far as your pup with a sensitive tummy you can make a great "cocktail" with slippery elm, aloe vera, acidophilus and chlorophyll, the slippery elm will coat the tummy, the aloe heals and soothes ulcers and the acidophilus is a probiotic. I work with a holistic veterinarian, we tell owners about this cocktail all the time, it works great, my dogs get it every night before bed. If you would like the recipe you can message me and I will send it to you. There is nothing in the cocktail that will harm your pup, it can only help.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Sandy Baby ♥, Dec 1 6:46 pm

Food & Nutrition > Suddenly starving!

Madison- Ainsley

Barked: Thu Nov 21, '13 9:57pm PST 
Has Bella had any blood work done lately? Because she is not eating well and seems to be losing weight I would have a chem panel done to include thyroid.
As a Vet Tech I always recommend having blood work done at least once a year if anything to be pro-active and not reactive if our dogs start to act ill or just not right.
If all comes out normal,then I would rethink the foods that you are feeding. Is she on just kibble? If so can you add some chicken, beef or high quality canned food to entice Bella? Dogs can and do become bored with their foods and should have their food changed up often, change the proteins often. Add different meats, yogurt, liver, beef heart or any high value food Bella may be interested in.
Best wishes and I hope you can come up with an answer.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Bella, Nov 22 2:02 pm

Dog Health > so confused

Madison- Ainsley

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 9:26pm PST 
Have to agree about the nail being broken under the nail bed. I have seen this at the clinic many times. Xrays are not going to show it.
I know you worked for this particular Vet but have you thought about getting a second opinion at this point? You have been there for the same reason without any answers, that must be frustrating to you and your cuteness pup.
If the nail is broken up in the nail bed your pup may have to be fully sedated once again and the nail bed really probed and the nail may have to be cut all the way back. The nail will grow back.
I do hope you will be able to figure this all out, poor pup, ouch.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , Sep 10 9:00 am

Dog Health > Liver disease???

Mitchell- Rapp "Black- Ops"

Barked: Mon Jul 22, '13 10:38pm PST 
Look into giving your pup Milk Thistle, it helps the liver heal. Mitchell is taking it as he has IMHA and the meds he is on cause big liver problems. Milk thistle has really helped, his liver counts have come way down. You can look into the benefits of Milk Thistle on line. Have they tested him for cushings?
I hope your pup feels better soon.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Vance CGC, Jul 30 3:10 pm

Dog Health > How do I help my second dog with the grieving process?
Nakita Mae- Angel Girl

Live to dock- dive!

Barked: Thu Jul 18, '13 10:27pm PST 
I am so very sorry about your loss, so sad. When we lost our Kayak, Nakita was just so very sad, when I talked with a friend who is an animal communicator suggested that I just sit down with Nakita and talk to her but at the same time I needed to visualize what I was trying to say. We were sitting outside one evening, a very quiet and peaceful evening, I told her that Kayak loves her and misses her very much but he is fine and will always be with her and will wait for her. I was thinking in pictures that whole time, Nakita was sitting very close, and slowly "melted" into my lap, very calm, she just looked up at me for the longest time which made me cry, I hugged her neck and told her I loved her at which time she got up, wagged her tail and grabbed her ball. Off we went for a walk and ya know she did seem better after that. Still missing Kayak but she seemed more sure of herself and more Nakita.
I just lost Nakita last year to hemangiosarcoma, I still miss her and Kayak (and Gunner too) but somehow Nakita touches my heart every time I see her beautiful eyes in my heart.
Hug your precious dog, love her completely and she will understand.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Nakita Mae Angel Girl, Jul 18 10:27 pm

Raw Food Diet > Camping and day long trips

Barked: Mon Jul 8, '13 10:32pm PST 
Hey there, we do a lot of camping and during those times we switch to Honest Kitchen, super easy to keep in zip lock bags, you can even rehydrate it in the zip lock bag, works great. We have a travel trailer so we do keep raw food in the fridge/freezer for when we are in camp. But on our day hikes we bring Honest Kitchen.
Have fun camping.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jul 13 11:50 pm

Dog Health > Caval Syndrome?

Madison- Ainsley

Barked: Thu May 16, '13 9:53pm PST 
Has your current Vet done any blood work???? Any chest xrays? Anything besides suggest he give her a steriod injection? What is the steriod for??? What is he trying to treat, without diagnostics how can he know what is going on? Sounds like what he told you to "give her syrup" he was thinking she was hypoglycemia which can certainly cause big problems. Has she been tested for diabetes?
I have to agree with Kali, I would seek a second opinion right away. With the wt loss, vomiting, lethargic and not eating I would not wait another day nor would I consider giving my dog a steriod injection unless he absolutely knows what he is treating.
Best wishes, I do hope Lulu feels better soon.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 16 10:25 pm

Raw Food Diet > Cornish Game Hens??

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 9:58pm PST 
I just bought a few cornish game hens to feed to Madison and Mitchell but I am alittle worried about the bones, weird as they have been one raw since they were 8 weeks old and have never had a problem with anything.
Do I just give the dogs the whole game hen or cut it up? Anyone out there feed these little hens with success?
I am always trying to find different proteins to feed the pups.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, May 16 9:07 am

Dog Health > Need reassurance... I hope I'm not making a bad decision

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 10:32pm PST 
Ahhh...the intense sniffing and chattering thing, Mitchell can get SO...envolved with all that but that is where having some high value treats can come in handy laugh out loud. But I do have to admit that the first time he met an intact female who just had pup about 3 weeks before the meeting, that sent him right into "I have completely lost my mind, I don't remember anything at all" he was a mess all day, he was humping anything he came in contact with that was soft and squishy such as his dog bed, the cats, Madison (my other Golden) his stuffed animals. Needless to say I was so close to bringing him to work and neutering him but we got over it and he is still intact.

I have never had a problem with him being aggressive, in fact neutered males will come over to him and start being rough, he will show his "hey, I am not a threat, I just to play" he will roll over until the dog backs off and away he goes to play.

Mitchell is intact as I don't neuter my males until they are 2 due to growth plate closure. Also, Mitchell is on a breeding contract with our breeder so we still need to get all his certs which will not happen until he is 2 and then we will decide about breeding.

I have found that my females are the more assertive ones in the pack whether they are spayed or not, they have always ran our pack. Madison is 8 months younger than Mitchell and she is definately more "assertive".

Bottom line, Nix is your dog, it is up to you whether you choose to neuter him or not. I think the fact that you are taking the time to figure out what is best for Nix is nice. I see so many owners who think nothing about spaying/neutering their dogs when they are only 8 weeks old, terrible.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Kip & Oogie, May 7 8:56 pm

(Page 1 of 111: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.