Postings by Winn's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 34: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Laws & Legislation > Attacked by a cat!
Winn

Baby polar bears- aren't even this- cute!

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 11:14am PST 
I wasn't here when it happened, but I'm sure the BF didn't have much time to think as he ran out into the snow barefoot in his boxers laugh out loud
I'm sure water would have been better, but I'm also sure he was in a bit of a panic and just wanted to get the two apart and make sure they were both ok. He said he finally just held Winnie totally still and the cat let go and bolted up the tree.
I did check the town ordinances online and they also have no mention of cats at all. They aren't even required to be licensed, so I can't imagine how I'd even find the owner of any given cat. Even our neighbor, who thought it might be her cat till she got a closer look, had no idea who the cat belonged to.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Sara, Jan 12 8:43 pm

Winn

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 10:50am PST 
I said to the BF that the cat was really lucky it didn't try that crap when we still had Misty, or this story would have had a much different ending. I know Misty would have killed a cat in a second given the chance.
Winnie actually likes cats and wasn't trying to hurt the cat at all, just get it to let go of her! If the cat hadn't been hurting her it probably would have been comical to see a 20 lb cat go after a 75 lb dog. However, I suspect that if she had hurt the cat we would have been in for a battle of our own.

Cobain, that law never went through, and it was for only one small city in VT. I looked at the state statutes and they only mention dogs and livestock, I found nothing about cats. Which I find quite odd since cats must damage property too, they could kill rabbits (especially baby ones), or some kind of birds/fowl, and I know they are notorious for digging up flower and veggie gardens to use as bathrooms. You would think that there would have been enough incidents that there would be some form of regulation on cats, especially since there are SO many for dogs!
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Sara, Jan 12 8:43 pm

Winn

Barked: Sun Jan 1, '12 10:21am PST 
I know it sounds odd, but it's exactly what happened a few days ago. Don't worry, she's already seen a vet and is just fine.
Winnie and Fagan were playing in the backyard and my BF was watching them through the kitchen window. A neighbors cat jumped over our fence and ran up to Winn and swatted her in the face and then went after her full force. My BF ran out the door to break up the fight, but every time he tried to get the cat to let go it would dig in it's claws harder and Winnie would whine louder. He finally got the cat loose and it ran up a tree. Winnie was bleeding from several places and had a deep scratch near her left eye, a deep puncture in a paw pad, and another puncture in her right front "elbow". After a few hours the elbow started to swell and she started limping pretty badly. We called the vet and scheduled an appointment for the next day. She's all fixed up and the elbow is fine now, but it made me wonder...
What could I possibly do to find the owner of the cat if her injuries were more severe? Is the owner of the cat even liable for anything? As far as I know there are no leash laws for cats in Vermont and cats aren't required to wear collars or tags of any kind for identification or proof of rabies vaccination. This was on our own property and my securely contained dog was minding it's own business when the cat trespassed. Not that I think it's likely to happen again, but I am really curious!
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Sara, Jan 12 8:43 pm

Dog Health > Sparse hair on belly - is this normal?

Fagan

Lil' Bro

Barked: Thu Dec 22, '11 5:19am PST 
Fagan had almost no hair at all on his belly when we first got him from Mississippi. After just a couple of harsh Winters he now has a very fuzzy tummy.

I guess dogs adapt much better and quicker than we do, or all of us Vermonters would be way harrier! laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Lucille, Dec 23 8:36 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > New here

Winn

Barked: Thu Dec 22, '11 5:15am PST 
I'm so glad that you are still looking for his family. It's so nice to hear from a responsible person smile

I just worry sometimes, because my dogs are so friendly and well behaved, that if they ran off and got lost someone would be likely to want to keep them.

Congrats on your new friend, I hope everything works out for both of you!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Beau *R.I.P*, Dec 22 10:57 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > New here
Winn

Barked: Mon Dec 19, '11 4:39am PST 
I know you're excited, and that's great, and I really don't want to hurt your feelings or make you feel like I'm blaming you for anything, but I have to ask a couple of questions.

You say that they only found him a week ago? That isn't very long. What did they do to try and locate his family? Did they call animal control? Local shelters? Vets (I know you said he wasn't chipped)? Did they make "found dog" posters or post an ad in the paper or on a local website?

Again, I'm not trying to hurt your feelings, but I would be devastated if one of my dogs went missing, and I know sometimes people assume lost dogs are "strays". I'm not even sure they had a legal right to adopt him out. I just would hate for you to be walking your new friend one day and have someone run up to you screaming "That's my dog!", it would be a very tough situation for everyone, and for the dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Beau *R.I.P*, Dec 22 10:57 am

Akita > Advice needed please!

