Postings by Blake's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Behavior & Training > Misbehaving in stores
Blake

Once a stray now- a beloved family- member

Barked: Sun Feb 26, '12 12:49am PST 
Blake's a great boy at home and on walks. Not many problems there at all and I'm hoping to get him in some obedience classes but I need to solve one issue first before putting him in classes.

His public manners in stores is horrible! He turns into a demon dog! He pulls on his leash and barks non stop and there's nothing you can do to get him to refocus and stop. It's embarrassing. I know he's a huge sweetheart and just wants to play, but to everybody else he looks and sounds like this huge viscious dog that shouldn't be out by people or other animals.

On walks when he sees other dogs he'll whine, but unless he actually gets to meet the dog whining is the extent of that. At the dog park he doesn't even seem interested in other dogs and won't make a sound and listens when I call him. He doesn't even bark at home much unless he's playing with one of the other dogs or he really "needs" something.

How can I get him to be better behaved in stores? I want to be able to take him out and get him in some classes, but until we can get his public manners in stores better that won't happen.

Any tips are very appreciated.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Mr. Jake the Beagle, Feb 26 1:27 am

Dog Health > itchy skin relief?
Blake

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '12 9:53pm PST 
Blake (along with Max and Blizzy) has a flea allergy and has been itchy and low on hair on his rump since we found hime 5 months ago. Whenever he gets his flea meds the hair comes back a bit but he's still chewing his tail until it bleeds and the hair doesn't get a chance to fully grow back. I feel bad for him since he seems to get the itchies the worst of them all. I just gave him a bath with some oatmeal flea shampoo but does anybody know a good dry itchy skin remedy?

Also, Blake's got a case of puppy acne on his chin/under his nose. I've read normal acne meds work and tea tree oil. Has anybody used either on their dog for acne before and if so did it work well?
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Terra, Feb 14 8:00 am

Local Tips, Playdates & Meetups > Anybody go to the Lakewood dog park in Ohio?

Blake

Barked: Sat Oct 8, '11 12:30pm PST 
Blake gets taken there a lot and could schedule a group meet up.

Also anybody ever go to Bow Wow Beach in Stow? We learned about this on Friday and are considering taking Blake out there sometime. Would also be a nice meet up place.
http://bowwowbeach.org/
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Java, May 30 8:36 am

Labrador Retriever > Am I a full lab?

Blake

Barked: Mon Oct 3, '11 2:10pm PST 
Well as we get older the head's rounding out and we're looking more and more like a purebred lab shrug

nd have a huge and cute personality! And are getting some well needed clicker training basics down . Just wish it wasn't rainy out today. We were planning on getting him out to the dog park.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Blake, Oct 3 2:10 pm

Puppy Place > Finally filling out!

Blake

Barked: Mon Oct 3, '11 1:47pm PST 
First off he loves the people at the vet's office (and they just adore him too!) and his stitches are all out and as soon as the weather's nice again he's going on his first trip to the dog park to burn off some of this energy.

The older he gets the more labbish he looks. That square head's rounding out and he looks more and more like a purebred daily. He is quite the character and a cutie and now under going clicker training.

Just a 5 minute course for the first time today and he's starting to get lie down pretty good and already knows sit very well. Even Daisy can sit and lie down and we didn't know she actually knew those commands since she never does them laugh out loud

He had a week of bad habits that I almost had to ask about but that's been solved. After he got fixed he would only go into the garage and pee/poo and not outside anymore. But we figured it out. He missed our daily walks shrug since I wasn't supposed to take him on long walks for a week we didn't go and once I started taking him again he was fine. What a brat!

Hope all your pups and older dogs are doing good! Happy October!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Grunt CGC, Oct 5 2:47 pm

Behavior & Training > finger nibbling?
Blake

Barked: Thu Sep 22, '11 1:11pm PST 
He doesn't mean to hurt, he just doesn't realise he's big and strong laugh out loud try having an 80lb lapdog who thinks he's the size of a 13lb dog!

Definately sounds like looking for protection or reassurance though.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Sep 22 1:32 pm

Behavior & Training > face rubbing when happy

Blake

Barked: Thu Sep 22, '11 12:24pm PST 
It happens a lot! After baths all of our dogs go CRAZY with running and rolling around. Same with after hair cuts. After eating if something's stuck between their cheeks and gums same thing. Blizzard will roll on the floor making the world's weirdest noises for no other reason than just because she can (which Blake starts trying to do now laugh out loud)

When Daisy had ear drops I'd give them to her and Max would get jalous so I'd pretend to give them to him too (don't tell him!) and he'd go over and rub his head on the couch and chairs because I "gave him ear drops" laugh out loud he's a weirdo

I'm just assuming this is a normal behavior (least for my pooches)
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Sep 23 8:41 pm

Behavior & Training > finger nibbling?

Blake

Barked: Thu Sep 22, '11 12:11pm PST 
She may just be looking for your reassurance that everything's ok or your protection. Blake will nibble my fingers (or arm or hair or ear) but not out of nervousness. He does the nibbling like if he was grooming me and he does it out of love and affection (love hurts right? haha) so maybe that has something to do with it too if it's not only when she's scared/nervous/anxious
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Sep 22 1:32 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Lucky is looking for a Forever Home

Blake

Barked: Thu Sep 22, '11 12:07pm PST 
Aw I wish I could help you out! Good luck to you and hope you find him a home so he doesn't have to go to the pound! Try placing an ad on PetFinder and Craigs List too/ Might find people there. Good luck!

wishes
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Blake, Sep 22 12:07 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Big Black Dog Syndrome
Blake

Barked: Wed Sep 21, '11 5:34pm PST 
Apparently black dogs are just as loved in shelters as black cats are. People look past the black dogs because of their color (many think black dogs are more aggressive or do the black cat superstition thing with the dogs) or because the other dogs are more flashy and noticeable or even just because their pictures online aren't as good as other dogs! (seriously, I get a dog for personality not online picture looks)

It's sad because a lot of black dogs are being put down or spending a good chunk of their lives in cages all because of their color (along with black cats!)

So I'm just posting this here to raise a bit of awareness about this issue and saying if you wanna adopt a dog, don't forget about these sweet big black pooches (or cats!) Not saying you have to take home the black one only, but don't go and not consider it just because he's black.

This is a real thing too. Google it. We never heard about it until this past weekend and it's truely heartbreaking.

Raise awareness, help the poor black animals being ignored just for their color or appearance on a picture online
[notify]
» There has since been 34 posts. Last posting by , Oct 6 4:24 am

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.