Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 33: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Raw Food Diet > 55lb lab mix - going full raw?
Olive

Lab/Rottie/Chow/- Shepherd Mix!

Barked: Sun May 19, '13 2:23pm PST 
So how long should I do plain chicken for? A week? Two weeks?
Then start adding in organs and other meats?

No problem getting plain old bone-in meats here - we have a good selection of fresh chicken parts that are unprocessed - chicken legs, thighs, whole chickens, half chickens, chicken wings, gizzards/hearts, etc.

We also have turkey legs/thighs/necks, beef ribs, and usually a selection of offal meats - various, beef kidney/heart/livers and chicken livers --

Is this enough variety to do a full raw diet?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , May 19 7:05 pm

Raw Food Diet > 55lb lab mix - going full raw?
Olive

Barked: Sun May 19, '13 11:25am PST 
My lab/shepherd mix has had recurring skin infections... NUMEROUS trips to the vet has resulted in prescriptions of antibiotics and steroids and diet changes... but NOTHING SOLVES THE ISSUE... Olive has always been fed grain free/high quality foods with a mix of raw here and there but I'm fed up... thinking of doing FULL STRAIGHT RAW...

Need to know, how much to give a day???? (How many lbs for a 55 lb dog?) and to split up into 2 meals, or just 1 big one?

And --- what does a typical weekly menu look like?

I know about raw, just need to know how to tailor it for my dog specifically.

Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , May 19 7:05 pm

Dog Health > Can't get Interceptor...now what?

Olive

Barked: Sat Mar 23, '13 3:20pm PST 
Previous Interceptor user here too! My dog loved it.... and I liked it because it took care of nearly everything.

We switched to Iverhart Plus (generic for Heartguard) but I definitely feel for those with ivermectin-sensitive dogs.

Look for coupons!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 23 4:33 pm

Food & Nutrition > Confession time. What's the worst snack/food thing you'll still give your dog?

Olive

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '13 3:02pm PST 
Pizza Crust.

Mac & Cheese.

We're cutting that out now, though, since Olive has strange allergies & we're not sure to what.
[notify]
» There has since been 57 posts. Last posting by , Jan 22 4:22 pm

Dog Health > Dog going to vet tomorrow - help!

Olive

Barked: Sun Jan 6, '13 11:24am PST 
Hi guys, an update --

The vet said Olive had an active skin infection and prescribed antibiotics and steroids and a shampoo (mal-a-ket).

I also got Natural Balance LID (fish & potato) and Grizzly Salmon Oil to help her from the inside out.

The vet isn't sure what's causing her problems but thinks its allergies and she says to keep to a limited ingredient diet for now to rule out food allergies, and to clean everything & toss out all chemicals and use vinegar/water mix to clean.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jan 6 11:24 am

Dog Health > Dog going to vet tomorrow - help!
Olive

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 4:32pm PST 
Little Olive is having trouble again. It seems this dog was born without an immune system. frown

Olive is really itchy and "patchy" looking (loss of fur in areas). She also has terrible dandruff, on her back especially. She is often licking the base of her tail and stomach -- which have lost hair -- and she licks her paws, which I've found develop red sores that heal then come back, and she develops small quarter-size sores on her body that scab over.

Background & Diet/Health Info:

She's a rescue from Mississippi and was found on the streets at around 8-10 weeks old. We've had her since 13 weeks old and she is our little baby. She's had all her shots on schedule, and eats a mix of raw and grain-free kibble (usually TOTW but also Wellness and Blue Buffalo Wilderness). She gets monthly Iverhart for heartworm/pest control, and this fall we had to use Sentry flea/tick preventative because we had such a terrible flea infestation in the apartment building.

She had a few fleas one month ago and we treated her and the whole apartment. Now she is flea free.

We went away to visit family last week and she was not itchy and appeared to heal, which really made us happy - however, as soon as we got back home she began itching again, which makes me think it's something in our apartment.

We thought Olive was sensitive before, so we changed everything -- her diet, detergent, chemicals we use in the house... nothing seems obvious. We have given her baths with Sulfadene medicated dog shampoo to clear up itching and dandruff and she looks and feels great for like a day, then goes right back to itching and licking.

Anyway, we are going to the vet tomorrow morning. What should I tell the vet, and ask her to do???
Are there any tests that you think should ask to be run???

Sometimes the vet just does a glance over and then recommends diet change or some other at-home remedy, but we've already tried that. I'm really hoping it's something that can be cured with antibiotics.

Help!!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jan 6 11:24 am

Dog Health > Just Need Advice, Please

Olive

Barked: Sat Oct 20, '12 11:14am PST 
It's possible your dog caught a cold at the vet office, at the kennel, or just before being boarded.

Kennel cough does have a cough to it, but if you're unsure, you can always call your vet or set an appointment.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Oct 20 5:00 pm

Dog Health > Recommended Probiotic

Olive

Barked: Sat Oct 20, '12 5:14am PST 
I just give Olive spoonfuls of Stonyfield organic plain whole yogurt - it has active live cultures in it.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Oct 20 5:14 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Out of state adoption...nervous.

Olive

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '12 6:03am PST 
Olive came to us from out of state.

http://allpawstransport.com/

She was put on a transport that goes along a route from Mississippi to Maine.

I believe shelters and fosters and rescue groups need to pay for a slot on the transport truck - and it's about $150/dog. The people were legit, all animals were properly vet checked before crossing state lines and the site even had a tracker where you could track the transport truck. When we decided we wanted Olive, we were given a pick up time and location by the rescue group to meet the transport truck. It was at a truck stop off the highway. smile

I just wouldn't pay anything until you have the dog in hand.

Olive's profile on Petfinder told us that she was in Mississippi, but when we we contacted the adoption agency we were shocked to learn she was already on the transport and would be in Maine the next day. Sometimes I guess they place puppies they feel have a good chance of being adopted along the way on the truck before they actually have an adopter (That's the way it was explained to me). We were the last stop. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by , Oct 14 3:45 pm

Dog Health > Hydrocephalus Hope
Olive

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 5:23pm PST 
Also curious about the Maine visit - that's where I and I'm SO HAPPY to hear you're doing well! way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Sep 29 6:27 pm

(Page 1 of 33: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.