Winn

Barked: Fri Dec 16, '11 2:46am PST 
Congratulations on your new addition! We just adopted Winnie in September, so I understand any anxiety you might have over bringing home a new dog, especially a rather large breed one.
I think a long walk is a good idea. It doesn't sound as if you have any other dogs, but if you do be sure to bring them along, group walks are a great bonding exercise!
Be sure that your house has been "puppyproofed" before you bring your new friend in. Nothing dangerous or valuable down low (or in an Akita's case anything below waist height), and watch those power cords in case she's a chewer.
Make sure to grab a bottle of Natures Miracle, or some other kind of enzyme cleanser, in case she has an accident (or in the case of Winn decides to mark her new home by squatting on the big dog bed 5 seconds after she was in the door!).
Enjoy your new pup! big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Mar 13 6:37 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Horrible Breed Ambassador

Winn

Barked: Sun Dec 11, '11 7:04pm PST 
Having just acquired an Akita, which I never personally considered to be a "dangerous" breed (at least not more so than any other extra large breed) I totally get where you're coming from, and it really is a catch 22. You want people to understand that the breed is not inherently bad, so that BSL doesn't continue to grow out of fear and ignorance, but you don't want people thinking that the breed is easy or else they will get one, fail to train it, and prove to everyone that in the wrong hands any breed can be a monster!

People get so offended when you try to tell them that there are just some breeds that aren't great for inexperienced dog owners, or for owners that would be considered "passive", the type that more or less do the minimum amount of work and otherwise really ignore the dog. Because of the immense popularity of pet dogs, a lot of people forget that the dog has deeply rooted instincts that if ignored can manifest themselves as unwanted behaviors. Like the example given before; a super high energy dog that isn't properly worked finding another outlet for that energy in the form of chewing, or sometimes it's digging, or even dog or human aggression.

How do you get non dog savvy people to really understand and look past the well behaved dog to see how much time and effort is really involved, to see the kind of dedication and commitment that the owners of that dog have?
shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 33 posts. Last posting by , Dec 28 7:42 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Couldn't even make it for Christmas. RIP Chance.

Misty *RIP- Mommy's- Angel*

Is that food for- me???

Barked: Sun Dec 11, '11 6:53am PST 
Chance's person,

Please, please, please don't beat yourself up about not going to the vet sooner. I tortured myself for weeks after we had to have Misty pts, because I knew I had felt something odd near her ribcage 6 months before she stated showing other signs of illness. No one else could feel it, my BF said I was imagining things and that all I was feeling was her rib, I asked the vet and she and the tech both felt nothing unusual, but I knew.
Once she started acting sick she went downhill very fast. She had x-rays, bloodwork, and an ultrasound to confirm on a Thursday, and we had to let her go that Saturday after everyone said their goodbyes. Now, several moths after her passing I think back and I'm glad that we didn't find the tumor sooner. Like with your pup it was completely inoperable. She had masses attached to the blood vessels of her liver, kidneys, and spleen. Even if we had caught when I first thought I noticed a lump there was absolutely nothing that could have been done to save her. Not knowing gave me 6 more happy months with my best friend. 6 months of treating her normally, instead of treating her like she had a death sentence.
I know what you mean about feeling like a pet has been with you much longer than it has. I had Misty for two and a half wonderful years, but it felt like she had always been here. It's even harder to let go when you have such a deep and instant connection with an animal, we just "got" each other. Time and only time can heal your hurt, I'm tearing up just typing this, but when we first let her go I was an absolute mess. I couldn't eat, or sleep, and I cried constantly for days. It's ok, let it out, be a mess, your friends and family will understand. The pain will fade, but the memories won't, you will find peace in time.

Strength, support, and puppy love coming your way from me and my pups!
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Taz, Dec 22 1:09 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Shocked to see a Briard up for adoption!
Winn

Barked: Sat Dec 10, '11 5:29am PST 
I was browsing through petfinder this morning, I just like to look sometimes, when I saw this gorgeous young Briard.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/21366938

I have never ever seen one in person, and I have never seen one in rescue around here. Just so surprising to see a fairly rare breed come up for adoption. It just proves that if you are patient you really can get any breed you would like without going to a breeder smile
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Nicky, Dec 13 7:26 pm

(Page 1 of 34: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.